The Introduction Thread...

Darren Jeffries

Welcome Dustin! 

Glad you found the mad house. Lots of folks here interested in Japanese trains and model trains. Dig into the forum and you will find a lot there to read and then jump in and ask questions! 

Cheers

jeff

Hello everyone

I am Denis from Estonia. I was long time interested in railway modelling, and even had a starter set from the end of 90-s. But other hobbies, lack of time and resources led to an abandoned layout idea.

After trip to Japan this year (2017), I loved the Japanese railways from the first sight. The appearance, operations, workers behaviour is so different from the local. So I have bought 3 items of rolling stock: KiHa 23, 53 prebuilt and 40 kit and started to plan making the layout. In the next months after the trip, the main layout idea has crystallized and now I need more information. That's why I searched the internet, found this forum and decided to register to be able to ask my questions. And probably find answers, help somebody else, find somebody with similar interests in the neighbourhood or just discuss on the Japanese railway topic.

On 8/30/2017 at 1:42 PM, dgreen787 said:

Hello everyone,

I'm Dustin, from the southeast United States. I got interested in Japanese rail after a 3 week trip in Japan, traveling from Sendai to Nagasaki. I was originally drawn to the r/model_trains reddit, but they mostly work with American and some European rail. This forum was mentioned as the go-to for Japanese railway modeling, so here I am. 

I very recently finished building a 3x6ft table to run my small collection on, with the Kato M1 loop and the mainline passing set. Current lineup is an "All Around Kyushu" 787 series (KATO), a KiHa 58/65 Seaside Liner (TOMIX), and the Sendai A1/A2 485 series Aizu liner (TOMIX). My primary interest is JR Kyushu, and specifically the Nagasaki and Omura lines.

Hi Dustin, belated welcome to the forum!

2 hours ago, dmmedia said:

Hello everyone

I am Denis from Estonia. I was long time interested in railway modelling, and even had a starter set from the end of 90-s. But other hobbies, lack of time and resources led to an abandoned layout idea.

After trip to Japan this year (2017), I loved the Japanese railways from the first sight. The appearance, operations, workers behaviour is so different from the local. So I have bought 3 items of rolling stock: KiHa 23, 53 prebuilt and 40 kit and started to plan making the layout. In the next months after the trip, the main layout idea has crystallized and now I need more information. That's why I searched the internet, found this forum and decided to register to be able to ask my questions. And probably find answers, help somebody else, find somebody with similar interests in the neighbourhood or just discuss on the Japanese railway topic.

Hi Denis, welome to the forum!

Welcome denis! 

Glad you got to visit japan, it's a sure way to turn an interest in trains and model railroading into a passion! Lots and lots of trains to choose from and a huge variety of scenes you can do with Japanese trains as you Saw theynare everywhere!

dive in and feel free to ask questions, there's quite a variety of folks and interests here.

cheers

jeff

Hello Denis!  

Welcome to the forum, always glad to have more modelers here.  Please feel free to share photos of the Kiha 40 kit as you build it!

-Sam

Hello everyone!

My real Name's Gilang from Indonesia. Currently a student studying Graphic Design (more to web and app design)  In University.  I came to like railways from a young age and Japanese ones from when I was In Highschool ( also due to the fact 2nd hand Japanese EMU's are being used here as well).

Had a trip to Japan back in around 2014 for a 2 week language course program, it was fun and exciting especially seeing the railways over there first hand  , tried some lines around tokyo ( Yamanotte, Chuo rapid, musashino etc) and the Fukuoka subway 

Also Stumbled on  some  N scale models in the hobby shops when I was there,   I always dreamt of building my own layout when i was younger  and seeing those N scale models  fuels my dream of making a layout even further , but unfortunately other needs has taken over for now.  My eventual goal is to make a urban  style layout with lots of commuter EMU's and probably some limited express running on it   ( hopefully once I got my other need to get lists and probably graduate and start making money for myself /get a job. Il start saving up for that dream) 

I also like to do photography and In my spare time i often photograph trains or venture out to good hunting spots just to take pictures of various trains passing by , or try lines that I never pass on before .  Usually with my mates or so.  Sometimes I just take my camera when I go to university and if I happen to take the train on the way back il probably snap some stills there and there. 

Discovered this forum when I was browsing about Japanese trains (coudn't remember exactly what I was searching at that time ) , and was looking for a place where I could gain new info and discuss stuff regarding Japanese railways in general .  and now here I am!

Welcome Gilang!

you have found the place for Japanese trains! Hope you can get into the model railroading hobby here, it’s very enjoyable and lots of interesting crossovers with your profession.

start a thread with some of your Indonesian train Picts in the internanstional trains Forum, many here have a big interest in trains from all over and also lots being secondhand Japanese trains will further interest folks!

if you can swing getting one of the model building courses at your university (usually for the industrial design and architecture students) it’s great way to learn how to scratch build stuff and think in model terms.

enjoy

jeff

21 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Welcome Gilang!

you have found the place for Japanese trains! Hope you can get into the model railroading hobby here, it’s very enjoyable and lots of interesting crossovers with your profession.

start a thread with some of your Indonesian train Picts in the internanstional trains Forum, many here have a big interest in trains from all over and also lots being secondhand Japanese trains will further interest folks!

if you can swing getting one of the model building courses at your university (usually for the industrial design and architecture students) it’s great way to learn how to scratch build stuff and think in model terms.

enjoy

jeff

Thanks!, Il try to gather some of my pictures and start a thread ( edit: currently making a thread but somehow cant link my pictures over from flickr. Wont budge for some reason . working now )

I wish there are courses like that available but from the looks of it theres none at the moment, hoping for a seminar or some workshop to show up about that subject. 

Edited by fadhhz

I think you can do a Flickr embed in the forum with their system.

its sad as cad is pushing out doing hand drawing and modeling a lot these days. It is definitively not the same! Great skill to have these days as so many can’t do anything without their computer... I’ve worked with architects who say they can’t draw and would not even scribble on the white board during conceptual meetings, very sad... my design partner is one of the greatest sketch artists I’ve ever seen and I’m the anthisis but he has always encouraged me to sketch away ideas on the board in meetings as he would always say it’s about the idea, not the pretty picture!

jeff

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Welcome Gilang :-)

16 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Welcome to the forum Gilang!

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

I think you can do a Flickr embed in the forum with their system.

its sad as cad is pushing out doing hand drawing and modeling a lot these days. It is definitively not the same! Great skill to have these days as so many can’t do anything without their computer... I’ve worked with architects who say they can’t draw and would not even scribble on the white board during conceptual meetings, very sad... my design partner is one of the greatest sketch artists I’ve ever seen and I’m the anthisis but he has always encouraged me to sketch away ideas on the board in meetings as he would always say it’s about the idea, not the pretty picture!

jeff

Yeah turns out it automatically embeded the images , didnt realize that.

True CAD has been like the staple nowdays, and I am interested in gaining the skills on hand modeling. And brushing up on my drawing skills. And yep its all about the Idea , my lecturers always emphasized on this 

Great to hear your profs preached this. Being able to sketch well will always put you ahead in the whole process and with your future clients.

you can do a lot with just cardstock and chipboard to model buildings and such, really inexpensive way to get started. Even a lot you can print out and cut up for free.

cheers,

jeff

Hello guys

I live in rural Scotland (UK). Started with OO gauge when I was a kid. Always loved trains I guess the real reason is that my father use to work for railway rolling stock manufacturer.

Now I'm starting with N gauge and I hope to get some help from you guys once I've been away from the hobby for so long now.

• Like 3

Welcome Tavora! 

Youve found the right place for your Japanese train itch. Take a look around the Forum, lots of great content and ask away with questions and folks can see what answers they can come up with for you!

cheers

jeff

Hi Everyone,

Another new face around here. My name is Kurt Laidlaw and I live in the Pacific Northwest. I'm in my my very late 60's, but still young at heart. I am just getting interested in Japanese trains. I am an avid watcher of Japan Railway Journal and was seduced by the Shikashima Express train. It is such an exquisite train I wanted to book a trip on it. When I discovered the cost to travel on the real one, I decided it was better to buy the model. I run mostly on a club NTRAK layout, which is DCC, so anything I buy has to be converted if I am going to run it. I seem to mess up every conversion I do, so I have gotten to paying to have it done right the first time. I am sure I am going to have lots of questions as I delve into Japanese trains.

On as slightly different note, I am excited to be going to Japan in late August/early September. I'll be in the Kansai for a couple weeks. If anybody can recommend a train store in Kyoto or Osaka (hopefully where somebody speaks English) I would love see what is available on the shelves.

Kurt