Switch issues

NateJ93

So I finally got all the track I needed for my layout and mocked it up to test everything, only to find the train loses power the instant it crosses through a switch.

Here's the track plan for my layout:

368382887_revisedtrackplan.thumb.png.094ddde630388ab1d185f9da6c5d064c.png

I can run a train on the loop all day long, but as soon as it tries to take any of the switches, all power is lost.

I know in the past, others have had various troubles involving Kato switches, but most of those involved converting their respective layouts to DCC.

I run DC only and want to run just one train at a time, so what do I need to do in order for a train to go anywhere with no problems?

• Like 1

Check the screws on the underside of the points. These can be used to connect or disconnect power to each branch, depending on which way the point is set. 

0B64BB93-E1E2-4848-809B-401CCBAA6F81.thumb.jpeg.4b179110de5ad866ae780576fc6d058d.jpeg

Probably you want each of the screws to be in the “non power routing” position, and for the frog power to be ON. I believe that this is the correct combination so that trains on sidings only get power when they’re able to pass the points to the main line. This is almost always The Right Thing. 

I’ve never had to change any of mine, though. So unless you got yours used (and the previous user changed the settings) this may not be your problem. But it’s worth a look!

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1

I don’t see an F62 (power feeder) on your layout plan. I’m guessing that you may be providing power to the top of the layout. I think you need to connect power to the main line at the front of the layout. The rule of thumb is, if your train could travel from where it is to the power feeder without switching any points, it should get power. That’s assuming your points have the screws in the normal position. 

Looking at the layout you have, the siding at the top on the left hand side doesn’t have any route to the power, because you’d need to drive it to the right, change the points, and reverse direction, to get to the power supply. 

Now, if you know you will  only ever want one train on the layout, I think you can set all the points up so that they transfer power in all directions, but I don’t know which combination of screws is needed for that. And most people want more than one train on the layout, which is why the default settings on the points are usually correct—because it’s easy to “park” a train on a siding just by switching off the nearest points. 

Your best solution may be to connect the power to more than one piece of track. That’s what I’ve done when I needed to power trains through multiple switchbacks. In your case, I think you could add an F62 between the EP718 and the EP481 that are back-to-back in the upper middle between the three sidings. But you might be able to put it on the single siding to the left of that pair. I think that between the points might be your best bet. 

Edited by Sheffie

What type of Kato turnout is it?  There was a past problem with Unitrack turnouts having the power routing settings mislabelled on the back of the turnout.

• Like 1

The problem with this layout is it will be difficult to isolate all your passing tracks and stub tracks using only point power routing. And to get the stub track to work you will need some of the main loop points set (primarily the one in the top right) to run power into the interior tracks.

where currently do you have your power feeds? Which tracks do you want to store trains on while running on the main loop

jeff

On 11/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, bill937ca said:

There was a past problem with Unitrack turnouts having the power routing settings mislabelled on the back of the turnout.

The image posted above by Sheffie is an example of a Kato turnout which is mislabeled.

The English 'Power Routing' and 'Non-Power Routing' do not match the Japanese label.

This character 非 indicates ~NON~ Power Routing, yet the English says Power Routing.

Would be a good idea to compare the labels above to your actual turnout.

*** I should have mentioned that it is the Japanese labels which are correct and not the English ***

Edited by RogerMc
  • Like 1

Here's an example where the English and the Japanese labels match.

Notice how 非 and Non appear on the same label.

IMG_6616.jpg

Edited by RogerMc

Apologies for not replying sooner, been fighting off a stomach virus all last week.

I was completely unaware of the power routing function of the Kato switches, never seen anything like it.

Sheffie: The power connects to the bottom of the layout just to the right of the grade crossing.

I only found out about the F62 piece after I had ordered the (Supposedly) last of the necessary track, so in true redneck fashion, I simply soldered the wires to the rails.

cteno4: I can only store cuts of cars at the four stub tracks and maybe a dummy DMU at the station on the inner track (Since the layout is DC).

I'll do some tinkering and see what happens.