Do you want to meet ??

domino

Well this is not totally of topic, but here goes .

Since i joint this forum , i have been talking to many of you, some more than other, i startet thinking,maybe we all should meet ??

I mean, this could be fun, meet some where in the World for a JNSforum sumit for a weekend, im not saying i should be in Europe at first, and not next year(on less you all want to ), but maybe in 2011  , lets say Washington DC for a weekend , and we could all see jeff`s club layout http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/

Well just at thought, let me hear what you think of this idea .

regards

Brian

domino

Bernard and I kicked around the idea a few months ago when  I was up in NYC. Not sure if Jeff and Bernard talked or if Bill R and Jeff talked on his trips. A good number of us are on the eastern seabord so the topic has come up, but nothing as so formal.

How about an even crazier idea, 2011 or 2012 (gives plenty of time to plan), we meet at Tokyo Station and then we can all take that train trip to all the remote rural stations around Japan  :grin :grin

It's an hour plane ride away for me to DC...  I am in.

:grin

I had thought about something like this myself,to get those of the members along the eastern seaboard to come join the JRM for one of our shows.

How about an even crazier idea, 2011 or 2012 (gives plenty of time to plan), we meet at Tokyo Station and then we can all take that train trip to all the remote rural stations around Japan  :grin :grin

That's a neat idea. Tough to plan for, but with a year to plan is a good idea.

That would be fantastic, i have never been to Japan but always wanted , and if it`s going to be in 2012 , we all have time to plan and save up some money for the trip to the other side of the world  :grin

domino

If we ever decide to meet in Tokyo, it would have to be at the classic place for meeting friends. The statue of Hachiko outside Shibuya station on the Yamanote Line.

post-218-13569923374996_thumb.jpg

2012 sounds good. I'm planning to go next summer, but I don't know how my financial future looks. I want to have at least €2000 to spend on model trains alone there! Then there are the costs for surviving, boarding, travel, going out, the trip to Japan will cost me about €1000, etc. etc.... That'd cost me at least a hefty €4000 in total! :confused1: Maybe I can stay at my girlfriend's in Tokyo or other friends in the area to keep costs low.

Maybe we can tag the meeting time to a model train convention to double the bonus!

Whenever I visit Japan I see posters in hobby shops advertising conventions or shows the weekend after I leave for home. :grin

I'd be interested! It would be nice to visit with people who know the difference between a DB Class 64 and Series 787.  All my so-called friends around here are too stupid to get it. (Sarcasm off). :grin

So how many people have we got so far? :grin :grin

Yeah would be nice if we time it to one of the major train expo (which one is the biggest one again?)

So assuming we can pull this off, what exactly does everyone think we should do,

like do we just meet at Tokyo Station and perhaps go to the expo for a day,

or should we make it more like a group tour, travel together for like 5 days (or more?), take the trains, go on a photo hunt for rare trains, and go outside of Tokyo ... :grin

Would you tailor it for first timers for whom everything would be interesting, or for repeat visitors who would like to seek out that branchline they haven't ridden yet? If the group is large enough maybe attend a train show or the railway museum as a whole, but split into special interest groups to do other things. I could easily spend a week or more in the Tokyo area but you'd have to include at least one Shinkansen ride even if it's only a short one. If a meeting were organised I would likely fit in into a longer personal trip.

Would you tailor it for first timers for whom everything would be interesting, or for repeat visitors who would like to seek out that branchline they haven't ridden yet? If the group is large enough maybe attend a train show or the railway museum as a whole, but split into special interest groups to do other things. I could easily spend a week or more in the Tokyo area but you'd have to include at least one Shinkansen ride even if it's only a short one. If a meeting were organised I would likely fit in into a longer personal trip.

A little of both I would guess.

qwertyaardvark

Count me in~! I would love to go back to Japan ^_^ I have a date with Mt. Fuji planned with some study abroad friends and I would like to meet some of yall in person! :)

Daniel

Martijn Meerts

As much as I like Japanese trains, my first visit to Japan will be more to see the old temples and castles and such, and not so much go hunting for trains. The idea is to spend as little time as possible in the big cities, and as much time as possible in the smaller, more traditional towns. I may actually go do one of those pilgrimage routes where you walk 8-9 hours a day from one place to another etc.

Darren Jeffries

I will give it a provisional thumbs up, although air travel outside the uk at the moment is VERY expensive.

I have a plan to go to Niagra for a second honeymoon in 2012 but it could be changed, with a small detour to meet up with everyone. 2011 would be better for me.

On a seperate but related note, Bernard, are you covering the 2012 Olympics? If so it might be nice to get the UK and northern europe members to meet up in London...

If going to Japan, I'd like to visit private local lines in the Chiba, Tochigi and Ibaraki-prefectures (e.g. Choshi RR, Kominato RR, Mooka RR, Kantou RR, Hitachinaka Kaihin RR, etc. etc.) and maybe up-north in Tohoku (Maybe even do a complete run from Asakusa to Aizu-Wakamatsu with Toubu RR , Yagan RR and Aizu RR). A JR-East Railpass would suffice I think. I rode the Shinkansen before and tbh, I see High-Speed trains more as a practical form of transport, rather then something I'd be a fan of. Local is more my thing.

Also, I'd love to visit Nara, behold a race or practice runs on Tsukuba Circuit and go shopping for cheap and hard to get 2nd hand model train stuff in Tokyo. :9

Claude_Dreyfus

I am actively working in Mrs Dreyfus to return to Japan, but she keeps telling me that there are 192 countries in the world and not enough time to see them all. It would, however, be nice for a few of us to meet up in Japan...

I do like the idea of a Northern Europe meeting, scary to think though that 2012 is 7 weeks off being two years away!

Something else to throw into the mix as an 'also' as opposed to an 'instead of' is the intention is for our club layout to hit the exhibition circuit once complete. We are being stupidly ambitious, and one of the possible targets would be Eurospoor at Utrecht, as well as a number of others. That may be a good way for a couple of us to get to meet up...

Darren Jeffries

Utrect is definately do-able. Flights are cheap to amsterdam with easyjet, hotels are not that expensive either.