The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

I'm into Z scale and I have a very much WIP larger layout that hasn't seen much work for the past few months. I'm also working on a small layout, which could well end up having Japanese scenery and buildings. The track is Marklin, because that's what I had. Not much more will get done for a while as Milady and I are soon off on a long holiday.

Hullo,

I think I've been around trains my whole life, I was told as a baby I kept knocking my cousin's train off the tracks (I think it was HO scale), then I got my own O scale Lionel train on a circle layout when I was old enough to not knock it off by crawling over the track.

I've recently bought an N scale Kato trainset (Shonan-Shinjuku line) and some additions for a yard and siding for a station. It's kind of setup on really crude shelves but I just wanted to get this thing rolling (pun not intended). I currently reside in Japan so it's pretty easy to get a hold of Kato Unitrack and various other elements Japanese to include with my model.

I was at a store recently and found the Sankei paper buildings at 1:150 scale, so I grabbed a few and figure once they're setup they'll look really nice next to my set. I want to buy more trains but need to wait for my paycheck to catch-up after that last trip out. It's tough being at work and wanting to get back home to work on the layout.

Hi MechaDen,

Welcome to the forums. Depending on where you are located, you can have access to some bargains and shows easily (especially in the Tokyo Metropolitan area). This weekend for instance, the big JAM convention is on in Tokyo Big Sight (Odaiba, Tokyo) where you can see a lot of layouts, the newest announcements, a few smaller manufacturers and bargain sales. After that is the JMRA in Kamata (Ota-ku, Tokyo): http://www.jmra.gr.jp/, which is a much smaller venue, but less crowded and a bit on the higher financial end of the model train aspect. Still worth visiting.

I think I can say for all that we look forward seeing your developments!

MechaDen,

Welcome to the asylum!

That's the way most all of us started, some track and playing around and then things grow and evolve from There! It's a very addictive hobby. Looking forward to your evolution, keep us posted.

Cheers,

Jeff

I'm suddenly both glad and nervous I joined and spoke up. I didn't know about JAM, but now that I know I'm excited for going to stand around with people with a similar interest and also nervous for the livelihood of my wallet. I imagine this event will not be too gentle on it; there are probably going to be a lot of interesting things to look at and some things I can learn about that I can add to my layout.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the tip. I know where I'll be at least one day this weekend.

I'm suddenly both glad and nervous I joined and spoke up. I didn't know about JAM, but now that I know I'm excited for going to stand around with people with a similar interest and also nervous for the livelihood of my wallet. I imagine this event will not be too gentle on it; there are probably going to be a lot of interesting things to look at and some things I can learn about that I can add to my layout.

Thanks for the warm welcome and for the tip. I know where I'll be at least one day this weekend.

Living in Tokyo in general is very damaging for the wallet as far as model railways go; I can pretty much trace the beginning of the addiction to last year's JAM. I'll be there this year to, albeit on Friday.

Living in Tokyo in general is very damaging for the wallet as far as model railways go; I can pretty much trace the beginning of the addiction to last year's JAM. I'll be there this year to, albeit on Friday.

I'll be there on Saturday. Mostly hanging around at Nanyo Bussan and the T-Trak people as (is now) usual.

MechaDen,

Perhaps best to just go in minus your credit and money cards and just a wad of cash (and a return ticket or train card) in hand. Also avoid the organ buyers in the dark corners that try to tempt those who just want that one last set wayyyy too much!

Glad you found us, think you will enjoy the gang here.

Have fun for all of us at JAM who can't attend!

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

Just a hello from me I frequent other UK forums but this being a Japanese modelling forum I thought I would join as my layout is 98% Kato track but running UK Loco's, I have been thinking of getting into Kato EMU's and thought it would be handy for any information into installing decoders into them.

Geoff

Welcome Geoff from a jeff (was almost Geoff!). Glad you found us and lots of helpful folks here as well as many Brits and British rail fans and Modelers (check out the international forums).

Cheers,

Jeff

Welcome Geoff from a jeff (was almost Geoff!). Glad you found us and lots of helpful folks here as well as many Brits and British rail fans and Modelers (check out the international forums).

Cheers,

Jeff

Many thanks for the welcome Jeff, I have plenty of reading to do here with lots of interesting information.

Just a hello from me I frequent other UK forums but this being a Japanese modelling forum I thought I would join as my layout is 98% Kato track but running UK Loco's, I have been thinking of getting into Kato EMU's and thought it would be handy for any information into installing decoders into them.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, welcome to the forum.

Greetings, I am Omega Tau.  I specialize in N Scale/ Gauge in general.  Though I generally run U.S. trains, Japanese Trains hold a special place in my collection and heart.  For me, if it looks good to me I'm going to run.  Prototype Police beware!   B)   Okay, that's only for ONE of my Japanese locomotives.  I stick to passenger trains mainly (Shinkansens, Kintetsu Corp., etc...), though I won't say no to a few freight trains.  Currently working on getting content together for my Youtube channel, and I will let you all know when that gets up and running.

Cheers

Welcome Omega Tau! Glad you found us, should be food for your Japanese train sweet spot!

That's fine many here just run what they like! It's your railroad to have fun with! We have one club member here that only buys trains he has ridden on! His large home layout goes from Kyoto in one end, thru Philledelphia (where he grew up) and then ends in Zurich at the other end!

Will look forward to the YouTube channel!

Cheers

Jeff

Well... guess i throw myself in here then.

Heyho mina!

I am Fabian or if you cant pronounce that one either Nico or Kaito are fine too (i got too many names on the interwebs). I am from Germany and basically got back into Modelrailroad through Animes again (a shame i even abandoned it) and yes... i freaking love dem Japanese Trains/Modeltrains o. o and i plan to enrich the Modeltrainclub i am in with a Modelrailroad in the future... so i hope i can get lots and lots of help here :D

• Like 1