Nj Gauge (6.5mm)

bikkuri bahn

This modeler has created an interesting standard to more closely represent the 1067mm gauge in N scale (1/150).  He uses z scale track which is 6.5mm wide, which is close to the 7.113mm which would be the correct width to represent 1067mm trains.  By the way, regular 9mm N scale track comes out to 1350mm if full-size (9mmx150).  Also, he uses much more scale size wheels w/ smaller flanges on rolling stock.

his home page:

http://www.vivant.jp/taichi.htm

CaptOblivious

That has got to be a giant PITA to shorten the axles and modify all the trucks!

But the visual effect is stunning!

I've seen that website before, but never found it again when I searched for it again. Thanks so much for posting it! It's a very inspirational website with some very interesting landscape detailing parts as well. There seems to be a small market for Nj trains, but those are more based on 700mm logging lines and such. The website in the first post has some links to manufacturers as well. :9

Martijn Meerts

I'm so used to "regular" N-scale, that to me this looks weird. I know it's more prototypical, but still ;)

Although, the spacing between the sleepers and the sleepers themselves on the Z-scale track are too big...

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Maybe I'm wrong.. but is Nj and Nn3 the same thing?  Nn3 is growing in popularity here in the states.. N scale cars running on Z scale track.

Jon

hey hey,

Maybe I'm wrong.. but is Nj and Nn3 the same thing?  Nn3 is growing in popularity here in the states.. N scale cars running on Z scale track.

Jon

They are the same in that they both use z scale track, but North American N scale is 1/160, while Japan is 1/150.

In fact, Z track scales to about 41" in 1/160, so it's a bit wide for Nn3 - Nm would be a more appropriate term. In fact, 1/160 on Z track would be one of the close-to-correct ratios for Japan's 3'6" gauge, along with 1/120 (TT) on 9mm and 1/87 on 12mm (HOm; TT track).

I'm so used to "regular" N-scale, that to me this looks weird. I know it's more prototypical, but still ;)

Yes I have to agree, at first glance it looks weird because it is different to what I usually see and work with. Beautiful scenery though and I love the music on the video  :grin