Tomytec Station Platform and Unitrack height question

Scoobster28

Hello! I am new to this forum but not model railroading. I live in the USA and have an HO layout but my wife loves anything Japanese and collects N scale (American trains) so I thought I would build a T-trak module (a "triple") to capture some of our favorite things we see in Japanese anime. I am using Kato Unitrak, and purchased a Tomytec Station G "Surburban Platform" to use. I know Japanese N scale is 1:150 (generally) but I don't have any load gauges or height gauges or any Japanese prototype trains yet. 

So, how far from the rails should I position the station platform to clear Japanese N scale trains? Also, what height from the baseboard should the top of the platform be to work with Unitrak, and will I need to shim or raise of the platform kit to get there?

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, Scoobster28 said:

So, how far from the rails should I position the station platform to clear Japanese N scale trains? Also, what height from the baseboard should the top of the platform be to work with Unitrak, and will I need to shim or raise of the platform kit to get there?

The Tomix track head is 6mm, Unitrack is 7mm, so in theory you'd need to raise the Tomix platforms 1mm.

However depending on what stock you want to run, higher or lower platforms might be appropriate, for example very modern platforms for Shinkansens etc. would come right up to the floor height of the car, older platforms are usually a bit lower.