Your Christmas Haul

Mudkip Orange

Martijn Meerts

Not under the tree, but my PG OO Raiser Gundam arrived just in time, and I also got a note today that my reserved Odakyu 50000 VSE is in stock :)

Mudkip Orange

No J-trains, but I got the European edition of Ticket to Ride (a board game) from my younger brother. This is actually one of my girl's favorite games, so she's pretty excited as the Euro version is more complex then the American version which has been a mainstay at geeky Mudkip Orange gaming parties for some time now.

post-161-13569923618123_thumb.jpg

Well Ive been so smitten with the Series E531 I decided to purchase the add on 4 car set as well as the 2 car add on set. I currently have the 4 car basic set and Im thinking hard about getting a lighting set for all of the cars.

Kodansha International Tokyo City Atlas (Bilingual)

Kodansha International Japan Atlas (Bilingual)

Tomytec Pagoda

Eishindo Ticket Puncher (and tickets)

Modemo NT106 Toden 7000 tram

The Modemo tram was supposed to be a post-Christmas reservation, but it arrived two months early so I wrapped it.  Looks like I'll be getting the credit card bill for Christmas too.  :laugh:

I'm relaxed and happy.

Only half as many Kato Koki 106, but I got a case and something to pull it with. As you can see I've already attached the brake handles - do all the cars have the rear lights/reflectors, or only those placed on the last car?

post-219-13569923619249_thumb.jpg

And a Kato 787 Relay, some odd small tools for modelling, and prior to Christmas I got my E231 and E531 Joban sets completed (or completed as 10 car sets, I don't have the independent 5 car set for either, which meant using up two slots in my spare book case for the E531 set)

post-219-13569923619923_thumb.jpg

My dad unfortunately ordered late, and now my N700 and super view oridoko with V11 track set are held up in customs.

BTW, does any body know how long customs will keep my package of things above?

My dad unfortunately ordered late, and now my N700 and super view oridoko with V11 track set are held up in customs.

BTW, does any body know how long customs will keep my package of things above?

Depends on the country, the declaration, how busy they are - I've had packages go through customs instantly (tracking showing it going in and out of customs in literally the time it takes to slide a package across a desk and scan it a second time), and I've had seamingly identical packages takes days. For me (Canada) it's usually 1 business day before it gets released.

Well Ive been so smitten with the Series E531 I decided to purchase the add on 4 car set as well as the 2 car add on set. I currently have the 4 car basic set and Im thinking hard about getting a lighting set for all of the cars.

To help you with the lighting, here is my E531 (or as it was before I just got the A expansion set, I already have the basic and B set) with lighting installed (my camera can't really pick out the lighting in still photos unless the lights are off, which gives you just a bunch of lighted windows in the dark).

You need to keep the wheels clean otherwise it starts to flicker (the double decker cars can be difficult to get right because the copper rail is bent to match the inside of the car, so you can't just put a bend in to make it stiff against the pickup on the trucks). The double decker cars also come with the prism piece pre-installed (it's specially shaped, again to match the car), however as you can see in the video it doesn't do as good a job (there is a space between the upper seats to let light into the lower level, but I think some work would need to be down, maybe putting the left over reflecting tape on the floor). Also, be careful since you've already installed the little details - I broke off the details of one of my cab cars while installing the lights.

Hey David thanks a million for posting your video, your E531 looks great. It's funnie Ive been looking for some tips on installing the light kit from kato and you came through in a pinch

I also got a note today that my reserved Odakyu 50000 VSE is in stock :)

Marti - Where did you pre-order from? I ordered from Hobby World and haven't received a notice as of yet.

CaptOblivious

Only half as many Kato Koki 106, but I got a case and something to pull it with. As you can see I've already attached the brake handles - do all the cars have the rear lights/reflectors, or only those placed on the last car?

Nice. The reflectors just go on the last car. If you wanna be really detailed, paint the rim silver :)

CaptOblivious

I got too much to list here, an embarassment of gifts! No trains, Japanese or otherwise, but plenty of books on North American trains. The centerpiece was a new soldering iron, an Aoyue 2900. Very nice.

Marti - Where did you pre-order from? I ordered from Hobby World and haven't received a notice as of yet.

Hobby Search probably.  Bernard you should get yours about the middle of January.  Marti's will ship without HS contacting him.  But you Bernard, still have to pay and HWJ is only open on Monday and closed until January 6.  HWJ items usually arrive here about 2 weeks after HS announces the new item arrival.

I recently pre-ordered some trams, one from HS and one from HWJ and closely watched the performance. HWJ is slow even once they have your money.  It also is partly because of their location.  Their parcels are slow to get going.  HS on the other hand is much faster, not too far from Narita, but you pay a bit more.  

Bernard, hope you have some time in mid-January to play with your new toy.   :grin Too bad it won't arrive over the holidays!!

Martijn Meerts

I preordered at hobby search, got a mail today that it shipped :)

Hobby Search probably.  Bernard you should get yours about the middle of January.  Marti's will ship without HS contacting him.  But you Bernard, still have to pay and HWJ is only open on Monday and closed until January 6.  HWJ items usually arrive here about 2 weeks after HS announces the new item arrival.

I recently pre-ordered some trams, one from HS and one from HWJ and closely watched the performance. HWJ is slow even once they have your money.  It also is partly because of their location.  Their parcels are slow to get going.  HS on the other hand is much faster, not too far from Narita, but you pay a bit more.  

Bernard, hope you have some time in mid-January to play with your new toy.   :grin Too bad it won't arrive over the holidays!!

Bill - Thanks for all the info., now I have a better idea when I'll have to pay for it and when it will get shipped. I've waited for over a year for Tomix to re-release this model, I can wait a little longer.  :grin

Nothing rail-related for me, but I gave the kid a 7-car Kato 500 set. Unfortunately it has already stopped working, but that seems to be normal in this house. The power car is getting power and the motor is running, but it's not going anywhere. I took the car body off, but balked at uncovering the motor until I find out how to do it right.

Nothing rail-related for me, but I gave the kid a 7-car Kato 500 set. Unfortunately it has already stopped working, but that seems to be normal in this house. The power car is getting power and the motor is running, but it's not going anywhere. I took the car body off, but balked at uncovering the motor until I find out how to do it right.

Scott - Here is a link to the 500 taken apart for a decoder install. It's not that hard but you do have to take off the bottom plate.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,155.0.html

I know this is a bit late, but I'm only getting to posting now

Its a funny story, but it seems  I talk about trains in my sleep, and my wife takes notes!  so this year, I had a complete suprise, seems I was talking about the Rheingold, so the wonderful woman got me a minitrix E103.1 and a set of 5 Rhinegold passenger cars.  In more Japanese related things, I also scored a Kato long engine house and a 6 story highrise whichis great!

As I seem to love all railways, I'm just going to allow myself to be totally inspired by Quinntopia (which I think is one of the neatest and most fun looking layouts on the net)  and run whatever I like, although I think there is a lot of Japanese N in my future!

Graham

Scott - Here is a link to the 500 taken apart for a decoder install. It's not that hard but you do have to take off the bottom plate.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,155.0.html

Thanks, Bernard! That's great--I'll see if I can get this thing going again....

Two nice HO electric locos :) the EF64 in JRF is very rare almost as the real loco was,,,i am imformed EF64-1015 was the only loco in this scheme, Lew

post-214-13569923681419_thumb.jpg

post-214-1356992368166_thumb.jpg