Building a tram layout

IST

The beginning will be a little boring, but I'd like to share some information with you, sorry:

I read about Kato Unitram system only in the beginning of December in the newsletter of Plaza Japan. Until that time I have never imagined to buy a Japanese model train, I collects British N-gauge items. I have some Japanese PC and PSP software and play with those but have no particular interest about Japanese trains, I have never been in Japan also. But the Unitram system grabbed my attention: it looked a well invented system in good quality, and small enough size to use it at home also. I have some Unitrack set which I very like and the connectivity with Unitram also made a boost. So I was thinking and thinking, google about it, wathced videos, compared its price to my Hungarian salary and made a decision in one week: I need Unitram, so I ordered it with some items from Plaza Japan, the source of my Unitrack sets.

I write above collect, as I have never build a layout, just plan a lot, so I became an arm-chair modeller in the years. This hobby is quite new for me, dated about 4 years ago, so since that time I read the British Model Rail magazine, member of the N Gauge Society (including the World Wide Group also), and sometimes run my train sets. While I was waiting for the Unitram box, I started to plan that I will make a small Japanese layout. Not in the shape of the base set oval, but something longer with more straigth sections. I know this will be in the future as currently straight sections has not been available separetely, but the thinking started.

As I mentioned before, I have never build a layout, so my experience in such a tiny things like putting on stickers on a building is soooo small, I would like to write about my first and small steps in this new area, show my shopping of buildings, ask advices how can I insert something, etc. And of course put a lot of pictures here, to show you the progress.

It won't be a fast improvement (and if I check my wallet, it will be never to fast), but maybe it can interest you to see a beginner first steps.

Now, let me show you some of the first photos:

02_unitram_box_inside.jpg: This is how it looks like the Unitram set inside the box.

05_building_the_baseboard.jpg: The construction of the baseboards quite easy, there are some connecting item which should only plug into the side of the baseboards and push another baseboard to it. So a small kid can also build the track easily, which I highly preferred.

06_looking_under_the_base.jpg: I upside-down one base to show you how it looks like. System is simple, baseboard can separated easily from the track. You can see the typical Unitrack joining unit at the side of the baseboards also.

11_first_running.jpg: I was impressed of the quality of the tram. I like its shape, its speed, however it can be a little bit quieter, but my British locos louder. I like the interior lighting, but it was weird that it 'turned on' a little bit late, when tram has already run. As the Unitram set came with Japanese Power Pack controller, I had to buy a converter as I use it with 230V, not 110V. It was only about 10 EUR, so not a big deal, compared to the whole set. And I like the Japanese character on it.  :cheesy

13_after_one_evening.jpg: This is a picture with the whole oval set on which there are the canopies. I was surprised when I saw them in the box, because I had to bring out my modeller knife to release the parts from its holder. So from this point it needs a bigger kid.

14_i_started_to_build_a_stop.jpg: On the first evening with this set, I started to build a tram stop also, I was very curious how many parts do I need to complete it. It was a big deal to build it, as I did not understand completely the pictures of the instruction, so I made it in wrong order. First I put the barriers onto the base, because it was so easy to do this: I had to just plug it. But it was a bad idea, I had to pull out from the precut holes and inserted a yellow stripe to the base of the tram stop. After it, I put back the barriers. Another one minute later, I pull out again, because I had to stick a blue-white sign and one of the barrier was in my way. Pffff.

15_tiny_sticker.jpg: Do you see the red sticker? It is so tiny, so I had to cut out watchfully. And I had some problem with them because of the lack of my experience. I imagined that I have to cut out the whole sticker with the backpaper and after it I separete them and stick it. Which was a bad idea again. I had to tell you that I was shocked that stickers were not precutted, so it was a hard issue to find the right technique how to handle these stickers. The result can be better, but I can approve it. Do you know what was my biggest problem: this tiny sticker which you see on the picture fell down to the floor. OK, I found it, it was easy, but after it I did not know which direction had to apply it as I am not familiar with the Japanese characters and the sticker was so tiny that without a magnifiying glass, I did not see clearly the characters on it and there was no such an item next to me. So I grabbed my camera and made a photo and looked the picture. I hope I applied it (and the others) well. It was a funny situation.

16_tramstop.jpg: At the end of the evening I finished one of the two tramstops.

More pictures will be in a few days if you would like to read my stories (and did not give up reading because of my poor English  :cheesy)

post-248-1356992368684_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923687363_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923687829_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923688268_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923688729_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923689092_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923689502_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923689896_thumb.jpg

Great photos, your English is fine (better than mine and I'm an American) and I loved your story.

They're are a lot of other members here that have this set or are interested in purchasing it in the future.  :icon_thumright:

Welcome to JNS!  I got to say, once you been bitten by the Kato or Tomix, you will just want to buy more and more  :laugh:

I tend to my set everyday.  I think if Kato continues to develop its Unitram brand, I think I will switch to trams from trains.

Thanks for the kind words, I will continue the review of my project shortly.

I am really impressed of the quality of Kato's tram. OK, I have already known Unitrack from Kato, but none of its model trains. Now it is hard to resist to buy a Yamanote line train (as I played a lot with a Yamanote train simulator on PSP) or a Shinkansen...  :grin

Do you have any regular Unitrack? In the advertising it shows the Unitram and Unitrack are easy enough to connect, but are both sides level. What I mean is after connecting them together, is the bottom of the Unitram track and the bottom of the Unitrack at the same level. I found this out with the plate track system that it is actually raised higher (since it's just regular track attached to a plate), resulting in an incline where the two are joined.

Hmm, I planned to show this picture a few days later, but if you are talking about it...

Do you have any Kato 8" curve track (20-170)? That would give you more then enough space to have a return loop on both ends.

Do you have any Kato 8" curve track (20-170)? That would give you more then enough space to have a return loop on both ends.

Yes, I have, those are on the right side of the picture.

IST....Great photos!  Thanks for taking the time to share your photos of this!  All I have to say is WOW! I agree with BC6 that your photo of the tram running on the Unitrack is a real tempting one!

Do you see the red sticker? It is so tiny, so I had to cut out watchfully.

Yeah....its amazing how tiny the stickers come from Kato and Tomix!  :-)  A really sharp pair of tweezers is the only hope for me with these things! :-)

Now, back to the beginnings with 8 more pictures:

10_sizes.jpg:

After the using of the majority of stickers and building all of two tramstops, I made this photo. There is a ruler, so you can see the size of stops and tram as well. I do not know what the meaning is some of the stickers, but tried to place in a good position. After this I thought it would be easy to place it on the baseboard...

11_paravan.jpg:

Quick picture with the background which can be found in the Unitram box. It is 2 foldable paper with city landscape on it, while the inside contains a lot of photos about different Kato buildings with other information. It is useful to wake up the buying instict and good for dreaming about a complete layout also. But if you have no houses or other buildings this solution is acceptable I think.

12_its_not_the_right_place.jpg:

After I completed the two stops, I tried to place it on the straight baseboard. I did fail. There are some overhang something on the base of the stop, so I had to try another solution. The construction guide helped me, however it is in Japanese, but contains some drawing which was very handy at this situation.

13_take_apart.jpg:

If you turn upside-down the straight base, you can see some srcew on it. There were 2 on the side of the base, next to the track, so I unscrew those. You can see on the picture that one part of the base can be lifted and the stop can be changed with it. But in the middle of the baseboard, there was a small thing which also hold this thin part on its place and I were afraid, that I will brake it, because it was hold strongly. So I had to use a screwdriver and with the help of it I can lifted this thin plastic. But I sweated a lot.

14_one_stop.jpg:

But I completed this submission without any braking. As you see, the tram stop overhang the straight section. I was a little bit curious that this will obstruct tram traffic in the next section which has a curve, but there were no problem with it.

15_two_stops.jpg:

With the experience of the placing the first stop, I was professional at the second.  :grin So I could easily place it and make a photo with the tram. I did not release the pantograph as I know I had to put away the set for a while because of Christmas.

16_running.jpg:

A photo for those who would like to see the tram in motion, that is why the background blurred. I tried to follow the tram with my camera, I hope the result is acceptable.

17_fences.jpg:

After it I had a lot of work with the fences and street lamps. I cut off all from the holders and I realized that there were plus pieces in the pack, so did not have to use all. Because of there are precut holes on the baseboards, the place of them is simple. The only thing which I had to pay attention is that the plastic of these are thin and I had to push quite hadly the fence to the holes which caused a little deformation once.

What do you think about this all-brown lamps and fences? Should I paint them somehow, or I can leave in this form?

post-248-13569923727345_thumb.jpg

post-248-1356992372769_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923728025_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923728507_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923728807_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923729146_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923729537_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923729925_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the presentation on this Kato Unitram set :grin. I am tempted to buy one of these myself and I would like to incorporate it into my existing 6x4 layout that I am building as it would make a great impression to my commercial downtown district but also I want to add a train yard and sadly I don't have the space for both ???. But then I could always build a tram layout seperately :cheesy.

Mmmm... I spy with my eye a v11 unitrack box.

My first Unitrack set was that V11 and I was impressed, so I bought a V7 plus two V4s also and some other tracks.

Do you remember my picture about the current track? If no, I attached it again.

One of my friend asked me why not put a switch to the end of the two tracks. I should rotate that baseboard with 90 degree so I would have space to connect a turnout. I was curious if I can do that, the distance is good enough to attach the turnout to the Unitram system. In this evening, I made a try without the rotating, please see the picture.

As you see, the direct connection is not applicable, as the #4 turnout has more distance between the two tracks. If I know well, the #6 turnout has bigger radius, so it would be worst.

It's a pity, because it would be great to build a loop from the Unitram set with the turnout in the one end wherewith I can avoid the closure.

post-248-13569923746013_thumb.jpg

post-248-13569923746616_thumb.jpg

Mudkip Orange

It's a pity, because it would be great to build a loop from the Unitram set with the turnout in the one end wherewith I can avoid the closure.

The 45-degree joints match the standard Kato spacing.

I.E. look at your square unitram layout. See how there's four diagonal borders where the tracks get farther apart to go around the curve? That joint, where the tracks are farther apart, matches the #4 turnout (and everything else that's based on Kato's 33mm spacing).

While we are on the subject of trams, I would like Kato or Dapol to produce the English Electric trams that operate in Blackpool such as the Balloon Trams and those single deck type trams and they would look great on the Kato Tram track set if they were modelled properly as well as have interior lights :grin.

(Oh well I guess I can dream on)