Wakasa layout

SL-san

In November 2017 I posted my intention to build my first Japanese prototype layout.  I have finally "finished' (no I know you never really finish) my N scale layout representing Wakasa station in Tottori.  I wanted to model a Japanese rural railway...somewhere that I could run my collection of steam locos...on a small 2400mm x 660mm layout in my apartment.  After consulting Google maps and visiting the location I realised that, with a bit (read lot) of compression and modeller's licence, it could work.  I decided to use Kato Unitrack and devised a track plan that reproduced the features of Wakasa but allowed continuous running (by assuming that proposed extension to Yoka happened)  and provided a six track fiddle (staging) yard.  The station building is a Kato kit but all the other buildings are scratch built with the turntable a modified Peco kit.  A pair of Tomytec railcars in Wakasa Railway livery have been purchaced to run a passenger service back to Tottori.  I also a beautiful Kato C12, DD16, three series 12 passenger cars, a four wheel open wagon and a guards van to replicate the rolling stock currently displayed at Wakasa.  My fifteen strong steam locomotive fleet and six rakes of passenger cars crowding the fiddle yard and storage tracks sometimes get a run, but the E655 'Nagomi' set and EF58-61 will have to wait for overhead wires!

SL-san (Graeme...too many steam locos is never enough)  

DSCF6839 (1).jpeg

DSCF6842 (1).jpeg

• Like 20

If you do take some more photos then could you do a couple at eye level - looking across the scene. I think that those trees must make a good backdrop giving a hint of things beyond.  Your fiddle yard allows for plenty of variation to the station scene.  I have just looked at some photos of the real station and it certainly looks as though you have captured the spirit of the place - well done! 

Thanks cteno4 and gcmr for the positive comments.

Jeff...the crop fields were done by slightly roughing up high density foam base, painting with different mixes of 'artists' acrylics & when dry painting thin parallel lines of PVA glue & sprinkling coloured ground foam or placing tiny balls of the same, then once dry vacuuming off the excess.

I attach some more photos as requested!

Cheers,

Graeme

DSCF6828.jpeg

DSCF6837.jpeg

DSCF6864.jpeg

DSCF6849.jpeg

• Like 14

Wow! This is really neat! I love how the backdrop of the rural scene hides a maintenance yard that makes it easy to do some shunting of locomotives! 

Gotta love those trees though, and that yard door is really realistic! Thanks for sharing!

Hi JR 500,

I felt I had to have Wakasa in cherry blossom time...but those cherry trees were a pain!  I had bought two packs of Kato ready made trees (the pink ones) but needed a lot more to complete the scene.  So I bought two packs of Kato (made by Woodland Scenics in USA) cherry tree kits and boy were they tough to get to stay together!  The glue to affix the seagrass like material to the plastic armatures let go when the white glue to affix the pink cherry blossom was applied!!  I had to resort to using a different glue for the branches and hair spray for the blossom!!!  The cherry trees are still shedding branches not just blossom...Sakura indeed.

Cheers,

Graeme 

• Like 1

Assuming that the proposed extension of the line from Wakasa to Yoka happened I am sure the Emperor would have visited in the imperial train pulled by C59-108 and even streamlined C55-20 might have passed by!

Cheers,

Graeme

DSCF6976.jpeg

DSCF6991.jpeg

• Like 8

Thanks tossedman...not only do you quote Van Gough but you approve of my choice of trains!  Consequently I add photos of four more!!  I'm not sure how C57-1 got to Wakasa pulling SL Yamaguchi, but its my model railway!!!  I have travelled on SL Yamaguchi from Shin Yamaguchi to Tswano and return behind C57-1...a great experience and covered by my Japan Rail Pass!!!!

DSCF6983.jpeg

DSCF6992.jpeg

DSCF7001.jpeg

DSCF7013.jpeg

• Like 7