Spotting... JR Hokkaido

disturbman

Hey! You change your comment!

I too love JR Hokkaido trains and I'm very tempted to buy next week release (789系) and next month release (Kiha 261系-1000) and mars release (Kiha 183 Okhotsk) and... Urgh!!! Too much nice trains.

Maybe I'll try to visit the island this year.

Yes, that stretch of track is the Chitose Line between Kaminopporo and Kita-Hiroshima, just outside of Sapporo.  Good variety of traffic since you have a constant parade of passenger trains from two lines (Sekisho and Chitose/Muroran) plus Honshu and eastern Hokkaido-bound diesel freight.

This line is actually the newer route- the original Chitose Line was located on the opposite side of the valley and was single track, with no electrification. It was in its final days the haunt of kiha 80 ltd. expresses as well as D51 and C57 hauled freight and passenger trains.  It is now a bicycle and hiking trail.  Right now, being the middle of winter, you can easily see the course of the original line as otherwise the dense forest hides the right of way.

Thanks Bikkuri for the infos. I guess, you don't have any picture showing what your speaking about, do you?

I have a few, I'll have to post them sometime...

Very inspirational. I will be spending a few days in Hokkaido during my next trip later this year and am hoping to spend a bit of time trackside getting some video like this.

Here is a picture of the old Chitose Line roughly in the same area as the video, though perhaps a bit closer to the Sapporo/Kita Hiroshima city line around Kami-Nopporo.  As you can see, the line is single track, has much sharper curves, and was steamy (the best part).  You can faintly see the route of the current Chitose line in the background, as evidenced by the straight line cutting diagonally across the top left.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/xjqyb223/GALLERY/show_image_v2.html?id=http://img2.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/4e/71/xjqyb223/folder/1503050/img_1503050_54657713_4?1209386993

the blog post in its entirety:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/xjqyb223/54657713.html

Hey! You change your comment!

I too love JR Hokkaido trains and I'm very tempted to buy next week release (789系) and next month release (Kiha 261系-1000) and mars release (Kiha 183 Okhotsk) and... Urgh!!! Too much nice trains.

Maybe I'll try to visit the island this year.

this year I debated between Hokkaido and Wakayama. I chose Wakayama too Kishi Station. Sucks to, looks like according to the website and the yahoo group, the station is closed to be remodeled.

Nice video, uncommon coverage of the eastern (Kushiro area) portion of the Nemuro Main Line. Around 1:18 the 283 unit is making its final approach into Kushiro Station, in the background you can see the Kushiro Maintenance Depot, and a 183 cab unit in original JNR Colors.

A Crystall Express video:

Video taken at Kami-Nopporo Station, my favorite train watching spot in the Sapporo area.  Prefer it in warmer months, tho...

I really need to get to Hokkaido someday. Good place for a combined train-geek/bird-geek/landscape-geek/walking trip.  :grin

Scott, I'm starting to plan my fall 2010 Sapporo/Aizu-Wakamatsu trip now if you want in.

That sounds great. If it wasn't for the sudden hit of both major car repairs and our recent trip to Costa Rica, I'd be really tempted.  :grin

I'm talking fall, Scott. Plenty of time to fix the ole car.

Costa Rica!? Do they even have trains there!?  :laugh:

Scott, I'm starting to plan my fall 2010 Sapporo/Aizu-Wakamatsu trip now if you want in.

Exactly the new focus of my train collection... and certainly what I'm going to visit this year if I managed to grow enough strengh to book my plane ticket.