The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hi,

I had trains as a child in the UK and then nothing until having my own kids, my oldest son 3.5yo loves trains and as we live in Canada he likes the diesels he see's around but his first love is steam engines. He obviously likes Thomas the Tank engine and his favourite loco is actually Hiro, a Japanese train based on a D51. I have purchased lots of Unitrack and have a small 50inch x 34inch layout in progress. I recently purchased Digitrax DCS50 for DCC and now I need some DCC loco's. I did purchase a Micro Ace D51 used off ebay but I believe it is very difficult to convert to DCC.

My main reason for joining this forum is to learn more about Japanese N Scale loco's and fitment of DCC, and possibly Bullet Trains as I like the looks of those for myself.

Welcome wedge22,

I'm sure you'll find all the help and advice you need right here.  Foster that interest in steam, as it is a dying interest in the age of computers, portable devices and 3D animation.  Much healthier your son wandering around the house with Thomas in his hand than a fake mobile phone, I say!

I'm a DCC fan myself and use Digitrax.  The DCS50 is ideal for small to medium sized layouts.  In a couple of years you can pick up a second throttle (UT4) second-hand and drive trains together with your son.  I can't comment on converting a MicroAce D51 because I don't do steam.  I only do passenger services since 1980.  However, if you were to post photos of one "naked" (shell off) I'm sure I or someone else here could guide you.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Welcome to the forums wedge22!

You have just found the right place for Japan rail modelling infomation as the people here are very skilled, informative & friendly!

Hi Wedge22 - and welcome to the forum. As for convert the MircoAce D51 start your own thread and start off what The Ghan recommended....post a few shots of the engine with it's shell off... and it will give members here a good reason for not helping their "better half" doing chores outside in 98 degree sweltering heat and stay in an air-conditioned house... something like "Sorry Honey I'd love to mow the lawn right now, but I have to solve an important crisis at the forum...."  :cheesy

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I am awaiting delivery of the D-51 but when I have my hands on it I will post pictures, shell off.

Howdy Alessandro!

you might check out the btrain shorties as something to do with your son in the future. they are inexpensive and fun little models that you can power and run on very small layouts. You can do a lot of variety on a budget in both money and space.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,377.0.html

cheers

jeff

Thank you to all for your welcome.

In the next days I will start a new thread for my questions.

Ciao (in italian it means bye)

Ale

NuclearErick

Hi every1  :grin

my name is Erick 28 years old im a brazilian who lives and works in Japan ("dekassegui" most of Japanese people here knows that means :laugh:), i have been here for a total of 7,5 years so far, (1 year Nagano-ken, 1 year in Yamanashi-Ken, 1.5 in Okayama-ken, 1 year in Shimane-ken and the rest here in Achi) but only right now living in Inazawa-Shi i decide to buy N scale trains i do have some models of HO scale in Brazil Frateschi manufactory http://www.frateschi.com.br/site/index_eng.php?page=home_eng

as a kid in Brazil almost everyday i ask to my parents to go in the Marilia Station my hometow to see and smell some diesel trains

my plan is to buy ALL Shinkansen types and put i some kind of frame in the wall will be big or huge, but i find out is hard to only view and see pictures in the internet since i only ride in the Tōkaidō Shinkansen and  Sanyō Shinkansen i dont know anything about Joetsu, Nagano, Akita and Yamagata Shinkansen lines and Trains need help with that...

also thanks to k.k.jetcar from SkycraperCity Forum in the Japan High Speed Rail Threat i got here

kinda long my welcome but u know...  :newbie:

thanks

Hi Erick,

I used to live in Kofu, Yamanashi.  I went to high school there in the 1980's.  Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, in Australia the Frateschi brand is very expensive - $250 for one Loco.  I can get an 8-car N-scale EMU from Japan for less than that.  However, I like the quality of the Brazilian product and wish it every success.

I'm making a trip to Japan in October, which I'm looking forward to very much.  Good luck with collecting the Shinkansen.  Great idea !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hi Erick!

Welcome to the forums! Japanese shinkansen are one of the best looking and efficient high speed rails in the world! It's a great idea to collect them all! I'm sure alot of veterans here will be able to provide you with more information on shinkansens!

Have fun here and cheers!

my plan is to buy ALL Shinkansen types and put i some kind of frame in the wall will be big or huge..

Hi Erick,

welcome and good luck for your plan!  :grin

believe me, one wall is too small, maybe 2 or 3

ciao

Massimo

Welcome Erick!

shinkansens will catch you and then the rest of the japanese trains will totally snare you!

there has been a good thread of folks talking about how to go about displaying trains like you mention.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,6432.0.html

always been a dream of mine to do an exhibit here in the states with some of the n scale shinkansens elegantly displayed as you are talking about.

cheers

jeff

Hi! I'm new here... I'm Paul and I live in South London, have been collecting British outline N gauge for many years, but started using Kato track a few years back (have no space or patience for a permanent layout so it's ideal) and have been slowly moving towards other Japanese products. Have now got my first Kato Unitram set and am of a mind to build a small Japanese-ish tram layout, I'm not going for exact authenticity, just a fun twisty layout with lots of operational interest. I'm not abandoning the UK outline trains though, sorry!

Anyway I thought I'd say hi

Welcome Tyler,

You guys are putting on a fine Olympics ... congrats there, mate.

I'm from Sydney.  In the late '70's and early '80's I had 4 Hornby British LMS locos and an assortment of carriages.  OO gauge.  They are long gone now and I only got back into model railways a little over 2 years ago.  Having lived in Japan, Japanese N-scale was an obvious choice.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Welcome Tylor!

Nice British trains you have there! Are they mostly steam engines?

Unitram is very nice, and it is also easy to set up to any scale you like!

Have fun here and Cheers!

Welcome Tyler,

i think you will find a lot of fun ideas here on doing a small japanese tram layout. nice thing with japan scenes is usually you can cram a lot of detail into a small space!

cheers

jeff

NuclearErick

Hi Erick,

I used to live in Kofu, Yamanashi.  I went to high school there in the 1980's.  Welcome to the forum.

The_Ghan

i was near that it is today Kobubo Station the white building in the 4th floor i dont remember the apartment number

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=35.634129,138.548742&hl=pt-BR&ll=35.632099,138.550773&spn=0.008685,0.021007&num=1&t=h&z=16

Hi Erick!

Welcome to the forums! Japanese shinkansen are one of the best looking and efficient high speed rails in the world! It's a great idea to collect them all! I'm sure alot of veterans here will be able to provide you with more information on shinkansens!

Have fun here and cheers!

i did ride just once the 500 Series it is petty looking train my favor  :grin but inside i fell a little tight 2 x 2 and less space for my bagagge was a little back pack

my plan is to buy ALL Shinkansen types and put i some kind of frame in the wall will be big or huge..

Hi Erick,

welcome and good luck for your plan!  :grin

believe me, one wall is too small, maybe 2 or 3

ciao

Massimo

i saw a display in one of the Poppondetta's stores here Aichi was the Aeon Mall Kisogawa just 2 stations where i live right now, was kinda acrylic clued with tape or white clue later im going to post some pics of that frame

always been a dream of mine to do an exhibit here in the states with some of the n scale shinkansens elegantly displayed as you are talking about.

cheers

jeff

i cant imagine my mom's face when i going to build or doing in his house  :grin:laugh:

just a question that host i can use to post pics here in the forums ??

and thanks guys for the tips

DE 10 Basher.

Hi,everyone.

Spent the last five years or so of my twenty years in Japan spotting,photographing and when possible riding behing diesels.Mainly interested in DE10s DD51s and all of the rinkai tetsudo engines.

All the best. :newbie

Hello all,

I just arrived here!  I was looking for directions to the Tenshodo  shop in Ginza and somehow i found this forum.  I dont know if is the smallest or the biggest Forum...  it seems  that you lot are  NICE BUNCH of folk here.

I am VERY new to trains.. I hope  either to take  a "N" set home with me or have it shipped.  I am in love  with the Shinkansen. I think i will start there.

I have been to Yodabashi, and a small 3 floor shop in what i thought was Akihabara  but i think it's called"Akiba"  it's right  close to Don Quixote  they have a little bit of everything.I think  tomorow i will be heading back to that small shop to get a diecast model of a motorcycle  thats it for there.

I have seen  Tomix and Kato Brands of sets..  since i am new i have to ask this question...  is there one brand that is better than the other?My Japanese is pretty poor. The folk in the shops  were as patient  with me as they could.  I did not push the issue.  there  seems to me a lot of extra parts  available for the Tomix line. but i think the Kato brand  sells better...  at least  thats  what i was able to gather.

Since  a lot of you dont live in Japan  but some of you do...  who do you  trust to buy from?  or do you buy stateside?  I dont see much N gauge in the states....

thanks for having me

Giguchan,

Welcome, glad you stumbled onto the forum. I think you will find doing japanese trains can turn into quite a habit, errr, hobby! Glad you got bit in japan, really fun to ride them yourself to get really hooked.

quite a few options on the buying i think you found some of the options discussed on the forum, but please feel free to ask questions. there are many threads talking about pros and cons of various brands, but all are of great quality for the money and have various differences, some more universal, some particular to some models, some purely personal preferences, so no easy answer there other than its really hard to really go wrong with tomix, kato, micro ace, greenmax, and modemo. poke around some of the treads and ask questions, you will get plenty of input on this subject!

enjoy!

jeff

Might as well introduce myself here too since I've already posted a couple of times.

I'm a native New Yorker back in the city after a tour of the US midwest. It's always been about trains for me. After school I started in the manufacturing side of the industry working on RoadRailer and freight equipment (everything from the design to building them and then doing the inspections and brake tests when we shipped them out). Now I'm on the engineering side working with various transit agencies in the US and Canada. Lately it's been either running smaller work equipment projects or getting involved in a lot of the nitty gritty of contract negotiations. Quite interesting to see how this process works from the inside. I've worked with and gotten to visit the factories of most of the big carbuilders but so far only one of the Japanese concerns (Kawasaki - though I haven't gotten to their plant in Kobe yet).

Only one trip to Japan so far and that was a short stay visiting a friend in Yokohama and running around Tokyo like mad before continuing on to Micronesia. Despite the short duration, the visit was plenty long enough for me to see that nobody does passenger railways better than the Japanese. I was very impressed with the density of lines plus the shear volume of both trains and passengers (and that's coming from a New Yorker!). Technologically, there's also quite a bit of interest going on in the industry in Japan. Hopefully I can learn a little more about that here.

In addition to playing with the real things, I've also been messing about with the models. Again I'm very impressed, this time with the quality of the little machines put out by Kato, Tenshodo, Tomix and the like. 

New York's got its share of challenges but one of the biggest benefits is its diversity. Not many other places in the country where you can run down to a local shop and pick up the latest in Japanese railway magazines (or better yet, Japanese chocolate!). Now I just have to learn how to read...

Jim

Well,

Since we're all in the mood, I'll make an introduction too.  I stumbled onto this site quite by accident.  I was looking for Euro N-scale models built by Kato.  I had seen some on display at a model railway show during the summer.  I've been in air conditioning and central heating all my life.  I retired last year.  We have moved down to Crows Nest, from Hawkes Nest. Plenty of family jokes about "not leaving the nest"!

I'm looking to start afresh with a new layout and theme as I sold my OO-scale layout on Ebay earlier this year.  I was going to go European with Fleischmann.  Someone else suggested that Kato made some European models, which are cheaper than European manufacturers.  I have obviously discovered that Kato is Japanese, and that they make Japanese models.  I've only just begun to investigate what is available, and from where.

I don't know much about Japanese steam, and Kato don't seem to do European steam.  The prices of Japanese models are extremely competitive compared to their European counterparts.  I'm now investigating the HobbySearch website.  I've ordered a Kato catalog.  It should arrive next week.  In the meantime, there is plenty to research.  I may yet continue with Fleischmann, but I have a month or two before putting in my Christmas order.

Warmest regards (pardon the pun),

Boiler

Boiler,

Cool (pun intended, but I use it all the time) you found the forum, welcome! I think you will find a wonderful selection of Japanese trains to choose from! Kato, tomix and microace all make some nice steam (microace has got me collecting some steam as they are just so wonderfully done by them). Trains are so prevalent in Japan there is a huge range of wonderful and creative scenes to do. The joke is always if someone has some weird train scene idea there is probably a prototype for it in Japan! It's a great group here and pretty varied so you can ask all sorts of questions and get a wide variety of responses.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jace, welcome! Glad you got bit with your visit to Japan! Look forward to hearing about what resources you find in the NYC area, I live in the dc area and get up to the NYC area and usually try to make it to the Japanese bookstore near the NYC library.

Cheers,

Jeff