The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

thanks guys.appreciate the feedback. I have got more vids to load on you tube, but didn't want to get too much repetition of views, even though i am running different trains. I have a 3 car local to set up and run on the top rail which is what i started with when i first set up city. I tried a steamer with one coach which ran well in one direction , but not the other. The rails are a butt joint where the end units meet the main city module on the top and needs a bit more fine tuning. A monorail would be great fun.I actually thought about that before building top rail. I wait in anticipation for progress on mechs. I have plans to use my tomytec  bus on a circuit up top as well as the tram winding between buildings on a new end unit. cheers John

thanks Densha. I am pleased with how the whole scene came out. I would love to get more of the metal tourist buses some day.

Hello, all!  Been lurking on here for a couple days now and figured I might as well join in earnest.

I'm Grant, I'm 23, and I'm a graduate student currently living in Tokyo - 1 year down, 15 months to go - but originally from Kentucky.  I've been out of the railroad modeling scene for something like 15 years now but for some reason the urge to get back into it has suddenly manifested itself within me and I've been shopping around quite a lot.  My little Setagaya apartment has a decent enough loft that I am very much under-utilizing, so I'm planning to see if I can't run a little loop around the edge using cannibalized bookshelf kits from the local home center, hopefully without compromising too much of the actual storage space.  I'm currently stuck in an on-going internal debate over whether to pick a Kato or Tomix starter set and thus commit to the brand for all my track...

Anyway, glad to be here and hopefully I'll have some meaningful updates in the not-overly-distant future!

Hi Grant,

I have chosen for Tomix as my standard tracks, but a big project I'm undertaking with a friend will have a mixture of Tomix (old and new) and Kato tracks. For regular build-ups and break-downs of temporary layouts I'd recommend Kato track because of its sturdiness and look. Tomix is great because of the large variety of points and curves.

It largely depends on what layout you want to have. Express trains, local trains, interurbans, lots of rails or lots of scenery, etc. For a bookshelf I'd recommend Tomix mini curves, but that largely limits your choice of rolling stock. Personally I don't have much of a problem with that, since I only run short 2-car 16m trains at home. Longer trains I run at a friends' who has the space to run full-size Tohoku Shinkansen. :P

If you're living on the Odakyū or Keio Inokashira line, I'd suggest a visit to Greenmax's Cross Point store in Shimokitazawa because I saw a few days ago they have a few starter/rail sets with 35% off. It's a very small shop, so don't expect too much of it. Other than that, the cheapest options are always 2nd hand shops close-by like Hobbyland Pochi (Shinjuku and Akihabara), Popondetta (Akihabara and Ebina) and Liberty (Akihabara). A good and cheap chain I visit almost weekly is TamTam (Sagamihara (Kobuchi-sta.), Akihabara and Omiya). They have below-average pricing for new items and the shops are quite big (the one nearby in Sagamihara is actually MASSIVE).

I hope this helps a bit.

P.s. If you'd like to meet up for some rail fanning or something, hit me up! I don't live too far away from Setagaya.

Thanks for the info!  I actually just went to HobbyLand Pochi in Shinjuku the other day, along with Yodobashi Camera.  I've also had a lot of luck with finding Kato stuff on Amazon, including the starter sets at something like 65-70% of MSRP.  The other big advantage for me with Kato is that my local hobbyshop back in KY also stocks tons of it.

I've read a lot of similar things about the ease of take-down, etc of Kato track, which is what most strongly has me leaning in that direction.  I've been guesstimating sizes based on the diameter of ~25" that comes with the Kato starter set ovals, so I was planning on something like a 30" wide shelf at each end for the turn and then dropping to maybe 20 or 24" (or maybe less? Haven't broken out the measuring tape yet) on the straights.  

The width also probably means I'd mainly be using the bookshelf materials as the supports.  My goal for that is to get something like an 18-24" height so that I can still fit the suitcases and cardboard boxes that populate my loft underneath and thus retain some vague semblance of utility.  But in general, I'm not too worried about size, since I don't exactly own a lot and my loft is rather significantly sized.

For the time being, it's not really practical for me to try and build a realistic layout, largely given the fact that whether or not I go home after graduation, I will not be in this apartment anymore.  Therefore for now, I just want to get a nice little layout that's fun for me, easy to let friends see/have a go with - and more importantly that can be easily broken down - and then focus on actually collecting the trains I want; recreating my little piece of Japan can come when I have a more permanent setup.

I'm actually just on the normal Keio Line, but I can get to Shimokitazawa in ~20 minutes, so I will definitely check that out sometime.

Kyhachi,

Welcome! Lots of fun can be had in a small space and with more temporary setups.

Here is an interesting article on doing some temporary but still detailed little layouts and scenery bits

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

Or mini layouts and btrain shorties

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/btrainshorty-pt1.html

Or small modules

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/minimodules.html

Just some ideas. Keep us posted on what you star doing!

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

hi,

Little introduction in three point:

First, of in the family everyone are builders of minis.

Second, I am starting my third layout, the last two one where in N amercian.

Third, I'm currently working on a HOn Japanese layout at the beginning of the Taisho era (around 1900).

That's mostly all...

It's a pleasure to meet you!

nb: ill go put some picture of the layout a it's rightful place.

nb-2: for the location i'm Canadian.

Edited by 19oo
  • Like 1

Hi Grant!

As I point out to anyone who is considering getting a starter kit: think about if you really want those "ordinary" non-banked narrow curves. Both Tomix and Kato have a variety of track available ranging from tram track poured in concrete; very narrow non-tram track Toni is talking about; complete sets of double-track loops with banked curves and concrete ties; and even complete viaduct track loops. You can expand every set and/or buy additional parts to make larger/more complex layouts.

As Toni already said, this all largely depends on what kind of trains you want to run. Are you going to run trams, Enoden-ish trains, commuter trains on modern lines or through a forest, shinkansen? There are so many options but when you know what kind of trains you want to run it really isn't that difficult to choose.

Edited by Densha

Yeah, I'll second that, the doubletrack banked curves are awesome and if you don't want to invest in two power packs/trains etc you can pick up a 15-degree crossing and use them to make a twice-around. I have several track plans that do exactly that.

Hi All,

I have newly joined JNS Forum.
My name is Nariichi Takayama from Japan.  I am living Koshigaya city which is about 20km north from Tokyo along with Tobu Isesaki Line.  In terms of model railroading I am just a novice and my layout is very simple with few rolling stock.  But seeking to communicate with people from all over the world.

As my collection is not enough, I am enhancing my collection and also looking opportunity to sell items with reasonable price as sometimes I find some bargain deal and want to share it.

I run a blog and uploading some movies on YouTube.

http://ntonrail.blogspot.jp/

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF3uz8zqQHivI-CwmQ790bQ

Thanks.

• Like 2

welcome Nariichi, I am in New Zealand. Your English is very good! I find this forum very helpful with a lot of knowledgeable people. I will be checking out your blog and your you tube videos. cheers John

• Like 1

Hello Takayama-san and welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay.

I think slowly we have actually a growing Japanese base as well now. Is it already bigger than the overseas member base? :D

• Like 1

Hi John, Toni, Martijin and everyone,

Thanks for warm welcome.
I will check around the forum and look for something interesting.  And of course it is welcome if I can help out on something.

Also, I would like to give my appreciation to Jeff, who guided me to right direction :)

Edited by nartak
  • Like 1

Nariichi,

Welcome aboard, good to see you made it over here! Looking forward to your finds!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Hello to everyone. I am a collector of N Gauge Japanese, Kato and Tomix/Tomytec and live in Dorset in the UK.

I am lucky to be able to visit a number of cities across Japan each year, by plane and by ship and make regular visits to Kato's stores in Tokyo and Osaka for stock. Although it is often these days less costly to buy in the UK, particularly from my main supplier of Kato at Traintrax.com.

My wife and I have numerous other Japanese connections, one a Japanese business and secondly we are cruise ship destination speakers on Japanese and Korean modern day life and culture.

I have a largish layout fully running (9 feet x 14 feet) but am considering making the set-up transportable for exhibiting in future. Not wholly sure on this so would welcome any suggestions as to benefits to me in doing so. Was a member of the Japanese Rail Society in the UK but found that most events being in London, not ideal, so have since resigned from this.

Welcome Kyoto!

Wow, sounds like you get a lot of Japan time! Layout sounds great, you should start a project thread with your layout, look forward to seeing more of it!

We have a club sectional layout we created for displaying at shows mainly. It's a large oval about 15' x 5'. We built it with transport being the prime thing as this can be the big bottleneck in doing shows. Even so this fills a Toyota van pretty much. We did engineer the section sizes to fit well in hatchbacks and even smaller car back seats in a pinch where we don't have the van. That does limit things.

Protection is also a need during transport and storage. We ended up creating lightweight plywood boxes (we call them caskets as they look like that sitting there) that each module can plop in. The boxes nest so you can streak 2-4 in a pile for easier schlepping.

Wiring also is a different beast as well as you want to either have a wiring harness bringing all the needed power to the sections or a pass thru system module to module.

Finally you need to figure out a support for the layout that can break down easily. We have a fold up girder system that just bolts together and the section modules sit on this and have thumbscrews to hold them in place. This all then can sit on cheap, light folding saw horses or banquet tables if needed. We are experimenting with screw in PVC legs to the girder setup to get rid of the saw horses, but legs need strong attachments. Folding legs can be nice but can add a lot of bulk and weight.

More here: http://www.japanrailmodelers.com

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Piotr,

Welcome! looks like you have a nice collection and have been having fun with your trains! I think you will find a lot of very similar interests and hobbies on this forum with yours!

cheers

jeff

Hello my name is Thomas and I live in New Jersey USA. Im just starting out in n scale and I love all the Kato Japanese stuff! I live in an apartment so my space is very limited. I built a table that's a little over 3x6 and purchased the V13 set along with some single unitrack and turn outs. My JC 500 is on it's way from Japan and I can't wait to get started on my layout.I don't even know where to begin.

• Like 1
Hello my name is Thomas and I live in New Jersey USA. Im just starting out in n scale and I love all the Kato Japanese stuff! I live in an apartment so my space is very limited. I built a table that's a little over 3x6 and purchased the V13 set along with some single unitrack and turn outs. My JC 500 is on it's way from Japan and I can't wait to get started on my layout.I don't even know where to begin.

Hi Thomas, I'm Vato from Brooklyn, I have same situation (I mean, live in apartment and have a very limited space) My layout is a 2'8"x5'2" with 2 independent line, I'm using kato stuff. To start the layout, first make track plan, (you can use Anyrail) then you need a foam board to make a base (I use 2" insulation board) it is easy to cut.

• Like 1

Hi Thomas,

Welcome! always fun to hear of someone getting their first set! like xmas morning!

if you have limited space you might also think about a sectional layout that could come apart to give you more room when needed. folding tables are great things to plop them on. Also Ttrak modules are great for small apartments. they are about 1' square in size and you just pop them together on the floor or on tables to make a layout up on the fly. also many clubs no have n scale groups so you can take the modules to trains shows to show off your work and play with others in a larger configuration.

keep us posted on your progress, always fun to watch someone's excitement starting up!

cheers

jeff

• Like 2

Thanks guys.

Jeff, building modules and sections are out of my ability. I already have the table built and in it's spot already. Today I spackled over the screws and painted the table top surface grey. Once the paint dries I'll post some pics.

Vato thanks for the tip on anyrail. I'm going to have to look into it because I'll need help coming up with the inside layout. They're some many awesome layouts that you guys built here that I'm sure I can take bits and pieces and make it my own.

• Like 1

Hi! My name is Viktor Kovacs and I've been reading the forum for some time now, but haven't registered until today. I'm from Budapest, Hungary. I've been collecting N gauge japanese trains for some time, but still haven't managed to finish a half decent layout for them. Most of my japanese trains are older emu-s with a few smaller locomotives and even a tram. I've been buying and motorizing many tomytec railway collection wehicles. My plans are big, like building a single track branchline layout for my emus and finishing a hakone tozan shelf layout.

Edited by kvp
  • Like 1