The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hi Everybody,

I've just joined the forum and would like to introduce myself.

My name is Dave and I live in the UK. I have been a modeller for many years and it's only in the last 3-4 years that I have become interested in trains, particularly those from Japan. I am currently building a 4m * 3m N gauge layout which will most likely be an urban layout. It wont represent any particular area of Japan and will just be my take on an urban cityscape.

Most of my collection is made up of Shinkansen sets, only missing a version of the 300 series and of course the newly announced E7 from Tomix (this is available for reservation at HS). I am also starting to add commuter, local and freight trains to my collection.

Look forward to learning much about Japanese railways and hopefully I can pass on some modelling tips learned from 40+ years of modelling.

Dave

• Like 1

dave,

welcome, glad you found the forum. start a thread on your layout, we all would love to see what you are planning/doing!

jeff

welcome jr,

HO shinkansens wonderful, but expensive and harder to find, but im sure you will find a few folks on the list with some ideas!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

My name is Bill from Ohio. I am using the Kato Salt Lake Route as my platform for a new Japanese Prototype layout. It was not easy to find a group dedicated to Japanese model railroading only. Thanks for having a great source of information about my hobby.

Bill & JR welcome to the Forum!

Bill - are Japanese trains popular in Ohio? My LHS in the NYC area used to carry a few Kato sets but not anymore....darn!

HI all

I'm Dave

I want to thank everyone for some usefoul tips I found around here reading your topics

This year I'll finally be able to start building a permanent layout, and so I decided to subscribe here :)

I'll plan to start in digital for trains but with turnout on DC until I can afford the necessary equipment to convert it

My favourite are currently TOMIX Finetrack with Kato trains (when they are DCC friendly)

Welcome dave! 

glad you found useful stuff here and hope to see what you start to create! start a thread on your project so we can follow!

cheers

jeff

John Maxfield

I'm an old hand at Japan.  My first visit was back in 1986.  Most recent was 2012.  I've been there 14 times total.  Japan has real trains unlike the USA which has only Amtrak and a few subway/commuter lines.post-2187-0-63573500-1389976787_thumb.jpg

Welcome John!

sounds like you have some great japan trips under your belt, wish i could visit that much! post some photos if you have them of interesting bits, always great to see details and ideas for modeling.

cheers

jeff

Hi Y'all:

I've been checking out Japanese prototypes & modelling for a few years now, and find them quite intriguing. I've been to the Usual Suspects: Quintopia, N-rail, Sumida Crossing, and am now ready to take the plunge.

I must admit that I'm more of a lurker as I am sporadic on my modelling attempts. Darn work, anyway. If there are any modelers in the Carson City, NV area, give out a holler- I could use the poke to get me going!

Bob

Hi All,

I joined a week ago after landing here in search of information about Tomix track. Unfortunately for my wallet, I discovered B-Train Shorty,

My interest in Japanese railways started with Kato Unitrack which led on to their trains, and from there to the others. This was about 8 years ago but I've been 'playing' with trains for a lot longer. I don't have a current layout but just assemble some track when I have time to do so. Thanks to the list of suppliers, I have found some new sources. Orders and pre-orders have been swiftly placed.

Peter

Welcome Peter! glad you found the forum. think it will give you many ideas to make the wallet hurt. 

shorties are a great way to do some fun stuff in a very small space with tight radius curves. also pretty affordable prices.

cheers

jeff

While I am a newcomer to n-scale in general and Japanese model trains in particular, I know that active, informative, and friendly forums like JNS are a boon to any hobbyist.  I look forward to making new friends and learning more about Japanese trains.  I only hope that my bank account survives the journey!  :)

Welcome 1954g,

Yep the wallet will scream there are sooooo many attractive Japanese train models to buy!! But the good news is they are the best bang for the buck out there though.

Cheers

Jeff

Martijn Meerts

I only hope that my bank account survives the journey!  :)

One can always hope I guess ;)

Hi,

New member, just wanted to introduce myself.

I live in Japan and have been here for the better part of 15 years (I`m Canadian originally).  I`ve been putting together an N-guage layout for the past couple of years in our tiny Japanese apartment (a challenge in itself), its still a work in progress but it is sort of coming together (I will try to share some pictures at some point). 

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

• Like 1

Hi Sean and welcome to the forums! We're gaining more and more members in Japan itself it seems. What kind of layout are you making? Is it prototypical oriented or just a mishmash of things of your preference? I bet we all would love to see some pictures! :D

Thanks Toni, Miyakoji and Melandir!

My layout is a bit of a mish mash, I have an urban section and a rural/small town section.  I haven`t done most of the landscaping yet.  Its the first time I`ve put together a layout since I was a kid in the 80s when my dad and I put together a German N-scale layout (he was in the army and we were stationed there for a few years).  I will put some pics up soon!