The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Hello

I'm new to the forum.. I'm from Malaysia. I used to lived in Japan for 5 years. Railroad modeling is 1 of my hobby. My collection mostly from KATO and TOMIX. Nice to know about this forum.

Well?  You're nick is a conversation stopper, that's for sure!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

likeablerodent

Hello, everyone!

I've lived in Japan for a few years now. I'm more on the side of photographing and riding current trains and searching out old ones, though even though I don't do train modeling myself I think people who do it are pretty cool  :grin

Nice to meet you all!

Hello, everyone!

I've lived in Japan for a few years now. I'm more on the side of photographing and riding current trains and searching out old ones, though even though I don't do train modeling myself I think people who do it are pretty cool  :grin

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome!!! We are not cool, just poor junkies. This world of little trains is like a drug, and this forum even more...  :cool:  I landed here like one year ago, and I continue logging in daily!!!

Nice to meet you!

Dani.

Hello, everyone!

Nice to meet you all!

Hey as long as you like trains have fun here.....members here enjoy railfanning also....so enjoy and welcome to the forum!

Hello, everyone!

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome LabRat and thanks for the compliment.  We'd like to see some of your photos as they help with modelling scenery and the like.

Cheers

The_Ghan

likeablerodent

Nice to meet you all!

We'd like to see some of your photos as they help with modelling scenery and the like.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Actually, recently I've been putting more effort into videos than photos. Over in the Prototypes, pictures and videos board I already posted three videos I've made on old rail in Hokkaido.

Last summer I also spent a few months making a video of a local line where I live in Fukushima, so I'll go throw that one up too in case anyone is interested.

Speaking of Fukushima, I'm kind of surprised to have come across some discussions on the Aizu Liner (I personally call it the Akabeko-mobile). I didn't realize that it was so popular.

Anyway, if anyone needs photos of anything specific in the area, I'd be happy to oblige.

CaptOblivious

likeablerodent, welcome! I like all kinds of rodents, is there one in particular you are alluding to?

thugs_or_die, great to see you posting! You signed up like three years ago and never posted anything, so: welcome!

likeablerodent

likeablerodent, welcome! I like all kinds of rodents, is there one in particular you are alluding to?

None in particular. It's just a handle I chose out of the blue many years ago.

Wish I noticed this thread sooner.

When I was younger I got bought a couple of N-scale cars, never did anything with them. Finally pulled them out 17 years later and got interested in model trains and now I'm starting my first layout. My interest in Japan comes primarily from studies, I study History and Asian studies double major in school so most of my studies concerns eastern Asia.

• Like 1

Greetings J train buddies

I just joined this forum and thought I'd introduce myself.  I live in Adelaide, Australia but previously spent 4 years living in Japan.  Just before I left I bought a Kato Nozomi set on a whim as it struck a chord with my earlier days when I was mad keen on all things railway related.  After years stored away I pulled the Nozomi set out and started building a simple loop layout on a hollow-core door to give it a run.  Since then the layout has grown to include a more complex inner loop, junction, sidings and operating turntable.  I've spent $$$ at Hobby Search an built up a decent fleet of rollong stock with a general theme more towards 1950s-70s steam and early diesel and electric with plenty of freight.  Recently started building some Greenmax structures and getting into detailing (even though I haven't quite finshed all the track ;-).  I love modelling the Japanese prototype - not just because I lived there but because its so different to the US or UK stuff that proliforates.  The 3'6" gauge, the vast variety of unusual locos and rolling stock and the quality and affordibility of the models all appeals.  If anyone's interested I'll try to post some images or youtube of the layout under construction.

Hey Transalpen,

Well, I think you've found your second home.  This place is Japanese Rail heaven, mate.  I don't know of any other members here from Adelaide, but there are certainly three in Sydney, two in QLD and a couple in Victoria that I know about.

It sounds like you've been collecting for a while.  Hope you enjoy it here.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Some people call it Japanese Rail heaven, others call it fuel on the flames of addiction ... I guess both describe the forum quite well :)

And welcome to all those recently signed up  :grin

Nah,

He's already blown his money Martijn.  There's only "heaven" left ...

Cheers

The_Ghan

This is my first post - better get to it.

I'm from Michigan (USA).

I have mostly Tomix & Kato trains with a few Micro Ace thrown in (all n scale).

I have a collection of kit buildings going, but no space for a layout.

One day I'll have that hobby space I've been dreaming of - hehe

I prefer city buildings (city layouts with skyscrapers etc.).

My guy prefers rural japan layouts (temples, wood frame houses etc).

I've never been interested in recreating a specific rail line or city/village.

I have way more fun just putting my own spin on things.

I guess that is the basics :)

I'm looking forward to reading thru the forum & getting to know everyone.

Martijn Meerts

Welcome Amika :)

I guess we have people here who like to be prototypical, others not so much, some like cityscapes, others prefer rural setting, some have quite a bit of space, others not so much.. You'll fit right in =)

Amika - Welcome to the forum! There is nothing wrong with putting your own spin on things, it can make things interesting. Space can be a problem with layouts.....how about building a small module that you can latter add to a larger layout in the future?

Hi Amika,

This is truely a global group.  There are even a few of us from the land downunder.

With the amount of money we spend on this hobby I think it's only fair to have fun any way you want.

Enjoy

Cheers

The_Ghan

bikkuri bahn

Dennis, what you got there is a model of Taiwan's first steam locomotive, nicknamed "Touun" (rising cloud?). It was manufactured for a pre-colonial railway in the Taipei area by the German firm Hohenzollern. The model is made in Japan by well-known model company Katsumi, but it appears to be a Taiwan marketed item, as the description plate is in Chinese, though I can make out the meaning of many of the characters. The prototype still exists, and is on display in a museum in Taiwan.

thank you very much, bikkuri bahn.

The owner of this train have pass on & he had the biggest architecture firm in taiwan. He also lived part of the year in Hawaii with his wife. My wife & I were their caretakers when they are in Hawaii. He also left me alot of chinese arts that gives me a big headache trying to learn more about the items. But it makes me happy when kind people like "bikkuri bahn" helps me with infomation.  im glad to know something now about the train.Thank You

Dennis Molina

Bikkuri bahn,

Can this type of train have a engine & be able to run on train rails. It looks boring as a display trian only.

Dennis

bikkuri bahn

Bikkuri bahn,

Can this type of train have a engine & be able to run on train rails. It looks boring as a display trian only.

Dennis

As it appears to be a display model it likely does not have a motor.  You can check the underside plate, unscrew it, and see the innards.  Of course, it can likely be modified to run.  More experienced modelers on this forum can give you more detailed advice.