Hokutosei Blue

kevsmiththai

Hi all.

Does anybody know a paint match colour fo the Hokutosei DD51s and coaches ?

I'm tweaking a H0  Kato DD51at the moment but I also need to know about the four air hoses at either end. On the railway I work for in the U.K one end hose each side has yellow ends and cocks (100 p.s.i main res) and one red each side (train pipe pressure). If it is the same which ones are the upper outer hoses?

cheers

Kev

Oh. Forgot to mention. Does anybody do H0 figures of standing JNR drivers dressed for cold weather? 

I'm not planning on doing a H0 layout but fancy a diorama based on this wilki comons picture

JNR_DD51_041.JPG

Loco will be weathered based on this pic

cheers

Kev

• Like 2

G'day Kev,

This photo should help. The DD51s have the main res and brake pipe hoses duplicated on either side of the headstock. Main res pipes have black cocks, brake pipe are white. From memory the 5th hose on the right next to the MU jumper is the independent brake application hose.

Cheers,

Mark.

.large.5A1DCE0D-F5B4-475F-9406-29D8CE8CAE

• Like 2

Thanks Mark.

Jumper cables are next on the list.

Still tempted to get the Aoshima one and an N scale version to do the old 'same loco in different scales' display 

Kev

• Like 1

I found Tamiya TS15 Blue aerosol was pretty good. Not sure I'd try patch painting with it, but it's close enough that coach kits sprayed with it don't look completely wrong next to RTR Kato:

The kit is from the somewhat crude but silly cheap Arii/MicroAce range. The wheels are terrible and the bogies aren't much better, but they're only the equivalent of about a tenner each. Kadees fit easily, just screw the draft gear box onto the circular plate the kit coupler is intended to screw onto. They do a few different ones including a couple of types used in the Hokutosei (OHaNe and KaNi), although you'd have to alter the doors on the OHaNeFu to turn it from a 25 100 to 25 200.

• Like 1