Hello from Wales

SuperAzusa

Hello all,

I have visited Japan several times in the last few years, but it was only in March/April this year that I was bitten by the model train bug.

I had discovered that the E351 series had all been scrapped, which made me a little sad as the E351 had rescued me and my now-wife from a disastrous attempt to see Mt. Fuji in 2016. So, I decided as the next best thing to pick up the KATO model. I saw that KATO had "recently" released the E351, which I thought strange as the real train had been around for quite a long time. (I found out later this was a new, updated version of the original KATO model, 10-358 etc).

Unfortunately, the KATO Hobby Centre didn't have it in stock, saying it was long sold out. I was determined to leave with something, so I picked up 10-847 and 10-848, the E259 Narita Express.

I was struck by the detailing and the satisfying way the models are stored in books. Then I was struck by the fact that I could actually play with my purchases at any Popondetta with a rental layout (unlike my UK childhood experience of buying expensive Hornby, and setting up a miserable loop of track that was *just* slightly too big for the kitchen table once in a blue moon.)

So I bought more! And I have kept adding to my collection ever since.

Recently I have started a hobby of miniature scenery and diorama making to display these wonderful KATO models and am hoping to get good enough to sell one or two every now and then.

My collection at the moment:

• 10-847/10-848 - E259 Narita Express (purchased at KATO Hobby Centre)
  • 10-1174/10-1175/10-1176 - N700A "Nozomi" (purchased for just £167 off amazon.jp and delivered to the FamilyMart round the corner from our hotel.)
  • 10-1522/10-1523/10-1524 - E353 "Azusa/Kaiji" (purchased from amazon.jp and delivered to UK, turned up last week at time of writing!)

and lastly:

• 10-1342/10-1343 - E351 "Super AZUSA" (yes, I found second hand ones when I was in Japan this year. Not finding it in the KATO Hobby Centre made me more determined to find an E351. 10-1342 was found in Hachioji Popondetta, after a chat with the friendly chap who worked there who spoke English, and magically dug out this pristine box which I purchased on the spot! 10-1343 was found in Mandarake in Nakano Broadway. I felt extremely lucky to find it as it was nearing the end of our holiday.

As you can tell by my username, I'm a big fan of the E351 and the Chuo Line in particular, and limited expresses in general. I hope to pick up an E257 set on my next trip to Japan (which might be me following my wife who has applied for the JET programme) and I've pre-ordered the 651 series which is due to be released by KATO at the end of November (again from Amazon Japan).

If anyone is in the Cardiff area of the UK who is on the forum, give me a heads up!

• Like 4

Welcome Azusa!

glad you found us! Sounds like you got bit by the bug bad! 

love to see your diorama bits, great way to sneak into the layout scene! Have you seen the Ttrak modular concept of doing small (multiples of 12”) modules? Might be something of interest to you. 

http://ttrak.org

http://ttrak.wikidot.com

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts
15 hours ago, SuperAzusa said:

So I bought more! And I have kept adding to my collection ever since.

Pretty sure everyone here will say, "That sounds familiar" ..

Also, it never ends 😄

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SuperAzusa said:

As you can tell by my username, I'm a big fan of the E351 and the Chuo Line in particular,

Excellent taste!

15 hours ago, cteno4 said:

love to see your diorama bits, great way to sneak into the layout scene! Have you seen the Ttrak modular concept of doing small (multiples of 12”) modules? Might be something of interest to you. 

http://ttrak.org

http://ttrak.wikidot.com

Yeah, I've heard of T-Trak. At the moment space constraints and lack of talent force me to work on a smaller canvas. I've been working on a 370mm x 160mm MDF base and I have made 3 of them so far (each meant to be displayed individually.)

I'll post some pictures when I get home next. I certainly use some advice for ballasting!

Nah, just to be displayed individually. It's more for showcasing the model than anything else. If I did intend to connect them I would definitely use the t-trak standard.

Could always roll your own! I prefer the Ttrak flipped like you have it so the scene is in front and the train runs thru it then. Train in front always diminishes the scene and train in front all the time also makes the train a bit boring after a bit. One of our club members made a set of transition modules so we can run a bunch of modules flipped around so the scene is in front and tracks at the back.

nice show cases and fits on the bookshelf well! Thanks for posting.

cheers,

jeff

The Next Station Is...

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby! I'm not local to Cardiff but in the south Wales area. I'm sure there's a couple of other members from Wales as well. 

Nice work on the diorama - you're better at finishing scenery than I am! 

15 hours ago, The Next Station Is... said:

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby! I'm not local to Cardiff but in the south Wales area. I'm sure there's a couple of other members from Wales as well. 

Nice work on the diorama - you're better at finishing scenery than I am! 

Thank you. That's very kind. Hopefully we from Wales can collaborate in a layout at some point!

My other dioramas. Same baseboard for all of them (12mm thick MDF, 37cm by 16cm, fits perfectly on those cheap IKEA metal shelves that cost just £10).

20191201_125810.jpg

First to last is left to right. I like to think I got better.

20191201_125915.jpg

20191201_125822.jpg

20191201_125927.jpg

The red things were in the reference picture I used. Anyone know what they're for? Something to do with loading gauge?

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum! Cheers!

By the way, just in case anyone’s interested, my contact is selling a few wheels and tires. If anyone’s interested, feel free to PM me.

Edited by ChapterPeter