Structures: Kato, Tomix & Others

Martijn--You have just posted something I've been debating. It's about the look of the Tomix & Kato structures. I have the kato & Walthers Cornerstone station platforms and haven't decided which to use on the layout. The dimensions are different but the Kato's look very plastic whereas the Cornerstone don't.

Here is a link to the Cornerstone butterfly platforms:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/wrr/wrr3258.htm?source=froogle

And here is an example of the Kato platform:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003159

I don't know, do the Cornerstone look too North American in design? Plus with the difference in dimensions, I will have to reposition my tracks.

CaptOblivious

Bernard: This isn't really a direct reply to you, but perhaps useful and topical nonetheless (given the topic title).

Here are some interesting pages on Tomix stations. You should put the pages through a translator, but the images speak for themselves, I think.

http://www.vivimodel.com/03.tomix/15.sutorakutya/4001a.stations_platforms/4001a.stations_platforms.htm

http://www.vivimodel.com/03.tomix/15.sutorakutya/4001b.stations_platforms/4001b.stations_platforms.htm

http://www.vivimodel.com/03.tomix/15.sutorakutya/4001c.stations_platforms/4001c.stations_platforms.htm

Martijn Meerts

There is a fairly easy way to get rid of the plastic look. Or at least, it'll make them a lot less plastic.

The main reason the things look so plastic, is because they're quite shiny. To partially fix that, you can apply a simple black wash. Make a mix of flat black paint and water. The ratio depends on how "dirty" the building should be. Usually I start with 1 part paint and 10 parts water. This makes a very thin wash, but it's better to add too much water than too little. Multiple washes is easy, a too thick was means stripping the building. Also add a drop of dishwashing liquid to the black wash. Use a regular soft brash to cover the entire building with this wash. The black paint will settle into creases, so your building will get a lot more detail. The flat surfaces will also start looking a bit dirty and used. The greatest thing though, once dry most of the plastic shine will be gone. Apply as many washes as needed, certain area's might need more washes than others. Note that it's a VERY basic way of weathering, and is normally only used as a last step to add a little more texture. In a lot of cases you need to add others colouring first, such as oil residue on locomotives as well as water residue on steamers etc. But the black was is a good way of making things seem less plastic.

Some of the larger buildings also have large walls of fairly thin plastic, so they will light up based on the overall light situation (subsurface scattering of light). Especially when installing interior lighting, they look like big lightboxes. Painting the inside of the walls black will fix that problem.

In addition to washing, you can also spray with Dullcote then give  a nice dusting with powdered pastels. That seems to take a lot of the plastic appearance off the model.

Of course, the *best* way to get rid of the plastic look is wholesale repainting, which I often do, even if it means completely dismantling a premade structure.

Alright, I decided to purchase the Walther's Butterfly platform sets. Here is a side by side comparison of the Kato & Walther's platforms.

As you can see the Walthers' is much smaller all around but there is something about the look that I really like. But the area where I want to put the platforms is measured for the Kato stations and the space is too wide for the Walther's

post-22-13569922157217_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922157642_thumb.jpg

I got to admit despite the quality of details found on Kato trains, I am disturbed by the lack thereof in regards to their buildings and scenery accessories. The Walthers looks a lot better.

Alright, I decided to purchase the Walther's Butterfly platform sets. Here is a side by side comparison of the Kato & Walther's platforms.

As you can see the Walthers' is much smaller all around but there is something about the look that I really like. But the area where I want to put the platforms is measured for the Kato stations and the space is too wide for the Walther's

alpineaustralia

I hate to be the lone voice of dissent but I reckon the Kato looks better. I agree with Martijn that you can take the shine off it and it would look better but I cannot see what you guys see vis-a-vis the walthers. 

Martijn Meerts

Some of the cheaper kits don't look all too good, but the same goes for walthers, faller, tomix, greenmax etc.

If you want pretty much consistently good looking and high quality buildings, the best option is Vollmer. Unfortunately, not many stores have those and obviously they're all european (mainly German) prototype buildings ;)

The problem I have is that I'm probably will going to go with the Kato stations because I measured the spacing between the tracks based on the width of those stations. The biggest advantage of the Walther's stations is cost. You get 8 platforms compared to about the price of 2 Katos. I think I'll try weathering the Kato platforms.

Martijn Meerts

I have a Tomix loco-shed, one of those pre-built things.. That one looks very plastic and toy-like as well.

Options are limited though, if you want Japanese prototype buildings. That's another business we can go in, make Japanese prototype building kits, just make some molds and use resin to make the casts. I wonder what the Japanese would say about a non-Japanese company making Japanese building kits =)

I have a Tomix loco-shed, one of those pre-built things.. That one looks very plastic and toy-like as well.

Options are limited though, if you want Japanese prototype buildings. That's another business we can go in, make Japanese prototype building kits, just make some molds and use resin to make the casts. I wonder what the Japanese would say about a non-Japanese company making Japanese building kits =)[/quote

Probably the same thing we say about a Japanese train manufacture building American model locomotives.  :D

CaptOblivious

Options are limited though, if you want Japanese prototype buildings. That's another business we can go in, make Japanese prototype building kits, just make some molds and use resin to make the casts. I wonder what the Japanese would say about a non-Japanese company making Japanese building kits =)

Probably the same thing we say about a Japanese train manufacture building American model locomotives.  :D

You mean, "Best quality locomotives, ever!" ?

alpineaustralia

Bernard - I reckon you weather the Kato station and platforms  and you will never look back at the Walter ever again.

Alpine - the spacing of the track is based on the size of the Kato platforms and it would be a pain, especially after I've finished ballasting, to take up the tracks and change the spacing for the Walther's stations. I'm going to stay with the Kato structures and I do like the new Kato stations that to2leo posted, I just wished the price of them was a little more in line with the Walthers.

@Bernard and to all who are interested

I am in the process of purchasing the new Kato Overhead Suburban Station and its expansion set.

I will update this thread and add my response once I got my camera working.

CaptOblivious

@Bernard and to all who are interested

I am in the process of purchasing the new Kato Overhead Suburban Station and its expansion set.

I will update this thread and add my response once I got my camera working.

Then you, or others reading this thread, will be interested in this movie, which shows how easy it is to light the new platforms that are part of this set:

SubwayHypes

I hate to be the lone voice of dissent but I reckon the Kato looks better. I agree with Martijn that you can take the shine off it and it would look better but I cannot see what you guys see vis-a-vis the walthers. 

not the lone voice, i totally agree with you.  if you are modeling japanese trains you NEED japanese style platforms.  those walther platforms look very european to me, when i see them i think "London" and not "tokyo"

The kato platforms are excellent because they have benches, food stands, staircases, and a ton of decals to put on every sign there.  they even have the yellow lines for the blind people.  plus if you want to get an overhead station, im sure the walther isnt compatible.

Hi Subway - One of the things I've been working on is modifying the Walther's platforms to fix with the Kato overhead station. I still need 2 more overheads and 1 more Walthers kit to finish the job. I raised the platforms with foam. Here is a photo of the work in progress. I'll add the finer details later.

post-22-13569922664874_thumb.jpg

SubwayHypes

^that looks cool, im trying to find a good overhead station.  I was thinking of going with that green one from kato, i still might, however i recently ordered this greenmax station kit because i have never seen it before in other peoples models.  Im gonna assemble and see how it works.

30a.jpg

Subway - That is one of the models I have been thinking about adding to my kitbash station. I look forward to seeing your results and thoughts pn it.

SubwayHypes

Theres some pictures of that building kitbashed on the setagaya layout, under his building section.  It shows that back with a big hole where the ramp apparently comes out of.

I want to see if i can shorten the ramp so that the staircase is almost attached to the side of the building, hopefully i can do that, if not, i am gonna have to do some rearranging of my layout or possibly buy the kato overhead instead.  If i buy the kato overhead i want to repaint the green to a more neutral color.