The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Welcome to the forum Patrick!  Amazing work on those platforms, I'm sure some of us have a lot to learn from your work too!  Is it a module or part of a larger layout?  I'm currently a bit north of Huntington in Torrance.  There are a growing number of us in California it seems.

Welcome Patrick! Glad you found the hobby and the forum!

looks like you are off to a great start! Nice work! Start a thread on your layout we all love seeing things come along. 

No worries the hobby has a lot of trying things and tearing up and trying different ways. Great thing with kato and tomix track you can play a lot with ideas and plop down structures until it really starts to feel just right.

cheers,

jeff

mr bachmann

hi , I'm Alan - deeply into N gauge/scale and have gone down the Tomy moving bus route , however I have a problem recharging , I will post a few questions in another thread .

• Like 1
mr bachmann

thanks - I have found a thread on charging 'dead' Tomytec bus battery's . reading and very interesting so fingers crossed . 

7 hours ago, mr bachmann said:

hi , I'm Alan - deeply into N gauge/scale and have gone down the Tomy moving bus route , however I have a problem recharging , I will post a few questions in another thread .

Welcome! Alan!

Hi Everyone.

After some short lurking, I thought, why not join?

Why N-Gauge? I think I needn't tell you that, but I tell you anyway:

I always loved trains, but never got much into model railroading. I inherited my fathers old Märklin stuff from the 70s, and my friends urged or even pestered me to get back into it. I already have a good collection of Märklin and Lego trains to enjoy. But the Märklin H0 ones are in bad or worse shape because of neglect, and the Lego PF System has it's own shortcommings (But I will not part with my own creations). But I finally gave in.

After some debate which system to use, as most of my friends use H0 DC or just converted to it, and seeing the prices for rolling stock. I decided to go with a third option. I can already enjoy European and Swiss rolling stock with my friends stuff, or at work. But the Japanese traines, in N-Gauge, that seemed interessting.

More precise, I encountered Sumida Crossing during some research into Japanese catenary for the video game Transport Fever. It never amounted to any mod or something. But it let me here.

And as I already loved Japan and its trains. It was an easy decision. So back in February 2018, I bought my first Kato track and some RhB rolling stock. The .jp ones came a week or two later. And I was hooked.

It somehow exploded ^^;;

As I'm not much of a craftsperson, my Layouts are, have, and will be of a temporary nature. Mostly on the wide open floors of my home. At least this way, I can ignore some distance rules and plaster everything with stuff. Just need to leave some footing left over ^^;;

And with this: Hello!

IMG_20180611_131354.jpg

• Like 9

Welcome to the forum Waisneed!   Looks like you're off to a great start.  I really like your use of the viaduct station and all the catenary poles!   Have you seen kato's suggested trackplans for exactly this sort of temporary floor setups? 

http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/

• Like 1

Welcome waisneed! 

Glad you got back into trains and found Japanese trains! And also us! So much fun variety in Japanese trains and great bang for the buck.

japanese love to do temp setups like yours. Our club here in dc did them for train shows for the first 5 years of the club. Lots can be done with perceived scenery with just colored paper and plunking down buildings and vehicles. Do enough of this and the viewer’s mind’s eye fills in the details! 

If you want to dip to dip your finger into doing a little scenery might look at doing little scenery islands to add some natural bits. Great article on this over on the JRM website by Barrie Lovell http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

look forward on seeing more of your layouts! Start a project thread on it if you feel like it.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

Welcome Waisneed! Wow Switzerland Rhine Falls! I've been there once and it's beautiful! 

I like your viaduct station, it's huge! I see you have a nice liking to Kanto area trains, like the E233 series and the E531s... About the same as me! 

Welcome to the vast world of J-train modelling! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Welcome to the forum Waisneed!   Looks like you're off to a great start.  I really like your use of the viaduct station and all the catenary poles!   Have you seen kato's suggested trackplans for exactly this sort of temporary floor setups? 

http://www.katomodels.com/unitrackplan/

Hi Kiha66! If I start with something, I go in holeheartedly. Thanks for the link, I already had a look at those, and frankly, got bored. My current layout may be a loop or two, but have a look at it:

IMG_20180613_005120.thumb.jpg.1dd8cc1a3e39f15bc7bee9604c61f0ef.jpg

But it is currently a little sparse. But I can better reach the inner parts if anything happens. My last one was way more crammed, but looked great!:

IMG_20180322_122144.thumb.jpg.1791605778c3d6db8d240bf81baf916e.jpg

I don't collect all those video games for nothing, now do I?`^^;;

6 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Welcome waisneed! 

Glad you got back into trains and found Japanese trains! And also us! So much fun variety in Japanese trains and great bang for the buck.

japanese love to do temp setups like yours. Our club here in dc did them for train shows for the first 5 years of the club. Lots can be done with perceived scenery with just colored paper and plunking down buildings and vehicles. Do enough of this and the viewer’s mind’s eye fills in the details! 

If you want to dip to dip your finger into doing a little scenery might look at doing little scenery islands to add some natural bits. Great article on this over on the JRM website by Barrie Lovell http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

look forward on seeing more of your layouts! Start a project thread on it if you feel like it.

cheers

jeff

Hey cteno4, I never lost interest in trains. I just got back into scale modelling ^^.

Thank you for the link, looks interessting and I see what I can do with my limited skills.

Should I start a thread per layout / project, or a single thread for all my temp. layouts?

6 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Welcome Waisneed! Wow Switzerland Rhine Falls! I've been there once and it's beautiful! 

I like your viaduct station, it's huge! I see you have a nice liking to Kanto area trains, like the E233 series and the E531s... About the same as me! 

Welcome to the vast world of J-train modelling! 

Oi JR500! Seems like you enjoyed your stay, if you're ever again in the area, let me know.

I grown to love those EMUs. But it's more of a coincidence that I mostly have Kanto area trains. We'll see in which direction this hobby will bring me.

Edited by Waisneed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Waisneed said:

If I start with something, I go in holeheartedly.

You better be careful. Japanese model trains is a really big rabbit hole you can lose your wallet in. That and cabinet space. I speak from experience 😀

1 hour ago, Waisneed said:

Should I start a thread per layout / project, or a single thread for all my temp. layouts?

I think 1 thread might be nice for temporary layouts. Also your temporary layout that you shared is really cool! I wish I had that much space. 

Enjoy your time here Waisneed, looking forward to your other temporary layouts/collection pictures 😉

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

You better be careful. Japanese model trains is a really big rabbit hole you can lose your wallet in. That and cabinet space. I speak from experience 😀

I noticed it. As those traines are less expensive than a single H0 Loco, I always think: There is enough budget for one more, right?

And before you know, instant ramen only ^^;;

40 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I think 1 thread might be nice for temporary layouts. Also your temporary layout that you shared is really cool! I wish I had that much space. 

Enjoy your time here Waisneed, looking forward to your other temporary layouts/collection pictures 😉

Will do, Will do.

5 hours ago, Waisneed said:

Hey cteno4, I never lost interest in trains. I just got back into scale modelling ^^.

Thank you for the link, looks interessting and I see what I can do with my limited skills.

Thats good! 

Give a try its a great great way to learn and expand your skill set. You would be surprised what you can do. Nice thing is it’s in little bits where you can easily experiment and if something goes wrong just toss it and start over! It’s a great way to learn and get confidence. The parts look great with temp setups like yours. The little bits also are great samples of various techniques if you want to do more later and can pick and choose which one fits what you want to do.

yes please do if you like! Layouts come in all shapes and forms and great for others to get ideas from as well.

cheers

jeff

Hello everyone!

I'm Paolo from Italy, and I'm really new in this amazing Japanese N-gauge world.

Let me quickly tell you how it all started and where I am at the moment.

I've always loved Japan, in every aspect: culture, food, anime, toys, people, nature,...

Only recently, in the past couple of years, I've been able to actually visit that beautiful country, and I got more deeply in love with it.

I've been there half a dozen times now, and in the past few I've been really fascinated by their trains, they are just amazing.

I don't much care about trains around the world, never been a big fan (I like airplanes more), but the Japanese train system is just incredible.

So I've decided that I had to have a piece of that at home.

Lucky me, I have a friend who is a super expert of H0 scale, he knows every aspect of the Italian train system and he has been building this huge H0 layout in his basement.

Since I have a really small space at home, he suggested I tried with the N-Gauge. Which is just perfect, as in Japan that's what they use mostly!

He's also very into DCC, so he suggested I create a small DCC layout. I've been working on it, I'll share it with you in the next few weeks in a separate thread.

Last week I took my latest trip to Japan, and I went shopping a bit (the prices are soooo much cheaper compared to Europe, at least 50% off) for Kato stuff, as they're the only ones who makes DCC friendly trains.

The layout will be inspired by Tokyo Station, so below here are the trains I bought. I'm a big Shinkansen fan, as you can see (forgive the headless H5, I already have the main set and just bough the expansion set):

2001627118_ScreenShot2018-08-16at15_58_38.thumb.png.a83b1efa311292db9e2c45b34060893b.png

Ciao!

Paolo

• Like 6

Welcome paolo! 

Glad you found us! You may find japanese model trains as addictive as the real ones and japan itself!

start a thread on your new layout, always great 

cheers,

jeff

Hello here.

My name is Sascha and i live in Germany , Northrhrine- Westfalia area.

I am a train  lover who have some N-scale trains of  EU , USA and JR ( only Shinkansen).

My Shinkansen fleet so far:

0 Series Kodama from Tomix.          (6 pcs.)

100 Series from Tomix.                         (10 pcs. )

200 Series from Tomix                              (8 pcs.)

200-1500 Series from Tomix               (10 pcs.)

300 Series from Tomix.                          (10 pcs.)

500 Series from Kato.                               (8 pcs.)

N700 Series from Kato.                           (10 Pcs.)

800 Series from Kato                                (6 pcs.)

E1 Series from Tomix                              (8 pcs.)

E7 Series from Tomix                            ( 6 Pcs.)

Eventually i will buy the E4 from Kato and the 400 Series from Tomix soon.

My maximum unit lenght is limited to 10 cars .

My layout is max.  3 x1 Meter in tabletop style with Kato Unitrack.

P1010302.JPG

• Like 4