Tokyo experience ?? PLEASE tell me where to shop for trains

Nozomi

Credit card payments in Japan can be processed in one payment, or split of a number of months, so they were asking you that. Just hold up 1 finger to indicate that you wish to make the payment as a single transaction.

I bought things with my visa card in japan that still never were processed from two years ago.

J-only books and mags (as you know, shipping for these is expensive because they are so heavy).  Even general bookstores like Kinokuniya will have a big hobby section that includes MR.

I just buy from Kinokuniya in NYC and not have to worry about the import shipping cots.

LOL I am a little late to the party that is this thread.. But.. When I bought stuff there using my credit card, they asked me a few options. I was using a plain jane Mastercard. There were something like 2 or 3 you can choose from. I have NO CLUE what each option was. Probably one was credit, one was debit, and one was something else. In any case, I was standing there like an idiot, and the guy couldn't really explain to me what each option was as my Japanese is quite limited. In any case, I was like f-it, and told them option 1. The worst that can happen is it gets declined. Well, it worked. At a few stores (Tam Tam in Akiba was one of them). So.. Choose option 1!  :grin

I ran in to this as well. The system in Japan is set up to take VISA as both credit and debut like here in the USA. You can pay with your Visa card and use your PIN on the debit side. I did it once in Japan, but I wont do it again becasue my bank chompered my ass with the bank fee for using a foriegn debit system. It was like a foreign ATM fee, but REALLY foreign, so the fee from Comstar was like 15 instead of the usual 2.

I did all my train shopping in Yokohama.  Get off at Sakuragicho station, walk twoards the Landmark tower.  Part of it is known as the "Landmark Plaza", on the 5th floor, there is a model train store (KTM: http://www.ktm-models.co.jp/)

Enjoy

Hi fellow Canucks,

I am always curious about other hobby stores in Tokyo's surrounding areas. How much discount do you get for your trains in the KTM shop?  TamTam is 30% off the regular price while 鉄道模型 in Akiba is 35% off by cash?

Just a quick update about credit card surcharges in hobby stores in Tokyo/Yokohama. During my recent trip to Japan I used my card without any additional fees:

Yodobashi (Akihabara)

Popondetta (Akihabara)

Pochi (Akihabara and Nihombashi)

Hobby Center Kato Tokyo

Tokyu Hands  (Shibuya)

Tobu Department Store (Ikebukuro)

Models IMON (Akihabara and Yokohama)

SubwayHypes

hey i am in tokyo right now, and have checked out a bunch of stores.  the best so far as been TAM TAM by far....

for example....at the Kato showroom they charge MSRP, and say a certain 8 car set has an MSRP of 22,000 yen.

at regular hobby shops  like tokyu hands or ABC,  that train might be discounted to around 20,000 yen flat.

but at TAM TAM i found the train for 17,000 yen....plus they got a point card.

For buildings, the new skyscrapers have an MSRP of 3,900 yen.  at TAM TAM they are 3200.

ive only  been here 5 days and already spent more than a thousand dollars lol...luckily my grandma has hundreds of dollars in stamps and boxes so im sending all my packages home instead of taking in my luggage.

STAY TUNED...WHEN I GET BACK I HAVE HUNDREDS OF PICTURES OF MY TRIP.

AND DEFINATELY GO TO THE KATO SHOWROOM>  they have a discount table where i found a 7 car Yokosuka for 100 dollars, and got  a5 car Joban for 80 dollars.  THen they let you run the trains on their big layout!!  talk about a blast......

CaptOblivious

Sorry to derail the topic slightly, but welcome back Subway! We missed ya. Hope you're enjoying Tokyo!

SubwayHypes

^thanks

yea the preowned section at the kato HQ is awesome.  i picked up expansion sets to my 217, 531, and 231, so now i have two of each.  they also have replacement parts for EVERYTHING...so you can buy that extra motor for your favorite train, or switch out the decals, etc.  when i mean everything i mean EVERYTHING.

theres also a cool little shop called Little Japan in Yutenji right near this curry/train restuarant.  no serious price breaks but a nice hole in the wall you can drop some money at.

this is their layout

JAPAN2010154.jpg

JAPAN2010155.jpg

Thanks for updating Subway.  I always wanted to visit a train themed food joint.

I just might persuade my friend to visit Japan with me in Feb 2011, along with Taiwan.