The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Martijn Meerts

Welcome all new registrants ;)

Densha, the server isn't located in the Netherlands, but there are quite a few Dutch people on the forum yes (myself included ;)). Some time ago I sort of joked about setting up a Dutch Japanese N-scale club, but with so many Dutch people, it might not be such a bad idea at all ...

Of course, we all live somewhat far apart, but on the other hand, with Holland being so small, no one lives really far apart.

If nothing else, it could be fun to have a meeting with all the Dutch people, somewhere central for all of us, and go grab some sushi or something. Or maybe all go to Rails Miniworld in Rotterdam, and explain to them why they need an N-scale Japanese layout there ;) (there were plans for one, but they seem to have scrapped them ...)

Thanks for the welcome.

For some years I'm active on a Dutch modeltrain forums, and after showing my Japanese train there I suddenly got many positive replies and there was even someone who (coincidence or not) also just bought a new Japanese train. So that means that there are many people interested and it could be even something that could work out.

Anyway, I know they were planning on making a Japanese layout too, but I feared too that they have scrapped the idea. I've been there two months or so ago, and saw that they made a new construction at the place where the workplace was before (they moved the workplace), and it looks like a place for a new layout. I know they were planning on making a Scottish layout too, so I don't know if it will be a new modelrailway and which country they will do, but there is a chance for Japan I think. I forgot to ask them though... stupid me.

Martijn Meerts

I emailed with them about it a bit, and they said they would consider suggestions from people about what to do next, because they're not entirely sure. For the most part, they just want to add to the existing layout, but the Japanese would be on the lower floor, where they have the (temporary?) modular layouts and where the toilets are as well. The one I mailed with, hadn't even heard of a plans for a Japanese layout, and she'd worked there for about a year, so I guess they did get scrapped...

Hello

my name is Mariusz,

curently in Phoenix Az (to damn hot, pllan on moving elswere  :cool: )

been stationed in Japan (97 to 02), were i met my wife.....

visiting quite offen (plan on beeing in Japan in November again (happy dancing)  )

orginaly from Poland (like to eplore different places and most of all try new food's,  like cooking

even to im in electronics)

like Japan for the food and culture (and at least in my opinion dont have to put up with **** )

well working on a coffe table layout for kids (self included :) ), dont have any other

layout (just some kato track to run on, had past 10 years and this track is great)

plan on making a modular wall layout for push / pull operations (have athearn metrolink and coaster)

will have caltrain, surfliner and amtrack california (might make cascades talgo since have set anyways)

like nice trains (colorfull and unusual prefered,) so have some trains from japan and us and will

run on same layout just for hell of it (besides looks intresting tgv next to shinkansen etc).

usualy post on nscale.net / nscale.org ....

gonna get some more trains (plan on either c57 or d51 either set or loco by self  like my C-11 alot want to pick up something  similar to the thomas comuter i got ... will see) on my next trip (guess need to wisit the new big

hobby store ......  LOL cant compare the train selecton here and in japan at least in the stores)

prefer N cale for the size and space wize.

Mariusz - Welcome to the forum. I'll take the hot weather of Phoenix for the winter we had last year in NY.  :grin Look forward to your posts.

Mariusz - Welcome to the forum. I'll take the hot weather of Phoenix for the winter we had last year in NY.  Look forward to your posts.

thx 

as for the summers dont like it LOL

Hey BritBuilder,

Welcome to the forum.  Are you an old hand or a newby to model railroading?  For me, I was into OO scale for about 12 years as a kid.  Then Uni ultimately took its toll, and girls, and other things that guys spend money on.  Only 18 months ago I turned again to the "Dark Side".  I'm interested in the Trains of JR East (particularly Tokyo - Kofu since 1980), Tokyo Subway, Shinkansen, and several private railways around the Tokyo, Fuji areas.

You'll find heaps of good people and info here but the best thing is you don't need a valid ticket to ride this train!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Hey BritBuilder - Welcome to the forum and I love your comment....what makes this forum great are its members. They're extremely helpful and also have a good sense of humor!

Hi,

My name is Paul

Right now I am into G Scale trains.

I have been thinking about N Scale and Japanese trains.

Joined the JNS Forum for information and inspiration,

Thanks!

Welcome Jerseytrain,

Well, N scale is quite a departure from G scale.  The good news is it is economical by comparison, particularly if you are modelling Japanese trains.  I'm sure you'll find something about Japanese trains that captures your imagination, whether it be the broad diversity in rolling stock, the painted trains, private railways or shinkansen (bullet trains).  Trams, although not my bag, shouldn't be ignored either with two of the major Japanese manufacturers making tram tracks embedded in road plates.

When it comes to real trains, one has to admire their cleanliness and punctuality - don't be running late with your layout timetable then !!!  The dramatic Japanese geography makes for interesting layout modelling too.  When travelling by train in Japan, you can literally come out of a cutting to a gully full of terraced rice fields, into a tunnel, back out to a gushing mountain stream, across a bridge, back into another cutting, to emerge in a little hamlet dominated by the local temple ... all in just a minute or so on an express train.  So, cramming all of that into a layout is not an unreasonable proposition.

For inspiration, I suggest reading Westfalen's recent 4 week holiday posts in the Japan, travel tips and memories section of Platform 5. His report provides a great insight into rural, suburban and urban railways with a good mix of JR and private railways.

I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks for the greetings.

Forgot to add, I live in Crosswicks, New Jersey USA.

I like the Rhatische Bahn in Switzerland, but I also have some Deutsche Reichsbahn and Harz G scale stuff. The RhB is a sister railway with a line in Japan, not sure which line it is. The RhB named one of their electric motors (treibwagen) "Hakone", maybe that is the name of the line.

http://flic.kr/p/7v6C7G

I wish for the N scale to supplement my interests, not replace. I am in the process of building my G Scale layout in my basement, an N Scale layout would be for my bedroom.

I appreciate your suggestions Ghan, I have started to read Westfalen's accounts and they are very interesting and informative. I like the equipment variety and the railway density of Japan. The images of block tanker trains and frequent commuter trains is supplying the urge.

I hope to be asking plenty of questions as I get closer to starting.

Paul

Hi Jerseytrain,

"Hakone" is named after the Hakone Tozan Railway, arguably the most spectacular railway in the country.  It's a must-see if you're a railfan visiting the country and makes for a good day trip from Tokyo, although I suggest spending a few nights in the area if you have time.

BTW, the link I've provided is for a website called japan-guide.  I find this site very useful.  If I want to know something about Japan I often add "japan-guide" as a keyword.  For example, Google "Takachiho Gorge Japan-Guide" and go to the Japan-Guide page ... tell me that isn't spectacular! ... pity it is so difficult to get to!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1
Mudkip Orange

I like the equipment variety and the railway density of Japan. The images of block tanker trains and frequent commuter trains is supplying the urge.

I hope to be asking plenty of questions as I get closer to starting.

Awesomesauce.

I'm over here in Pennsyltucky. There are some Baltimorons here as well.

Unit trains are cool. Although I try to stick to passenger at this point (very limited budget).

I'm over here in Pennsyltucky. There are some Baltimorons here as well.

welcome jerseytrain,

theres also some DC area japanese train freaks as well. if fact theres a japanese train club here as well if you ever want to talk a road or train trip to one of the events!

cheers

jeff

trainspacific

Hello all,  

I am a new member of this forum too.

My name is Joël and I first started in HO modeling in 1970. As military officer, I have done a lot of removals and my collection what in the cellar in boxes, a real frustration... During year 2005, I decided to convert my collection to N scale, in order to save place and because HO scale industrial models became more and more expensive. I have more than 700 N pieces in my rolling stock now: I save the place but not the money...

I'm not really a japan rail enthusiast but I particuly appreciate the quality of japanese models. So I own most of the Kato 1/160 scale european models: 5 TGV's (Orange, Eurostar, Thalys, POS and Duplex double-deck), swiss Rae II in trans Europ Express Livery, Class 66 diesel,  Orient-express sets, and some german steamers as Br 86 and Br 57 (french PLM version).

But the most important thing for me is kitbashing and transformation of models into french one's, in particuler steamers and old electrics: for this use, used (or sometimes new...) Kato and MicroAce models are excellent donnor chassis (and cheap, compared to HO). You can see my actual project in the appropriate section and I have some refuses to sell in the classified section!

Merry Christmas to all the forumers and happy New Year!

hmm what else do I say here but 'hi?' heh :)

been browsing forum on and off for quite some time but only now finally bothered registering simply because of wanting to restart a new layout with some boxed and new trains altogether :grin

(and no the boxes are not dusty!! got to thank unitrack on the dining table for one train from time to time...he he he)