The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hello All !

At last - I have finally found a dedicated site for Japan Rail modellers, and I hope as well as finding useful info on my pet subject, I, in turn, may be of help to someone.

I live in England ( Dorset to be precise ) and have been modelling railways in 'OO' gauge for some years, and through the internet I found some great Japanese rail fan videos, from there my interest in Japan generally has grown - so much so, I have made the decision to transform my existing British rail 60's period layout to a strange hybrid Brit - Japan layout !  It's weird, but it works for me. The whole thing is a bit of nightmare though, simply because, even as a 'straight' B.R. only layout it was ( and IS ) problematical being indoors AND outdoors.  Oh well, I chewed off a bit more than I could swallow I suppose - but I still enjoy the challenges !

My new JR 'fleet' at present are: One 2 x car kiha 58 set, one DD 51 and one DE 10

plus a few 'koki' container flats and JRF containers.

Edited by Kiha_120
  • Like 3
Claude_Dreyfus

Kiha. Sounds like you are one of the few UK J-trains modellers who model H0. And in the garden also...if I understood your post correctly!

• Like 1

Hey kiha,

Welcome to the dark Side! Yet another British layout going japanes, you will find some other Brits here with the same evolutions!

It's your layout you can have it run from England to japan! We have one club member here in DC who's large layout goes from japan to Philadelphia to Switzerland,mane he loves it!

Will be great to see your progress!

Cheers,

Jeff

• Like 1

Many thanks to all who have welcomed me !  I would have used a 120 for my avatar, but rather than risk upsetting some copyright holder photo,  I thought it wise to use a pic of my DE 10 instead.

Edited by Kiha_120
Claude_Dreyfus

I have seen a fair few pictures in Wikipedia...I used one for my layout's website...

See signature.

Kiha. Sounds like you are one of the few UK J-trains modellers who model H0. And in the garden also...if I understood your post correctly!

Sorry about the delay in replying Claude.  In answer to your question, yes, the layout for large part is outdoors with the accompanying problems of vegetation, insects, small animals and last but not least - one rather clumsy border collie !

G'day Kiha, and welcome to the forum. There's a few of us here who model in HO. I'm one of them, so I can help you out with any questions you may have.

All the best,

Mark.

Hello All !

At last - I have finally found a dedicated site for Japan Rail modellers, and I hope as well as finding useful info on my pet subject, I, in turn, may be of help to someone.

I live in England ( Dorset to be precise ) and have been modelling railways in 'OO' gauge for some years, and through the internet I found some great Japanese rail fan videos, from there my interest in Japan generally has grown - so much so, I have made the decision to transform my existing British rail 60's period layout to a strange hybrid Brit - Japan layout ! 

I ought to show you my Japanese with British/German stuff layout (need to actually build it first, of course...)

Hello all from Virginia, United States.

Recently became interested in Japanese (and specifically Tokyo area) rail after a visit to Japan, with the help of Tokyo Railway Labyrinth blog. I've done military plamo for some years now, so a model train forum seems like the natural next step in combining my interests.

よろしくお願いします。*

*Not, of course, to be taken as an indication of knowing any more than basic Japanese. I plan to take the N4 JLPT in December.

Welcome Korat! Its an addictive hobby!

where abouts are you in Virginia are you? we have a Japanese train club around the DC area and have a show layout we take to events and train shows around the area. pm me if you are interested in meeting up at some point. we do monthly lunches and about 6 shows a year.

cheers,

jeff

Hi Everyone,

I'm from Bunbury, Western Australia and have been playing with model trains since I was around 10yrs old, I say play because I've never had a permanent layout that I could leave setup and run whenever I wanted.

I started with HO/OO (Lifelike trains and then Hornby) and ran that for many years until I decided to make the change to N because I saw that the Shinkansen car sets were available in N and (as far as I knew) not in HO/OO. I started N with Peco track and kato locos/rolling stock and then slowly moved over to Kato unitrack and that's where I've stayed for a few years now that I've found a shop I can purchase Kato products from in W.A.

I decided to join this forum so I had other more experienced Japanese modellers to chat with and get advice from that will help me be a better model railroader.

Thank you all and I look forward to chatting to you soon.

Cheers,

James.

Hi James.....and another Aussie! :) You are going to find a whole lot of Aussie on this forum and their a great bunch!

• Like 1
SuRoNeFu 25-501

Hello everyone, I'm from Indonesia.

Although I'm not a modeller (due to lack of enough money to starting it (笑)), but I'm interested with the model version of Japanese trains. And of course one day I want to make my dream of owning Japanese model trains become true (笑).

But since I'm interested in Japanese trains, I decided to join this forum to letting myself enjoying your great models (^_^)v

(One of my most prominent interest on Japanese trains is the (perhaps) almost forgotten Blue Trains, so I will be very happy if someone in this forum has one of model versions of Blue Train fleets. :D )

よろしくお願いいたします。

Arya

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Thanks for your warm welcome! Well, my username reflects one of my great interest to JR's Blue Train ;)

(EDIT: oops, it seems that I've done the worst error, because I mistakenly added 50 to the original SuRoNeFu 25-501 when I chose the car's number to become my display name @_@ so I decided to correct it @_@)

Edited by SuRoNeFu 25-501

Yeah I googled it and noticed it wasn't a real car number, but you could make up a history for it. Toni has a pretty detailed background for his fictional railway.

SuRoNeFu 25-501

Yeah I googled it and noticed it wasn't a real car number, but you could make up a history for it. Toni has a pretty detailed background for his fictional railway.

Hehe, like what thing that currently happened in my OpenBVE workshops :laughing6: I accidentally used (supposedly to be called as "purposely using" if we want to directly speaking) Toyoda-san's parody of E26 coach's series number (the 28 series) in his Rail Wars! light novel to made a derivative of 24 series coach, the E28 series coach.

I know it broke JNR's coach numbering system (and unintentionally using Toyoda-san's idea), but it looked fine in my attempt to reviving Blue Train in my PC :laughing6:

Well, it's just a slight off topic, but it should giving enough explanation :confused5:

Welcome James. Do you have a layout at the moment?

Yes I do, it's a basic oval with a station/terminus setup on one side of it. Nothing too fancy at the moment as I only have a hollow core (about 18/1900mm x 820mm) door to set up on.

How about yourself?