The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hi Bernando,

Welcome to the forum! These stickers are usually meant for the destination signs, if you scan it and/or make a topic about it I'm sure some people can help you further.

Hello,

I just joined a few days ago and have greatly enjoyed browsing through the forum. Having gone to Japan every year during my childhood for summer vacation one of my fondest memories are the ones riding the various trains an subways throughout Japan. I started collecting Japanese trains about 5 years ago and have enjoyed every minute.

Thank you and what a great site this is.

Ray

Hi Bernado,

Welcome to the forum. I also has American Flyer trains.....had them since I was 5! Switched to N scale because it was a lot easier to manage for storage and could build layouts that took up less space and had more activity...but I still like my Am. Flyers.

Bernard

Dear Friends,

I am Bernardo Turnbull from Mexico. I have been running an S scale American Flyer simple set for decades.

I just moved to N scale for space and many other reasons.

We just received our first set; it is Kato 10-453 (0 series Shinkansen, 8 cars) and we are very pleased with it.

However, the set includes a sticker sheet to complete the cars, and the instruction sheet comes only in Japanese.

Does anyone know where I can find a translation, web file, etc that could help me with this.

Thank you very much for your attention to this message

Bernardo.

bedrule@hotmail.com

Ray - Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the compliment about the forum and it's the members here that make it so special. Look forward to your post.

Bernard

Hello,

I just joined a few days ago and have greatly enjoyed browsing through the forum. Having gone to Japan every year during my childhood for summer vacation one of my fondest memories are the ones riding the various trains an subways throughout Japan. I started collecting Japanese trains about 5 years ago and have enjoyed every minute.

Thank you and what a great site this is.

Ray

Zeppelin driver

Hello to one & all.

I don't have much to say, I'm still waiting for my Katos from MTS.

" Where are they !!" its been almost a week.

I have a 5' X 12' table with 4' 8" leg off one side for storage yard ( I guess)

I have a duck-in for accessability.

Will do some variation off either the Kato 6-9, 6-12 or 6-13 layout plan.

DC layout this time.

[ Will have to check the track curves versus the 20" X 60" duck-in hole I have !

As big a viaduct In a urban setting as I can get.

Maybe a little countryside if room ( big dreams , huh? :)

I will post again when I have something to ask/say.

In the mean time I will absorbe the N-Zen wisdom you guys have allready posted :)

Howard

Edited by Zeppelin driver

Welcome Howard!

sounds like you can do a great layout with that space! that should be plenty of room to get urban, suburban, rural and even industrial. japan does not have the urban planning as much so you will see things jammed into odd places and rr is every where running thru everything. transitions can happen fast. look at some of the videos on youtube of train rides (many linked in the prototype forum here) and you will see what im talking about. you can do a lot in that space! you can do a lot of planning with the track software plans to get a rough idea  then just play with the track on the table (unitrak is great for this) and just plop down what buildings you have and make cardboard boxes for other building ideas. crumple paper up for some landscape ideas and tape them down. you would be surprised what you can do with some fiddling like this to really pack a lot into the space you have for plenty of scenes. this is the coolest attraction to modeling japan (other than all the cool trains) that you usually dont get in other locals. 

keep us posted on your progress.

jeff

ps love the handle!

Zeppelin driver
Welcome Howard!

sounds like you can do a great layout with that space! that should be plenty of room to get urban, suburban, rural and even industrial. japan does not have the urban planning as much so you will see things jammed into odd places and rr is every where running thru everything. transitions can happen fast. look at some of the videos on youtube of train rides (many linked in the prototype forum here) and you will see what im talking about. you can do a lot in that space! you can do a lot of planning with the track software plans to get a rough idea  then just play with the track on the table (unitrak is great for this) and just plop down what buildings you have and make cardboard boxes for other building ideas. crumple paper up for some landscape ideas and tape them down. you would be surprised what you can do with some fiddling like this to really pack a lot into the space you have for plenty of scenes. this is the coolest attraction to modeling japan (other than all the cool trains) that you usually dont get in other locals. 

keep us posted on your progress.

jeff

ps love the handle!

Thanks for the response cteno4   ,

Yeah, I am really looking forward to my N empire going on this HO size table.

Wil list my Marklin on eBay to finance this N scale adventure. :P 

I'm enjoying surfing through those utube layouts.

Howard

Hello from Illinois. I joined the forum today after discovering it while searching for information on the Kato 10918 Thalys TGV. Seems the only place to get one is on Ebay at a hefty price + shipping. Is there extra expense in tax or ?. involved when buying from Japan ?? I'm still in the planning stages of a layout but my enclosed back porch has plenty of room and since I retired last May I have ample time to build it. I really like passenger lines and living next door to Rock Island Illinois trains are a natural. Well I need to do more forum surfing.Till later

Lester,

welcome! There are no taxes on toys from Japan to USA. Shipping is either ems (like 3 day express for about $35 or so for a set) or sal (2 week w/ n insurance for like $12).

Cheers

Jeff

Edited by cteno4
Lester,

welcome! There are no taxes on toys from Japan to USA. Shipping is either ems (like 3 day express for about $35 or so for a set) or sal (2 week w/ n insurance for like $12).

Cheers

Jeff

No tax on cigs or booze either....!

Thanks for the info Jeff and KVH1 that train will be expensive enough without more added to it, but unless the mfg. makes another run of them this might be my last chance to buy a new one.

Lee

Hi,

I just registered to this forum, and would like to introduce myself and say hello to this community.

My name is Jose antonio (JA), and live in Spain. During a recent trip to Japan I made possible a dream I had since many years ago (approx since 35 years), consisting on having a miniature train. (I had once when I was child, but my younger brother took care of it ,in the bad way, I mean). For a long time, I've been tempted to get a train kit , but never went seriously for it.

But  while in Japan...my hotel was just close to the Kato Showroom, and  could not resist, so I'm now a proud owner of a starter kit with a steam machine (D51). I know is the standard model, and lacks from new models (D51-498) features, but is more than perfect for me as a starter and learner to this hobby.

I bought some cars also, from KATO and TOMYX, at very good prices compared to Spain. I hope to be able to get tracks and other parts when I'm back there.

During the "internet" search on the D51 topics, I found this forum and got amazed by the quality threads, so I respectfully ask you to allow me participate in it and learn from you.

Regards,

JA

• Like 1

Hello to all!

My name is Gennady, I'm from Moscow, Russia. Some times ago "re-opened" railway modelling for myself, as I was young railfan in USSR period and had some HO scale, DDR produced, models and PIKO starter set, which were rare and expensivly cost in later 80's here in Russia, so this was very hard hobby for student :) . Later I begane working with the "real scale" and spent few years in narrow gauge museum, now I'm working in restoration workshop with some pre WW2 cars mostly.

Don't know exactly why I find the interest in japanese railways :) Thinking it was a couple of reasons - interesting design of 30's - 60's EMU and DMU, wide assortment of lines with different types of rolling stock, modern and vintage at the same time, many country sides lines (I doesn't like urban terrain much, but some sort of urban japanese lines have it's own charm), mostly narrow (1067 vs russian 1520mm) gauge... Begining to search for the models, I found out the huge amount of well-done japanese N scale staff - rolling stock, tracks, cars, trucks... In my rememberance, N scale I saw in 80's was more like a pieces of plastic, primitive formed and poor painted, and N scale was out of my focus - and with HO you always had a problem with the space for layout, if you don't want to used tramway-like curves for your trains.

So, thinking awhile, I bought some items from Tomytec on Ebay - and was very pleased by them. Now I'm planning to build a layout in N scale and was happy to find out this very useful forum :)

Edited by Wooster
  • Like 2

Hello,

I'm Warren from Queensland Australia and I've been a fan of Japanese Railways since buying the book Steam Locomotives of Japan way back in 1975.

I first visited Japan in 99 working for 3 months at Huis Ten Bosch on Kyushu.In 2009 I realised a dream by visiting the Umekoji museum in Kyoto and my wife and I just returned from Osaka on Feb 14 this year after visiting my son who currently lives there.

I look forward to finding out more about Japanese railways from members here and preparing for my next visit.

I model in HO scale American and my chosen road is the Monon aka "The Hoosier Line".... in the diesel era, but I really want some Japanese N scale, specifically the trains I've ridden whilst in Japan.I'm a member of the Gold Coast Model Railway Club and have lots of photos on my Flickr page www.flickr.com/photos/BL2

I'll be joining in the conversation!

• Like 2

1. Wooster, wazzd, er_pepeillo - Welcome to the forum. Warren it's nice to know they have a Mr. Donut in Japan :)  and liked your photos! - Bernard

G'day Warren, love your photos of the old NSWGR and QR. Brings back many happy memories of places I've worked, and others I've visited.

Cheers,

Mark.