SNCF CEO remarks on shinkansen

bikkuri bahn

The blog Infrastructurist has been running a regular series of features on HSR makers around the world, and today the Japanese makers were featured.  Nothing particularly new for the "old hands" that populate this board, but the blog author paraphrases the CEO of SNCF as saying that the shinkansen is 60 times (!) more reliable than the TGV Duplex. 

http://www.infrastructurist.com/2009/11/10/meet-the-train-makers-part-4-the-japanese/

where the quote actually is:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQQ/is_3_47/ai_n27177502/

Claude_Dreyfus

I think this does pull into sharp focus the gulf between what the Europeans and the Japanese classify as reliability. We do have a long way to go before we can match them, not only in terms of stock reliability, but also utilisation and infrastructure.

As many will know, most of the locomotive fleet in the UK is now GM supplied, we have about 700 class 66s with various operators. They were raved about, but that was partly because most of the locos they replaced were over 40 years old. True, their availability is very good, but in general they are poor machines, with suspect build quality causing no end of complaints from those that worked with them.

It is interesting that there are a number of proposals for a new high speed line in the UK, linking London with the north - exact destination still be to agreed. Amongst the interested parties in terms of stock is JR, who have been showing off their N700 sets during various consultation meetings. Our class 395 'Javelin' sets are Hitachi, and there are further possibilities for Japanese designs roaming the rails in the UK, and possibly Europe.

How cool would it be to travel from London on a Shinkansen!  :cool:

I'd like to know if the Javelin is on par reliability wise with their Japanese counterparts. I kind of have the feeling that also the overall maintenance is better on the japanese side.

Claude_Dreyfus

I'd like to know if the Javelin is on par reliability wise with their Japanese counterparts. I kind of have the feeling that also the overall maintenance is better on the japanese side.

That is true. I think it is on a par at present...because I believe it is currently maintained by Hitach themselves...

I think maintenance is one of the keys to Japanese reliability, I have ridden trains in Japan that appeared in new condition, until I looked at the builders plate and found they were built in the 1960's or even 50's.

I'm surprised the class 66's are not turning out so well, maybe EMD's quality has dropped since being sold by GM.

Remember, the 66s were introduced in the late 90s, when EMD was owned by GM.

I read in more than one place that EMD's reliability troubles began when they transferred production to Canada in the late 80s-early 90s... ? Doesn't make immediate sense, as Canadian GMDs from before that time aren't known for low reliability.

I wonder how much this reliability is a factor of maintenance or corporate/operational culture, rather than any inherent manufacturing superiority or build quality.  In Japan, the public level of tolerance for delays/failure in public transport is likely less than in western countries.  Maintenance regimes are likely quite strict- take vending machines, for example.  I rarely (if ever) have seen a vending machine out of order in Japan, even in the most remote rural location exposed to the elements.  In the USA, vending machines or ticket machines I have encountered seemed broken about half the time, and on more than one occasion gave wrong change, no change, or simply took my money with nothing in return!

As for the GM case, I wonder if the decline in reliability is a result of corporate cost cutting- bean counters are usually the culprits...

I'm not surprised that the shinkansen quality surpasses the quality of european trains.

At my hometown in Zürich we had a 4 year troublesome phase with the new trams. Everything which can go wrong did. A bombedardier product partly made in Switzerland. The new commuter stock from Siemens (Double deck Desiros) are infamous for their problems. And the new italian made pendolinos are over 3 years late and nobody knows when they are ready for commercial service. All of them had these beautiful streamlinde plug doors who can't handle heat, cold or whatever. there no plugdoors on any commuter, limited espress or shinkansen in japan. Doesn't look as cool but who cares.

the same can be said about cars

my first car was a 13 year old mazda with 150000 km on the chest. it ran another 4 years without any problem. no repais nesesary. I could even sell it to someone!

my second car was a 4 year old honda with 90000 km, it ran 3 years without any rapairs. Sold it

my third car was a NEW bmw. first problems after 6 months and then at least ever 7 to 8 months. not worth a dime

the vw was even worse!

the next one will be japanese for sure.