Kato NW2 with TCS decoder

jozasa

I have added DCC to my Kato NW2 with the TCS decoder K3D3. Runs beautifully

However I am not able to activate Railcom. According to the TCS manual there are four CVs to touch, namely CV178, CV180, CV181 and CV28 (all set to zero as default) as per attached pic

I have tried different settings without success

I wonder if anyone in the forum has same DCC setup in this loco and can shed any light

Thanks in advance

tcs railcom.jpg

I answer myself. I contacted TCS and they told me that only decoders with a version 89 or higher support Railcom, check in CV7

My K3D3 is version 88, so it doesn't, even if it is misleadingly stated in the manual...

5 hours ago, jozasa said:

I answer myself. I contacted TCS and they told me that only decoders with a version 89 or higher support Railcom, check in CV7

My K3D3 is version 88, so it doesn't, even if it is misleadingly stated in the manual...

I assume this is a firmware issue not and not an actual HW issue?  Does TCS have a way for users to flash the firmware to upgrade it?   (I ask as I have a bunch of TCS myself)

I asked that question to TCS regarding the K3D3, but they told me it cannot be upgraded by firmware update.

They say that the decoder's hardware is simply not prepared for Railcom, since they must have a "special chip" for that.

No idea in the case of other TCS decoders.

• Thanks 1