Sumida Crossing

KenS

I was at the LHS today, and they were all out of normal (transparent) inkjet decal paper, but had some of the white stuff.  So I picked up a couple of sheets.  This gives me another idea: in addition to the signs I was planning, I can do some window-applied advertising/signs.  My Tomix gas station will probably be the trial run for this.

I need to get the work on the apartment houses done before I turn my hand to that, so it's going to be a while yet. But store windows are often almost totally blocked with advertising, so a way to replicate that is appealing.

ken,

will be interesting to hear how the white works, ive seen it but only used the transparent myself. only rub is that you have to cut it off at the edge cleanly, but if you are doing rectangular stuff no worries!

jeff

It's been a while since I did any video of the layout, and unfortunately it's likely to be a while before I do more, as I'm still bogged down in rewiring the entire track power system (an overly complex design, coupled with my dislike of soldering and talent for procrastination is a recipe for endless delay). Mostly I've been working on scenery lately, which holds more promise of doing something that I can look at and say "it's done" in a reasonable time. Of course, scenery without trains is fairly pointless on a model railroad, so I really need to finish the power work and get back to running trains. When I do, I'll shoot more video.

In the interim, I've dug up some really old video, shot over Christmas break in 2009 and early January 2010 and edited it into a short clip. This was of test runs back when I'd just put down the first layer of foam, and laid temporary track for the subway line on it to validate that it worked and looked the way I expected it to. This was before I had good room lighting, and days after I got the video camera, so the quality isn't even up to my later standards (which are hardly cinematic). But it's an interesting record of the early days of the layout, and it does show the complete "subway" loop before it was hidden by scenery.

BTW, I could actually run trains on the outer "express" loop until recently, when I removed a couple of feeders. I think withdrawal symptoms are setting in, and I need to fix that fairly soon.  :grin

KenS,

I hear you, mate.  I'm currently wiring my BDL168s and RX4s for my layout.  Absolute torture.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

Inspired by the discussion on the Camera Car thread, I bought a cheap memory-card video camera this week.  It's a small (18mm diameter) standard-def camera designed to mount on a helmet or the frame of a pair of glasses. But set atop a flat car, it will stay roughly in place to film an "engineer's eye" view of the track.

I'm not very happy with it, but it is a substantial improvement over nothing, so I went ahead and put together a quick "layout tour" using some test video I shot. For this, the camera was simply resting atop one end of a KOKI container flat car, with the container-holding bumps on the car keeping the camera in place, if not perfectly vertical (I think the "this is top" mark on the camera is in the wrong place too, which doesn't help; I'm not impressed by this camera).

The layout's in a bit of a mess too, as I'm still cleaning up from months of disuse due to the wiring work, plus various construction debris and dust on the layout. You can see a board with some painted catenary poles taped to it sitting atop one of the bridges, and a bunch of wiring in the rivers. More work is definitely called for.

The good news is that I have some vacation time, and in between other chores, should be able to get the layout cleaned up and at least back to full usability of the outer two tracks.  Until I finish the remaining three DCC circuit breaker/occupancy detector boards, one of which has been half-done for six months (I hate soldering), the commuter and subway lines remain out of service.

And yes, I know the camera's internal clock is off by 12 hours.  If I can't find a way to turn the date stamp off, I'll fix that.

• Like 2

For the first time in quite a while, I'm thinking about scenery rather than the systems that make the layout work.  I've long had one end of the oval without scenery, the end with the return loops around the big gap where a helix down to storage tracks will someday go. The original intent was to hide all of this behind some backdrops I never got around to building.

But a few weeks ago, reading someone's discussion here about a hilltop scene, I realized that there wasn't anything preventing me from putting a removable lid on the helix hole, and decorating it with scenery.  It can't be used for trains (well, maybe a short tram line, I need to think about that some more). But I could finally do a "temple on a wooded hill" scene, with the lower flanks of the hill used for residential buildings.

For the last few weeks I've been tossing ideas around about how the "cap" will fit above the future helix without interfering with it. I finally decided on a method of supporting it, and I spent part of today beginning to construct the support frame. I'll post pictures of that when it's a bit further along, but to start here's a sketch of how I think it will look, and a photo showing the view (from my Riverside Station area) to where it will be, under and behind the computer monitor.

There will be two viewing angles, this one and from over the elevated urban station on the other side of the layout, so the scene needs to work from both angles. From the Urban Station, the viewer is looking over the upper platforms, and the end of the viaduct station will bump up against the start of the hill (that's the gray bit top-left in the graphic).  From the Riverside Station, the tracks down to the helix will be under and behind the green bridge, and may have a small scenic backdrop below the bridge level to conceal them for this angled view.

I may also put a small backdrop at the end of the whole layout, just to hide the white wall a bit.

It's very much intended to be background, something seen out of the corner of the eye rather than looked at directly, almost a 3d backdrop. One purpose of the hill will be to hide the fact that the tracks loop around the back and return.  I think I'll leave them exposed, with a retaining wall to the hill rising up above them, rather the putting them in a tunnel, primarily to ease access for cleaning the fixing derailments, but I haven't made up my mind about that yet.

Comments welcome.

post-228-0-79557700-1361079330_thumb.jpg

post-228-0-64743600-1361079343_thumb.jpg

SubwayHypes

looking good man, cant wait to see this come along.  i rode the train through sumida crossing a few weeks ago, it was snowing out and all the cherry blossum trees were bare but still made for a nice image.

Hi Ken,

I have a similar table to yours for my Japan inspired layout, actually 14x5. I like your plan, especially the subway, but I can't seem to come to grips with how you get to your storage tracks. You mention a a 5.5 turn helix, but I get the impression that beneath all that you have a solid top table.

My current layout has some of your elements, such as the elevated station, and a dense (to me ) Metro area complete with the Tokyo Tower. I am asking about storage, as I want to run freight trains as well as the rich variety of passenger trains.

Also, how difficult is it to add dcc to Kato and Tomix trains? I have 70 year old fingers, and a number of trains that need dcc, and lighting.

Regards,

Lou La Salle

Well, at present the storage tracks remain a planned feature, so I don't get to them at all.  If I ever get around to it, there will be a heliex entered at one end of the layout, underneath a false raised hill.  That end doesn't use a solid table top, but rather typical "cookie cutter" 1/2" plywood on L-girder supports.

The tracks go down from "ground" to -2.5" ("water level") on the sides of the long "Riverside Station", and then enter the (future) helix via a tunnel or just a hidden gap (I keep changing my mind on that part).  If you look at my track plan page, the blue tracks on the front are the visible descending ones, and the ones on the right are the start of the helix.  See the Hilltop Scene for a mockup of what it should look like (the pink foam is above the open space for the helix).

The hardest problem of design was getting a wide enough helix that the grade needed to descend below the entering tracks (and the wood supporting them) isn't too steep for the trains to climb. I really didn't allow enough space to do it right, one reason I've procrastinated on building it.

With 14' to work with, you might be able to just run a long ramp down. An 8' run with a 3% grade gets nearly a 3" drop, so you could drop far enough on one side to duck under the table on the end, and curve back to hidden storage just below the back.  You'd need to rig the storage tracks so you could lower them for maintenance, but that might be simpler than building a helix.

For DCC, much depends on the specific model (see the DCC section of the forum for many examples).  The Kato drop in ones could be problematic with dexterity issues. Getting the lights and cab decoders in I have problems, and my 54-yo fingers are still pretty flexible (eyesight, now that's a different problem...). 

Wire-in ones (most Japanese models) can be problematic just in taking the model apart and finding/making space for the decoder.  Soldering shouldn't be a big problem as long as you use clips and things to hold the wires in place (and away from plastic) while you solder them, unless you have hand-shake problems.

Lightboard-replacement models can be quite easy, but sometimes it's harder than it should be.  Installing a lightboard in my DE10 required milling the weight with a file due to a resistor in the wrong place.  I have a page describing my fun with that.

loulasalle

Hi Ken,

Lou La Salle from Buck County, PA.

i am emulating your layout, as I find the Sumida River concept very appealing. but I have a few questions for you, if you have time. I see that the subway line shows underground on your layout prints, but your text says that it runs at ground level next to the elevated Station. Am I misinterpreting or did I miss something. Can you explain that one for me, sometimes a fail to see the obvious. Also having done height measurements over the course of my career, basing zero as the table top, i am having a trough time converting your "ground level to what should be. I am thinking that the ground level station is 2.75" above the table top, the elevated is another 50mm above that, and that the end scenery can go even higher??

Any enlightenment that you can provide will be a big help.

I currently have a temp./ 10x5 layout and I am starting to build your version from the left of your plan. My first part will be a 6x5 section. table top, with the first part of the river have been painted. i am sure that at this time of the year, progress will be slow.

Thanks, and Best Regards

Lou La Salle

loulasalle

Ken,

Thanks for the feed back! I am scrolling thru all of your posts, and pictures to get an idea of what work lies ahead of me. I just removed some benchwork from my O scale layout, to add to the N scale, with that it will bring the layout to 16x5. I was admiring some of your under table wiring, looks like it was done with Military precision, and square corners. Reminds me of my Sonar gear from a long time ago. i will be working on the left side of your plan for a while, and then call it quits until late fall. keep your posts and pictures coming.They are enjoyable.

On another note, i was just breaking in a new set, actually two of Yokosuka Line trains that just arrived from Hobby Search. An older version that I have ridden when home-ported there, and the newer, sleeker model, both from Kato.

Regards,

Lou

Sumida Crossing!  What an inspiration!!  I referenced your work on many occasions.  Thank you.

Edited by Richard

Like countless other people, I've been using Sumida Crossing as a sort of encyclopedia of everything N-scale for a long time. It's a truly amazing website. I never knew this thread existed. It's like a realtime parallel to the SC website.

I don't know when the last addition to the website was made, but I'm fairly sure it's been in curation for many years. It seems like he got to about 80% completion. Does anyone know if KenS ever complete the work? Did it run well? Was he happy with it? Or did he, like Quinntopia, tear up his masterpiece and start again?

I first was told about Sumida Crossing, by Inobu, on one of my first visits to JNS. I've been looking at it on and off, for so long that I can't tell if I'm starting to 'adopt' (steal?) his ideas or whether we all just basically like the same cool N-scale stuff. But I can't help noticing that KenS has a fully completed bingo sheet on cool layout stuff. Multiple trains, trams, bus line?, rivers, bridges, helix, hidden storage, subway line, automation, block detection......and on .......and on......

Does anyone know if KenS was ever satisfied with his creation?

• Like 2

Gavin,

last i I chatted with Ken after he was not around much on JNS he was busy with other projects. I think like everyone life can push in different directions with the spectrum of things. He was always changing the layout some and not one to let himself get too stuck. Happiness with a layout is a personal thing and also a temporal one! 

ill drop him a note as it’s been quite a while since I’ve heard from him.

jeff

• Like 3

So I did reach out to ken and he has scrapped sumada crossings, but still does plan a sumada2 as noted in his site, most likely next year. He’s been doing a bunch of different hobby projects so been busy on other things but planning on coming back to them. He drops in and reads JNS now ans the and will probably be more active once he gets back into the trains more. So great to hear he is hale and healthy and just (like many of us) busy with other prohects, hobbies and life.

cheers

jeff

• Like 3

Its good to hear that he's doing well.

I just cannot fathom how he is able to do so much and document it in detail as well.

I can just barely complete a project, more so write about it.............. In detail and grammatically correct might I add. lol 

Inobu 

• Like 2

Yes ken is amazing at documenting what he does and it’s also usually thought thru well and good quality but not insane over the top stuff so it’s valuable to most all of us. Many times things that get written up that are craftsmen level, not the average level. While great to see how the ultimate is done and ascribe to get there, it’s also daunting for most and can be a turn off of I can’t do any of that when most of it most of us can!

i look forward to him getting back into the hobby more next year hopefully!

jeff

• Like 1

Wow, this topic is just amazing! All of his work is so inspirational! It almost makes me want post my own little project, though I would be embarrassed about how slow my layout is going... :violent1:

Wish I could have been on this site back when Ken was active, all the questions I would have asked...:sad7:

Phil,

Hey we would love to see the progress on the layout no matter what speed. There is no right speed, you just do what you can! Its always great to see what others are doing, gives ideas, inspiration and just seeing others get down and do it!

Ken will be back i expect when his next layout gets going, sounded like things were going to fall in place this year to move forward some.

cheers

jeff

I want to thank folks for the kind words said in my absence.  It's very gratifying to know that my website has been helpful.

I want to close off this thread, by noting that the original Sumida Crossing has been retired.  Too many little problems added up to a lack of motivation to complete it.  But it was a lot of fun while I had it, and I learned a lot in the process (and wrote about most of it).  Unfortunately, while sectional, it was a bit too fragile to hold up well in a recent move, and that spelled its end.  I'd been considering re-assembling it while I work on its successor, but that would be more work than its worth.  I'll salvage the buildings, electronics and some of the structure (and I may re-use some or all of the backdrops, although I've new ideas I want to try there).  But its time is past.

I've started a Planning Sumida Crossing 2.0 thread, and any comments on the successor layout should be directed there.

Thanks again,

Ken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Ken, I'm so glad you've returned to the forum. You don't know me, but I've been using Sumida Crossing like an encyclopedia for a long time now. Inobu shared a link with me once, and I've been using it ever since. I'm very much looking forward to following your progress with Sumida 2. 

Edited by gavino200
  • Thanks 1

Ken,

great to see you back dude! Also nice to hear son of sumida crossing is coming! Looking forward to having you back around the forum! You site is still the gold standard in reference sites for hobby! Just referenced it the other day! It’s rare anyone takes the time to document stuff somwell for others as you have done! Really is wonderful, thank you!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

Welcome back to the fold Ken, like others have said I have really enjoyed your website and it has really helped me with learning how to research the prototype even more, especially when it comes to JRF. Probably the most important thing I have learnt from your site is to share the information I have come across, as every piece of information helps build a vast pool of knowledge for modellers to share and to use.

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Ken,

great to see you back dude! Also nice to hear son of sumida crossing is coming! Looking forward to having you back around the forum! You site is still the gold standard in reference sites for hobby! Just referenced it the other day! It’s rare anyone takes the time to document stuff somwell for others as you have done! Really is wonderful, thank you!

cheers

jeff

100% agreed on this.  I am impressed with how often a Google search on a topic sends me to Sumida Crossing.

• Like 3