The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Pierre-Noël Rietsch

Hi colleagues,

My name is Pierre-Noël Rietsch. I'm from Wattwil (Switzerland) but presently in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) for business reasons.

Portrait_PN_Thumb_200.jpg

I joined the forum for an exact reason: I found a japanese engine on eBay (see the topic in "Japanese: Other Gauges & Scales") and can't find anything about it. It is the very first japanese model in my collection. I also would like to invite you to see my page about railway photography: http://www.trainweb.org/railphot/Somm_E.html (english index).

Pierre-Noël

• Like 2

Welcome Pierre-Noël!

glad you found us. Many folks have been bitten by Japanese trains this way. Careful as it can become addictive! Great rail photos! Looks like you need a railfanning trip to japan!

cheers,

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Thanks 1
GiantRoboJustin

Hi everyone!

I'm from (and still reside in) Kansas, but have stayed in Japan for a summer years back. I've never traveled by rail in the states, but spent quite a lot of time on trains in Japan, including a night train (though I don't quite remember which one, or if it's still even in service since this was back in 2010) I remember one of my favorite things to see when traveling the countryside by rail (aside from the beautiful country side itself) was all the different types of freight equipment in yards and sidings along the route. I had never really noticed Japanese freight trains before, probably because they are so often overshadowed by shinkansens and other high tech passenger trains and trams. It was really cool to see how different they were from the trains I was used to seeing here in the states. In hindsight I should've made a point to visit some railway museums there, but I was too distracted by the automotive ones, lol. I did get to see a pretty cool steam engine on display next to a park near my friend's apartment though. Anyways, I've been a visitor to this forum many times since I got back into the hobby last spring, and have found it to be quite a helpful resource, so I reckoned I should join. Looking forward to asking many questions, as well as sharing my experiences in hopes of answering ones other people might have as well!

-Justin

Welcome Justin! 

Sounds like Ike you have many fond memories of riding the rails in japan like many of us! Feel free to post a thread if you have Picts and experiences you would like to share, many here love the vicarious train trip!

Are you getting into rr modeling at all?

cheers,

jeff

Pierre-Noël Rietsch
17 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Looks like you need a railfanning trip to japan!

Of course, I think I really would enjoy! (and particularely if old electrics are still in operation!)

Hello!

I'm not exactly new to this forum, I posted a few posts before a while back but I'm under a new name now because my old one is lost (the email address linked to it is no longer functioning).

Anyway trams are my thing mostly!

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Hello!

I'm not exactly new to this forum, I posted a few posts before a while back but I'm under a new name now because my old one is lost (the email address linked to it is no longer functioning).

I noticed you tram pics in the albums section.  You have a lot of Kumamoto 9700 trams.

5 hours ago, katoftw said:

I noticed you tram pics in the albums section.  You have a lot of Kumamoto 9700 trams.

I managed to buy a load all in one go for quite cheap!

GiantRoboJustin

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'll try to post some bits from my adventures soon.

As far as getting into model RRing, indeed I have! I started back into it when I found my old train stuff while helping my parents organize their basement last summer, and have been amazed at the advancements that have come along since the 90's. Currently I have a small (though probably large by Japanese standards) Unitrack layout around a television in my room, It's nothing terribly fancy, but I'll try to post some pics of it soon too. 

Justin,

sounds like a great start! Playing a lot with it is the best start to start realizing what you might want for the long haul.

jeff

On 22/02/2018 at 7:19 AM, PaulJ said:

Hello!

Welcome. After years of having a standard n scale Japanese layout im about to embark on the trams as well- your not alone

KeikyuWayne

Hi everyone,

New to the forum here.  Just ran across it.

I became interested in Japanese n-gauge when I lived in Japan for three years working for the US Navy.  Lived in Yokohama and worked in Yokosuka, and my wife was from the Tama section of Tokyo, so I became very familiar with just about every rail line between Yokosuka and Tokyo, with of course the good old Keikyu line being my sentimental favorite.  Had a small apartment and just barely enough room for an n-gauge simple loop.   My favorite place was the Hara model railroad museum in Yokohama.   Just a few blocks from my apartment.  Totally incredible. 

Look forward to meeting everyone on the forum!!

Edited by KeikyuWayne
  • Like 2

Welcome Wayne! 

Glad you found the forum! Hope you have more room for more of a layout now. 

Cheers

jeff

Welcome to the forum Wayne!  I also got sucked into Japanese N gauge through a similar reason, although sailing civilian as a mil contractor.  I was only in Yokohama for a few days, but it was a nice town.  I cant believe I missed the Hara museum, I'll have to go back and visit it one of these days.

Hello!

My name is Michael, I'm from Munich (Bavaria, Germany), got a wife and a son, and I'm a (more or less active) Z gauge modeler ever since the '70s. When I started work on a (yet unfinished) layout for my son and me I've chosen to use Rokuhan track for not having to ballast the tracks. Next I bought a DD51 to test what could be made of the chassis, and that's probably when the love bug bit! Thus, beside my european stuff, I have now acquired also a few japanese trains (and my boy owns a Shinkansen 500 to complement his ICE3), and with the release of Rokuhan's Z Shorties there are even more to come.

We do have an asian section over at Z-Freunde international ,but to tell the truth the interest there in asian/japanese subjects is very limited. Therefore, I've come over here for those particular aspects.

What else?

I'm deep (really deep) into paper modeling, which - obviously - has a large overlap with the railway hobby.
And I'm the proud servant of two cats, which is a good thing, too: Though by no means beeing a requirement, one or more 猫 greatly improve any 駅!

So much for an introduction - all else will follow in the appropriate sections!

Michi

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Michael!  It seems Japanese modeling is growing over in your part of the world.  Be sure to share some pictures of your setup and of your paper models!

-Sam

2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Be sure to share some pictures of your setup and of your paper models!

I shall certainly do so - as soon as I find out how to attach images!

reHi! 

Not new new to the forum, but back after about a years absence!  I. Now 8000kms closer to Japan back home in Canada on Vancouver Island.  Sad to say I couldn’t pack my T-track module, but I have salvaged everything off it, I’m building a new layout that’s going to be confusing as I want European, Canadian an Japanese Trains.  I’m thinking of generic scenery with swapable built up areas?  It’s a challenge but I just love Trains from everywhere and want to run the, all.

going to try and stay engaged on the forum as much as possible as I don’t know anyone here and it would be nice to speak to people occasionally!

Graham

• Like 4