• Please log in to reply
1234 replies to this topic

#21 Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries
  • Administrators
  • LocationCirencester, United Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

Hi All,

Just discovered your forum and thought I'd give it a whirl.

I am 59, married and live now in Yorkshire although hailing from Scotland. 

I model in Japanese N but also in HO (USA and European), On30 and TT(continental)!

I am now on my fourth Japanese N exhibition layout 'Katami Mittsu'.  It's predecessor, 'Katamitu' was recently featured in the UK magazine Model Rail.

oooooo! Pictures please if you have them in the Showing Off Board!

Welcome again Norm from the Administrators of JNS
Why not choose an avatar? Go to "Profile" and explore what options are available to you.

#22 Guest_Bernard_*

Guest_Bernard_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:50 PM

Norm,
Welcome to JNS and yes please post photos of your layout and tell us about it. If you also have photos showing the stages of development of the layout please post them in the construction platform.

#23 Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths
  • New Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the welcolme!
i live in the UK and have been collecting Japanese N gauge models for a couple of years but upto know I haven't got round to building a layout, mainly due to the size of area I've got in which to build a layout. Therefore I have decided to build a small 8x2ft layout mainly as a test piece until I find room to build a bigger one. Just can't make my mind up on what to model ! whether a small industry or a motive power depot I don't know. I have decided to use Kato track mainly to keep faith with using Japanese items. If anyone has any ideas of what to model or where I can find referance material then it would be very helpful to me.
Thanks
Mark

#24 Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries
  • Administrators

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

Nice to see you here Mark... especially for me as I too am british.

Do you have any photos of your collection to post in the showing off area?

Please feel at home here and any issues do not hesitate to PM me or Bernard.
Why not choose an avatar? Go to "Profile" and explore what options are available to you.

#25 Guest_Bernard_*

Guest_Bernard_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2008 - 10:25 AM

Mark,
Welcome to JNS. Are you looking for ideas on a track plan? If so, take a look at this link, there are a lot of door plans or small layout designs but it might be the start of an idea and expand upon it.

http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm

#26 Mark Griffiths

Mark Griffiths
  • New Members

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:15 PM

Too Bernard & Darren,

Thanks for the welcolme and the info to the track plan site certainly given me something think about.
Thanks
Mark

#27 marknewton

marknewton
  • Members
  • LocationWaterfall, NSW, Australia

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:23 PM

G'day, all, and thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm 48, live in a small town outside Sydney, Australia, I'm married with one child. My wife and I both work for RailCorp - she's on the country trains, I'm on the suburban EMUs. I used to work on steam locos that were retained for heritage/tourist trains, so I have more than a passing interest in Japanese steam. The local tramway museum has a tram from Nagasaki which I also work on, so street railways/tramways are also an interest.

My modelling interests are in the minority of a minority, as it were. I work in HOj - 1/80th scale - as opposed to N. My two main interests are the Toyama District Railway/Chitetsu, and the 762mm narrow gauge lines of the Kinki Nippon Railway/Kintetsu.

I have a layout under construction, when I next have a chance I'll post some photos showing my progress.

Thanks again for the welcome,

Mark.
Modelling late Showa-era JNR in 1/80th scale.

And the ringing in my ears from playing too loud,
I hear the ocean, I hear the crowd.

#28 acousticco

acousticco
  • Members
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:01 AM

Thanks for the pictures DJR!
It really is an interesting line.  I especially like the steep (as much as 8%) grades and switchbacks.  I've got most of the track down for my little Hakone layout (only about 40x24 inches).  I'll start a thread about it once it's interesting to look at.

-Cody

#29 PC

PC
  • Members

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

Hi - I'm Philip Cook, and I'm a member of the Japan Rail Modellers of Washington DC.

Thanks for the post about us, and adding the link on the right  :-)

Cheers,
Philip.

#30 Bernard

Bernard
  • Members
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:07 PM

Welcome Phillip,
It's our pleasure to have you aboard and to promote the Japan Rail Modellers of Washington, DC group. I was really impressed with the fact that your group sets up layouts in children's hospitals. To give a child a little bit of happiness in that situation has got to be very rewarding and your group should be commended for all it's efforts.

#31 C62

C62
  • Members
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 March 2008 - 02:23 AM

Hello! Recently I got interested in Japanese N scale and just have ordered my first 3 locos. My main interest is  in steam and old electric. I have ordered some Tomix track, too.

#32 Bernard

Bernard
  • Members

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:34 AM

Welcome to the forum. You will find that the members here are very helpful and can even give you some history on the steam engines you've purchased.  I hope you post photos of your new stream engines when they arrive. Are you planning on building a layout?

#33 C62

C62
  • Members
  • LocationAustria

Posted 02 March 2008 - 08:33 AM

My layout will have to wait until house-move, 18 months away. I will use the time to collect some rolling stock and test it.
I am living in Austria and there is no japanese model stuff locally available. I have ordered from a shop in Germany, japanmodelrailways.com .
It seems that even specialized shops do not have lots of stock. :-[ I am still waiting for my first loco, a micro ace C62.2
but it should arrive whithin the next weeks. My next locos, micro ace again, are a C53 and a streamlined C53. I hope that micro ace locos run fine!

#34 Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts
  • Administrators
  • LocationVenlo, The Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:31 AM

I've visited the Japan Model Railways shop in Kamen some time ago, and he's got a fair amount of stock actually. MicroAce's C62's are new releases which should've come out in February, but they might be delayed. Also, it usually takes a few weeks for packages to get from Japan to Germany and go through customs etc.

I've ordered all 3 of the MicroAce C62's along with the matching set of cars, will be interesting to see when they'll arrive :)
Mixed Japanese N-scale: http://www.jr-chiisai.net

#35 Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts
  • Administrators

Posted 04 March 2008 - 02:49 AM

Well, nothing all that interesting to say. Been into model trains all my life really. Started with H0 scale Lima, mostly Dutch prototype (as I'm originally Dutch), but space constraints made me switch to N-scale. Most of it was Dutch and German prototype.

When I moved to Norway I left my N-scale behind, since my father was still building on it. In Norway I started over with Märklín H0 initially. I still have plans of building a static H0 layout with Era 1 Royal Bavarian Railways prototype.

Having always been interested in high speed aerodynamic trains, it wasn't too difficult a decision to buy some Shinkansen. The quality and detailing of the models compared to the relatively low price really impressed me, and I started collecting more than just Shinkansen. My general interest in Japan and south-east Asian countries in general also helped of course.

My currently available space and time for trains is limited, so things aren't going all that fast, but hopefully that'll change sometime later this year. I also decided to set up a page which will chronicle my progress and eventually contain tips and tricks. But spare time for the page is limited as well, so updates aren't very frequent right now. The page is called JR-Chiisai (chiisai is Japanese for "small"), and can be found at http://www.jr-chiisai.net

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • Members

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:36 AM

Martijn, welcome to the forum and I know what you mean about limited time to work on your layout. I live neat NYC but hope to move soon to Upstate NY where we have a house and that is where my layout is, so whenever I go up I plan exactly what I need to do.
I enjoyed reading your link and I hope you post often here the progress your making or any helpful tips to other members.

#37 CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Philosopher-Engineer

• Administrators
  • LocationEl Cerrito CA, United States

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

martijn! Glad to see you make the jump! These forums are a little more lively  ;)

An aside: Is there any way I could convince you to add an RSS feed to your site? I enjoy reading it, but I often forget to check for those intermittent updates, because it doesn't show up in my daily RSS readings...

My job: Slack

My hobby: Railstars

My other hobby: Akihabara Station

#38 Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts
  • Administrators

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:33 AM

There is an RSS feed already actually, it's just that it's not published on the site itself yet. I use it for the newsticker on the frontpage:
http://www.jr-chiisa...s/frontpage.xml

And as I mentioned on my site's forum, I'm not expecting it to be used much, if at all. It's just there in case of the unlikely event of the site getting popular ;)

#39 Darren Jeffries

Darren Jeffries
  • Administrators

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:11 AM

Nice to see you here Martijn...

I have just looked at your site, very nice diorama coming on there.

Also have to say I love your fathers layout (even though it is euro based... :P)

Welcome aboard again.

#40 Martijn Meerts

Martijn Meerts
  • Administrators

Posted 05 March 2008 - 06:11 AM

My fathers layout turned out quite well, he's had a lot of help form a guy who likes building scenery, otherwise it probably never would've been finished. During my visits we mostly did some detailing, most of the electrical work, and programming the computer to control it all.

There are quite a few issues with the layout though (other than it not being Japanese ;)), mostly there are a lot of problems with turnouts, which just don't switch reliably.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)