JNS Wiki: updates, questions, requests, etc

qwertyaardvark

qwertyaardvark

Greetings everyone~

I have decided to take up Capt's call to translate some wiki articles on the JNS Wiki, and I was wondering if there is any input yall wanted to put in~ :)  

Right now, just got through my midterms and am free to (attempt to) translate some articles, starting with the JNR Colors and EF65, but there if there are other particular pages that you would like me take a look at, feel free to ask. :cheesy I might not be able to translate entire articles quickly, but I could translate the titles of each section, and narrow down the translation to individual paragraphs that are actually interesting to you.

These translations also extend to articles that already have an English version. I mention this because, during some researching for a layout, i noticed a disparaging difference in content between the Japanese and English Wiki articles. Some rather interesting/important information that was in the Japanese version was outright gone in the English version. I will probably add requested sections into the existing imported JNS wiki articles.

Since Wiki is about real trains, i figure i put this thread here, in prototypes. I'm not sure if its worth a sticky, let alone a platform, but I will bump this thread every once in while with my progress.

Let's see how long I last as a translator... ^^;;

Daniel

(P.S. - Other people also interested in helping, please do join! The more the merrier! ^_^)

CaptOblivious

You are awesome! My japanese is super rusty, and so I'm very slow and not so accurate, but I can help with small things. Anyway thank you!

Ill set up a page on the wiki for coordinating translation efforts. Wiki discussion should p,robably go there.

Also, the wiki is for modelling stuff, too! Right now its almost all prototypes because, frankly, Tomix FineTrack isn't 'notable' on the english wikipedia ;)

Yes, there is a disparity in content volume between the Japanese and English wiki entries. Even some of the non-Japanese prototype-specific sections on general railway technology (for example, bogie design) is far superior in Japanese. This is a reflection of the better educational technical material available to the public in Japan compared with anglophone nations.  Translation of the often heavily technical matter is difficult (it's true many non-railfan Japanese have difficulty understanding what's written in their own language).  Also, the intended audience is quite small vis-a-vis the effort required in translation.  But, selected translation of items of interest to JNS members is good.  I can attempt to help with certain small sections or passages, if needed.

As for a wish list... I'd say please, look up the Joyfull Train wikipage. I find this subject very interesting and google can just (mis)translate a third of it.

qwertyaardvark

As for a wish list... I'd say please, look up the Joyfull Train wikipage. I find this subject very interesting and google can just (mis)translate a third of it.

Request acknowledged~! 

Just to make sure, is this indeed the page you are requesting: Joyful Train?

I'm still learning to use Wikipedia, but I hope to have learned enough to Import the Japanese wiki article (pictures included) with the titles/important stuff (train names, etc) translated by the end of the weekend. From there, if there are any particular sections that are of interest, do tell me which ones you'd like to be translated first. Otherwise, I'll probably start translating sections in order of increasing intimidation. ^_^;;

Daniel

Hi

being new to this and with so much learn,  what are these joyful trains ?  What does it refer to?  I noticethe no do ka. Train was pictured and that is model I covet :).

G

CaptOblivious

Hi

being new to this and with so much learn,  what are these joyful trains ?  What does it refer to?  I noticethe no do ka. Train was pictured and that is model I covet :).

G

Precisely why we need this article so badly! "Joyful train" is the official term for any special train, e.g. excursion trains, steam trains, resort trains, trains in special liveries. Anything not on the daily timetable. There are a lot of them, and they're all one-off affairs.

qwertyaardvark

what are these joyful trains ?  What does it refer to?  I notice the no do ka. Train was pictured and that is model I covet :)

Lucky for you, I just finished translating the summary paragraph of this article~  :grin

"Joyful Trains are rolling stock or train sets mainly run by JR Group solely for organization use, time-limited engagements, special events, or tourist excursion purposes. Such trains are also referred to 'Interesting/Amusing Trains.' "

interesting trains indeed... ^_^ More on No.Do.Ka can be found on its own wiki page. Shall I add it to a JNS forum translation wish list?

Daniel

Thanks Daniel / Capt.

if you're offering Daniel :)  that would be great.  They certainly are a really colourful and what a wonderful descriptor!  I don't think any nation loves its trains as much as Japan!

Cheers

G.

qwertyaardvark

I'd be more than happy to add No.Do.Ka to the translation wish list~

As a particular JR commercial suggests: BE AMBITIOUS!  :laugh: I'll try to get the No.Do.Ka page up as well when time permits :)

Daniel

qwertyaardvark

Need Wiki help!

I literally had just finished making the Joyful Train with all japanese text and pictures set up and then... the page doesnt even load! it comes up completely blank...  ??? The same thing happended with the Japanese imported version except it was only the current version whose code was blanked. The JNS wiki version is just simply gone...  :sad:

Was wondering if anyone else can see english version? Anyone have any idea what might be going on? (I suspect the sheer large file size of the wiki is to blame... its over 100,000 bytes... ) The history can be accessed here.

Fortunately, I can recover the code with only a few sections left blank (Revision at 2:34, 14 Nov), with only a few sections blank.

Many thanks in advance,

Daniel

Update: Everything is back up and running again! :cheesy Seems that JNS Wiki does not like some high res pics for some reason, and if those same pics are used in an article, the article simply comes up blank. Also, how does one delete/remove pages from the wiki? While figuring out this problem, i accidentally made a page ^^;;

Update 2: Everything is back down and entirely erased...  :angry7: but yay for keeping backup code. Apparently there IS an upper limit of around 100k bytes allowed for the wiki article, and, if broken, is erased. So this only concerns the frighteningly long wiki articles. The Joyful Train will most likely be split into several pages, as this limit has been reached and, after adding translations, will probably balloon to well over twice said limit. A curiosity: the japanese wiki imposes no such limit, nor gives warnings. This wiki starts to complain once you get to 32k bytes... weird. Ah well, lesson learned.

CaptOblivious

That's a very interesting find.

Many of the images on the various wikipedias are stored at wikimedia commons, which our wiki can access. So don't worry about uploading the images to our server, unless they aren't at the commons. I'll look around on Monday to see if there are settings for max page size that I can increase. Still, the article probably warrants splitting up anyway (into historical and regional pages, perhaps, e.g. Joyful Trains of JNR, Joyful Trains of JR West, Joyful Trains of Third Sector Lines, etc.)

I've commented time and time again about broken images, (as did Scott)  and the 100k limit on image file sizes in wiki commons. It was a major issue earlier, that never really went anywhere. This was the reason I was downloading images from wikicomons, resizing and uploading directly to our server, and having our server host images for the wiki.  ??? ??? ???

CaptOblivious

I've commented time and time again about broken images, (as did Scott)  and the 100k limit on image file sizes in wiki commons. It was a major issue earlier, that never really went anywhere. This was the reason I was downloading images from wikicomons, resizing and uploading directly to our server, and having our server host images for the wiki.  ??? ??? ???

I didn't realize you were resizing images? I'll have a look-see now. Something is amiss, and my memory is terrible.

CaptOblivious

There is nothing in MediaWiki that limits page or image sizes; The most reason for a new import to not display is that PHP runs out of memory, but our settings are sufficiently high that this shouldnt be an issue. I've enable verbose error reporting, and I'm reverting the  Joyful Train page back to it's original very large size to see what happens.

CaptOblivious

The issue appears to be browser related: Apparently many browsers (incuding my own) have issues with posting more than 32kB of text. One work around is to simply only edit a section at a time. I am researching other issues.

Still don't know what's up with the images, but I thought we had resolved that issue?

Update: Still not sure what's going on. Edits to a too-large page delete that page. How strange. The default max article length is 2 MB. 100k isn't anywhere near that though, so I'm not sure what's up. Argh! This could be a DB issue.

CaptOblivious

I don't know how to fix this. I propose a radical restructuring of the page anyway. Please see the Joyful Train talk page.

The issue appears to be browser related: Apparently many browsers (incuding my own) have issues with posting more than 32kB of text. One work around is to simply only edit a section at a time. I am researching other issues.

Still don't know what's up with the images, but I thought we had resolved that issue?

Update: Still not sure what's going on. Edits to a too-large page delete that page. How strange. The default max article length is 2 MB. 100k isn't anywhere near that though, so I'm not sure what's up. Argh! This could be a DB issue.

I have run in to this as well. this was part of the reason I had not done so much importing as literal cut and copy new pages.

qwertyaardvark

I guess for now, I'll do my best to keep pages small, and if/when they get too big, I'll split the article. As far as pictures go, for now, I'll just resize them, and reload them onto the server.

Feels like im doing more coding than translating... ^^;;