Track Planning

cteno4

The out of print Kato 25-012 Kato Collection of Layout Plans has lots of interesting plans for smaller layouts.

A couple of the plans are on the Kato uk site. Any ideas on how to get a copy or other terms to search with (ISBN?)

Can't see an ISBN number and none of the online dealers seem to have it. I got mine a year or so ago at a local hobby shop that has a lot of Japanese stuff but they only had one copy.

The out of print Kato 25-012 Kato Collection of Layout Plans has lots of interesting plans for smaller layouts.

A couple of the plans are on the Kato uk site. Any ideas on how to get a copy or other terms to search with (ISBN?)

Can't see an ISBN number and none of the online dealers seem to have it. I got mine a year or so ago at a local hobby shop that has a lot of Japanese stuff but they only had one copy.

There is supposed to be a section with track plans for Kato's double track plate system - if you have the book handy could you tell me how many pages or plans are in that section?

That could be really awesome. Seriously, I'd pay to see something like that (if it was well done). I imagine when I have space for a real layout that I would aim for something like that so I could fit a full-length station. Just at home, not an airport :P

I really tried to do something like this, but we just wouldn't have room without emptying out the basement. Plus I bowed to the necessity of having loops when you have a kid. But eventually...

And yeah--a full-length station would be great.

There is supposed to be a section with track plans for Kato's double track plate system - if you have the book handy could you tell me how many pages or plans are in that section?

Just about to head off to work, but a rough count shows 14 pages with 6 plans, though one of those is just a basic oval.

Sector plates annoy the !@#$% out of me. I have trains that can turn around in 486mm, no need to just run them back and forth, back and forth.

True, they are a pain, but it's a must when you don't have trains that can make such turns (like I do) and want to operate in a realistic way. For me it's not interesting to watch trains chasing their tail, but to have them interact. In the end it's of course also possible to plan a layout way ahead to later connect it to a run-around loop, like you see with large-scale (O, 1, etc.) on exhibitions. It's all according to taste.

A track plan I thought of during class. Inspired by a plan I saw a few years ago in a booklet. Probably quite similar, but adapted for the use of TOMIX FineTrack. Maybe a good idea for me to work with, as the length of the trip is long, a time-tabled plan is possible due to point-to-point operation, enough switching-action, several settings possible, etc. etc. I'm a genius. :cool:

Also note that during one trip the train stops at at least 4 stations, which are in fact only 2. Of course fiddling with the tracks is possible and a more neat alignment will be needed in the curves. For that purpose the new 18mm and 33mm pieces are available :laugh: More passing loops could be added as well, but that could make the layout look clogged.

Curves are 280mm, 317mm and 541mm. Maximum train length should be about a 3/4-car MU, a 3-car hauled train or a 7/8-car hauled freight train.

Made in RailModeller. An unregistered version, as I'd like to try the program for now. Taking screenshots are a great solution for this barrier. :3

post-224-13569923607997_thumb.png

I came across an interesting track plan in the Kato book yesterday.  Its half a figure eight with two sets of stub tracks at the other end.  The upper set has three stub tracks and the lower set two stub tracks. The track crossing is a bridge. It would work for those with limited space.

Mudkip Orange

Maximum train length should be about a 3/4-car MU, a 3-car hauled train or a 7/8-car hauled freight train.

...but no continuous running! WHat is this, an AMerican-prototype layout?

...but no continuous running! WHat is this, an AMerican-prototype layout?

It's based on a German layout I saw once in a book about small layouts. I think it was published by Alba Verlag (Alba Publishing) in the early nineties. Maybe I have it at home, maybe I once rented it from the city library, I don't remember quite well. I'll take a look at it when I'm home, as there are dozens more great ideas in that book, including the setting of a mainline crossing and terminus station on a double-tracked compressed-eight-shaped layout. Might be really interesting for those modelling urban landscapes :cool:

Also, take a look at small UK-based layouts. Those are mostly end-to-end operated.

It's based on a German layout I saw once in a book about small layouts. I think it was published by Alba Verlag (Alba Publishing) in the early nineties.

It looks very much like a layout in the book "Modellbahn gleispläne" published by Alba Verlag (first edition 1981 and current 12 edition 2008). I don't think there is an english translation of that book. But the title for the track plan is "Schnell gebaut fur langen Spielspass" ("Quickly built for long gameplay").

/Magnus M

It looks very much like a layout in the book "Modellbahn gleispläne" published by Alba Verlag (first edition 1981 and current 12 edition 2008). I don't think there is an english translation of that book. But the title for the track plan is "Schnell gebaut fur langen Spielspass" ("Quickly built for long gameplay").

Yes, that's probably the one. It was also translated into Dutch. I thought I owned that one, but appearantly it was rented from the local library all too often. Maybe it's available at the local model train store here, as I'm going there today to buy a shitload of fireworks (a bit of a strange place to buy firecrackers, no?).

Mudkip Orange

12" radius, Peco mediums (and larger), 4x8 cut down to 3' so you can reach across it:

FgiUo.png

This is basically the "granite gorge and northern" but with all the industrial stuff deleted in favor of Kansai-style passenger operations.

Muddy - I like your designs....one question on the Kansai layout the tunnel underpass is 1'.5" to the center for access?

Mudkip,

I'm not sure about the grades you've got planned but it looks like a pretty steep climb east for the track going under the bridge at the top left corner of the first image in order to make it to those points.

Cheers,

The_Ghan

Mudkip Orange
Muddy - I like your designs....one question on the Kansai layout the tunnel underpass is 1'.5" to the center for access?

Not quite sure about the question. If you're asking "how do I access the long tunnel," well... I'd just lay the entire thing with rerailer tracks, end to end.

it looks like a pretty steep climb east for the track going under the bridge at the top left corner of the first image in order to make it to those points.
There is 48" inches of track length between the two bridges, which is enough for a 4% grade assuming 2" clearance. The dead-end spur that runs off the left side of the board is steeper, since the track has to descend with the mainline until the end of the switch, then transition back to a steep enough upgrade to clear the mainline at the 2nd level.

That's a nice track plan.

After looking at it a bit, it feels a bit "heavy" on the track.  Have you considered hiding either or both the far left outer track or the left-to-right track immediately below the road circle in tunnels?  That might help it look more "rural".

I am not sure what to think of that plan. There is still a lot of track, and the trains seem to go everywhere but nowhere. This is the typical spaghetti bowl track plan, the favorite plan of the 1950´s and 1960´s.

OK, if you just want to watch trains circle around, not OK, if you want to go into operations or "realistic" scenery. There is one more issue - actual space requirement. If you consider a minimum of 2 ft. aisle along 3 sides of it, the footprint is 6´ by 12´ - that´s a lot of real estate. If you have that much space available, there are certainly better ways to use it.

I don´t mean to be discouraging, but a layout is always quite an investment, which needs to be well considered.

Guest Closed Account 1

The best reverser I have used so far is the Bakatronics AAR3 with the optional Current Detector to add as many intermediate stations as you want. It is not light dependent and the braking feature doesn't seem harsh on my Kato Trams as the Circuitron.

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=753

Basically, the Tram will run between two points. Adding in the Current Detector to an isolated section of track will allow stops inbetween those two points. The isolated ares must be a little longer than the Tram.

In the case of the Kato Unitram Tracks, the Kato Tram stops within one 124mm track because it is about the same length.  Now, when you use a longer piece of track like the Unitram Curves you get a random stop effect because the Tram starts braking the moment it enters the isolated track.

This is what I have done and the Tram looks like it is stopping in between the crosswalks for the pedestrians. It will completely stop at a different point each time so there isn't an absolute predictable point. The sucky part is that since it's DC the Tram lights turn off when stopped.

Extremely labor intensive to convert these to DCC.

another great auto reverser is the minatronics RU-21. it uses optical sensors mounted in the road bed so no need to do any track isolation where you want a tram to stop, just drill a 1/8" hole between the tracks and pop in a $1 sensor between the ties. the ru21 does both auto reversing and gives you 5 stop points as well. it also provides power so no throttle needed. even has a acceleration/deceleration so not hard stops. other little tricks you can do with it as well. you can use it w/o the auto reversing and just have it go on a loop with just stops as well (perfect for unitram loops).

full thread on it is here

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1255.0.html

cheers

jeff

Mudkip Orange

Have you considered hiding either or both the far left outer track or the left-to-right track immediately below the road circle in tunnels?  That might help it look more "rural".

I dislike long tunnels (another staple of the midcentury track planning Madog references), partly because of the operational issues (derailments), partly because there is the question of why you're spending all this money on trains and track only to hide them under some fake grass material.

But if one is to hide tracks on a multi-level "spaghetti bowl" such as this, I think the way to do it is to run them in subway underneath streets, with the streets made of lift-out styrene sections to allow you to access trains. In the plan below the entire roundabout could be a single lift-out piece, with access to both tracks underneath.

post-161-13569929766759_thumb.png