What DCC system are you using?

Bernard

There are so many different systems now out there and I was curious what systems members are using. I'm using the Lenz 100 and am very happy with it. It's easy to understand and easy to program.

What I am finding out though is that in the USA it is not as popular as other systems. So one of the drawbacks is, for example, it is easier to find Digitrax decoders than it is to find lenz decoders (or other lenz accessories for that matter.)

Martijn Meerts

I have a Lenz 100 set as well, with a LI-USB interface and some other small stuff. Works great ;)

I've also got a Littfinski Light @ Night interface and 1 light board. Still need to experiment with this, but it looks interesting.

Other than that, I'm planning on buying a Viessmann Commander. It's a digital central with a good sized color touchscreen that can display track plans etc. It can control trains, routes, shadow stations, and much much more, it can also program decoders etc. The reason I'm considering buying this is so I can have semi-static layouts with all the controls a computer would give me, but without needing a computer.

CaptOblivious

Digitrax here, for reasons you cite: easy to get in the US, and as others have also found out, good warranty service in the US. I've got a Zephyr, cheap but full of features. I love it. Once I scrape the money together for the expensive parts—oh, and a layout to run trains on—, I'll give controlling the system via my MacBook a shot, with an eye to total automation. We'll see.

Martijn Meerts

You'll have to write your own software then, there's nothing really decent out yet for OSX unfortunately :/

I have an NCE power cab. It hasn't yet been installed, because my layout is so tiny I'm having difficulty in figuring out where to put the tiny connections.  I think I will have to custom-craft a nice panel cover, because the lovely anodized aluminum one is just too large (because 10cm by 5 cm is HUGE).

I selected it over the Digitrax Zephyr because it takes up less space, has a larger, more readable LCD display and (in my opinion) is much more aesthetically pleasing.

I may eventually install a USB interface, but that's assuming I don't screw up my decoder installations!

I'm still trying to decide how to control my turnouts -- DC, DCC or old fashioned manual, because my layout is the size of a couple of pizza boxes (assuming large pizzas).

I too have a Digitrax Zephyr. The programming track feature did not work at first. The unit was returned to Digitrax who fixed it. I also have a Digitrax DS64 for controlling my Unitrack switches and a LocoBuffer USB  box to connect it all to my laptop. And I don't even have the track setup permanently yet!

I have three Digitrax decoders and one MRC decoder. LIttle did I know when I purchased the MRC decoder that the values can only be written & not read back.

I use the JRMI software for programming the decoders.

alpineaustralia

I have a Bachmann Dynamis system. I got into these trains after a trip to Japan earlier this year with my 4 year old boy. He absolutely fell in love with the shinkansen and so I decided to build a small layout with him as a way of bonding with him. I bought the Dynamis because it is really easy to use, has an LCD screen (ie a poor man's ESU system) and alphanumeric addressingl. My boy can turn it on and, using a joystick, select each train by reference to its name eg: E1 Max, E4 Max, TGV, 300 series, 500 series, etc and throttle up.  It is an infrared remote control and so you can move around with it (although the infrared is unpredictable).

It is 14volts with 2.3 amps with the ability to link to a booster but realistically I dont think I will run more than 4 trains on it at any time and so I am not sure that will neccesarily be a purchase I will make.

N scale and DCC is almost non existent in Oz. I have had to surf the net and find and import myself every peice that I have. I have literally not bought one item in a store in Australia either because it isnt here or double the price of getting it direct. Because I get everything directly from overseas, it actually forces me to look at all options from around the world subject to the value of the Pacific Peso (the Australian dollar).

NCE Power Cab...

Still learning it though, I have the USB interface for it and will try JMRI software a little further down the track.

Cheers,

Bob

serenityFan

I have a hornby select, legacy from the days when I thought I would be doing british OO.

Not recommended unless you find one really cheap :grin

It has compatibility problem with some decoders, haven't looked into this for quite some time, but I think last time I checked lenz decoders and of course hornby decoders will work fine.

I have the Bachman Dynamis, i love it, althoug the infrared remote/receiver is not the best, but if you keep in mind that you always have to face the receiver it works great, in my mind.

domino

brian

Trix Mobile Station, although I find it problematic to program with.  I have an old PC that USE with a Sprog II for programming.

The nice thing about the Mobile Station is that the command station has two ports for controllers, so both my son and I can run trains at the same time.  The down side is that I think I'll soon be pushing the capacity of the Mobile Station system to its limits with 3 running lines, 18 locomotives or train sets, and multiple yard tracks.  My upgrade plan is to wait for the 'next generation'...hopefully once the economy recovers we'll see some much needed innovation in this area.  Otherwise, if Roco/Fleischmann ever release it, the new MultiMaus pro systemhttp://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4339 looks like a neat option, or maybe the EsU Ecos or the Viessman Commander.  We'll see!

I have a Digitrax Zephyr along with an UT4, a PR4,a BDL64 and some DS64 turnout decoders. Also i have some Team Digital Turnout decoder. Mobile Decoders are from Digitrax and TCS. I always had full layout automation in my mind and Digitrax Loconet seems a good solution for it. Many large layouts and module groups use it.There are also many third party suppliers and the Loconet seems to be well thought technically. Although the Digitrax devices look really ugly i don't mind as there are functional, reliable and very cost effective. Also with Digitrax i have a upgrade path without losing anything. At the time i use JMRI for decoder Programming, but i don't like JMRI layout control so i might use Traincontroller at the end.

Trix Mobile Station, although I find it problematic to program with.  I have an old PC that USE with a Sprog II for programming.

I've seen some screenshots of the programming interface of the Sprog II, and it seems more friendly (The Trix MS programming interface is absolutely non-friendly).

Is the use of Sprog II as easy as they say?

Programming with the Trix MS is a long effort... But it works.

Did you use the command interface?

And, have you programmed Kato decoder (FL12, EM13)?

Thanks.

Is the use of Sprog II as easy as they say?

Programming with the Trix MS is a long effort... But it works.

Did you use the command interface?

And, have you programmed Kato decoder (FL12, EM13)?

I like it a lot. I only use it for basic address changes so far.  Not enough time to fully understand what can be done with 'speed curves' or momentum settings!  But it is very easy.  The JMRI DecoderPro interface isn't as easy as it could be, but that's a minor complaint.

One problem is that it doesn't seem like you have full capabilties to change programming with Selectrix/DCC dual mode decoders...the options seem very limited.  I would be concerned if you had a lot of these decoders to program.  Maybe its fine,  but I just haven't looked into it enough.

I have had no problems with Digitrax or Lenz decoders (as long as they were good decoders...I had to return a DZ125IN twice, but finally got a good one on the third try!  Nice service from Digitrax on that BTW) and had no problem programming my DF200 with a digitrax decoder.

Thanks for the information.

Now that we have a retailler and a french translation of the interface, many peoples in France begins to talk about it.

For 60€, I think it could be a good start for connect a PC with a little layout.