The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

bandOblades - What a nice gesture to do for your husband. There is a lot of information here in the forum just search or if you have a particular question start a "new Thread" and welcome to the forum!

Welcome bandOblades,

Japan is a great place to plan day trips / picnics etc. by train.  Check out the Japan, travel tips and memories section to find some great ideas for you and your hubby.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Guest JRF-1935

Welcome bandOblades

You have certainly come to the right place for information.  You'll find everyone here very helpful.  Great group of members. 

Rich C

welshdodger

Hello all,

My username is welshdodger I am from Wales U.K

Where most of the model railways reflect the past history of the coal mining and slate mining with lines to the coast for export

between 1880 and 1960 all that heavy interindustry has now gone     

There are a lot of model railways enthusiastic people here but looking back at the heritage of steam.

There is a good number of retired engineers still build their scaled ride on trains

I from a Design and technical background and plan to use a Tomix layout in a coffee table 109cm by 45cm although not a new  concept

I intend to use tomix trams layout on the inner radius, small electric train on the 2nd radius with a larger radius around the out side

With faller cars running as well, with further system as I go.

Found some great articles’ on the Tomix N gauge on this forum

Also a big thank you to Dave from Concept Model Trains who suggest this forum

bye for now

welshdodger

Permit me to introduce myself.

I am a BIG fan of Japanese passenger railroads, especially all those non-Shinkansen lines where you can see out the front of the train (I've seen a LOT of videos on YouTube shot through the front windows on many Japanese passenger trains, and my favorites are one person who videotaped almost uncut the San'yō Main Line from Shimonoseki all the way east to Fukuyama just west of Okayama over four videos and a couple of videos that covered entire Joetsu Line from Takasaki all the way to Nagaoka).

If I have time later this year, I may just visit Japan (along with a Japan Rail Pass) and ride a lot of these non-Shinkansen routes.

bikkuri bahn

Welcome Sacto1985.  You certainly are in for a big treat should you get over here later this year.  Cab view rides are one of the best points of railfanning in Japan, you really can get a sense of the railway and the operations of the line by observing from that vantage point.

Welshdodger & Sacto1985 - Welcome to the forum!

Dodger - Do you have any plans as of yet on your coffee table layout? If you do you can start your own thread.

Sacto1985 - If you have videos that you want to share go ahead and post them....we'd love to see them.

Welcome welshdodger & Sacto1985!  :grin

Greetings from the very small island of Sillypore where there is ZERO N gauge existence here ~

Have fun here!  :cheesy

Hey welshdodger,

Awesome idea.  There are plenty of cities running trams in Japan but one of my favourite is the Enoshima area, south of Tokyo, which might be of interest to you.  The streets are narrow in this popular tourist town and the Enoshim trams are popular with Japanese model railroad companies too.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Sacto,

I get you.  There are some truely remarkable rural and private railways in Japan.  Be sure to read up in the "Japan, Travel Tips and Memories" forum for ideas.  I'll be in Japan in October.  I've slated in about a week in the Kyoto area especially so that I can do a few trips around that area, such as a day trip to Kurama and Hieizan returning via Otsu, Arashiyama, and Koyasan, along with some of the great suburban trains around the area.

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hello everybody. I'm Paul from London, UK.

I built up a small collection of Kato about 5 years ago with some track (a circuit of elevated track and one of at grade track) and ending up selling most not long after in order to focus on UK OO gauge again. A recent family holiday to Tokyo has re-ignited my interest a bit - we took a few train trips around Tokyo and out to Hakone and Kamakura. I chanced upon this forum whilst I was searching for a list of model shops which came in very handy. I came home with a second hand Tomix 2619 Hakone-Tozan Train (about 35UKP) and a Modemo Enoden line train for a little more. So I fear I might have the Japanese railway bug again.

73b2c576.jpg

54ae7da6.jpg

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Going on holiday to Japan with an interest in model railways is always dangerous. I went there in 2008 and ended up selling all my British stock and going across to JR Eastern!

If you do take the plunge, there is plenty on here to corrupt inspire you... :grin

@tridentalx

A bit weird to say in an introduction topic, but great photos!

And of course... welcome to the forums. :cheesy

Paul - welcome to the forum....the 50000 Romance train is one of my favorites. There is a Photo gallery at the forum if you want to also post photos there as well.

Good on you, Paul,

Welcome to our forum.  I'll be doing the Hakone Tozan railway later this year.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Welcome Paul!

Thanks for the pictures! I like the picture with the cute little Tram and tons of school children pouring in..

Yes going to Japan with a hobby interest in N gauge is bad, but NOT going to Japan with a flaring interest is 10 times worse! Upmost regret till now NOT visiting ANY hobby stores while i was there... Only to be paying heavy shipping charges now...

Thanks for the welcome all. I will follow this forum with interest and try to keep my wallet mostly under control.

• Like 1

Konichiwa and G'day everybody!

My name is Jamie. I reside in Western Australia and have always had a big interest in all things JR. I especially have a soft spot for the Yamanote Line which I travelled on daily during my 3 week holiday to Tokyo in 2010. I have a small collection of mainly N gauge Kato and Tomix trains as well as some T gauge stuff. I have also recently been bitten by the B Train shorty bug and have begun collecting them also.

I also love watching TV from Japan, such as shows like Ninja Warrior, Unbeatable Banzuke, Iron chef and the classic Takeshi's Castle. My family and I also enjoy watching the Downtown yearly Batsu games.

I know a very limited amount of Japanese but I hope to learn it more soon.

On a personal note, I am employed as a locomotive driver on the Iron Ore railways in the Pilbabra region of Western Australia and also have driven suburban trains (DMU/DEMU/EMU) in the past. I also have a 6 year old son who has got the rail fan bug and helps me drive our 5" gauge train around our backyard  :grin

I look forward to getting to know everyone here and learning a lot more about Japanese trains and model railways.

... I also have a 6 year old son who has got the rail fan bug and helps me drive ...

I thought you were going to say the Pilbara Iron Ore train ...  :grin

Welcome to the forum ... love to see some photos of the 5" gauge.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Welcome to the forums E231-500! (Yamanote line?)

Greetings from the little island of Sillypore! I'm also a die-hard fan of anything japanese, coming to 20 years now!

Cheers!  :grin

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

The_Ghan: I'd love to bring my son up to the pilbara to come for a ride but he's a bit too young.  :laugh: I will see about posting some pictures of my little 5" loco when I head home after my current swing.

JR500 のぞみ: Yes, my username is my favorite japanese train whcih runs on my favorite line. I even have a block mounted poster of Densha De GO! final with the front of the E231-500 on it. One thing i really miss about japan but cant get anywhere is the Japanese Melon Soda Fanta..... So Good!!!

a_faggioli

Good morning to all,

my name is Alessandro and I live in Italy. I just bought a tomix thomas starter set for my son and I would like to build a small layout with it.

In the next days I wll ask you many information, so stay ready. 

Best regard

Alessandro

Alessandro - welcome to the forum....there are 2 things I recommend that you do: 1) start your own thread on "building your son's layout and that way members can look at how it's coming along and give you suggestions and/or advice.....and 2) You live in Italy, then invite Massimo over to your house  :cheesy  :cheesy

Welcome Alessandro,

I'm sure you and your son are going to have many hours of fun together with his Thomas set.

Cheers

The_Ghan