Darren Jeffries

The Introduction Thread...

miyakoji

Hi James, welcome to the forum!

James-SNMB

Thanks for the welcome! The Japanese prototype will definitely have some influence on my layout I think, particularly from the density and transition aspects you've mentioned. I get a lot of inspiration from what you guys have done here. Can't wait to look through more layout threads.

TheMonark

Hi Everyone:

I am Riff from India. I am fond of trains and have been regular reader of this forum. However, I never had chance to get into this hobby due to unavailability of items in my country. Just starting now with Tomix N-scale (importing from Amazon JP with 40% import duty). So, starting out slow due to the investment required.

I have posted a plan for my first layout in this thread. Looking to get some feedback and help from veteran members. I look forward to participating in this forum.

Thanks

• Like 3

Sheffie

Welcome, Riff. I hope you like it here!

chadbag

Welcome Riff!

Good luck with the Arduino project.  That looks interesting.

TheMonark

Thanks Sheffie and chadbag

cteno4

Riff,

welcome, glad you found us! 

bummer on the 40% duty. That hurts. A good friend here was starting to do import of HO and N scale into india. He has reps in three cities and was doing some weekend model train events to get more exposure for model trains and they were a huge success. Unfortunately it was very difficult to import stuff in, requiring a lot of monitoring and negotiating on shipments, then sadly he passed away a couple of years ago.

jeff

TheMonark

Yes, duty hurts a lot. I get only half of what I can afford.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Any hobby stuff is a very niche market so there are very limited retailers or shops. So, importing is the only option to get quality stuff.

cteno4

well the good news is that even with that duty Japanese trains are an excellent bang for the rupee! Also there can be some very good deals, just have to watch it as some can be at or above retail.

Yeah he determined there was little competition and the little there was was aimed at the very high end items. His model railroad events were super popular. He had 5 or 6 guys he hired to come and run trains, do some scenery stuff and show the basics of how to set stuff up. he felt there was a big pent up hobby market that just needed encouragement with events like this. He even charged for admission that covered the event cost. He also started making some Indian HO trains with a company in Brazil or all places as they made some very similar equipment.

He was working on Kato distributorship as well. Sadly it was too much for him when health issues hit so he had to shut it all down. 

He really was an excellent chap.

jeff

miyakoji

Hi Riff, welcome to the forum!