NEW T-TRACK

gerryo

Hi.  I'm back.  And I have given up on building Z-Track.  My new start is N-Track because I like to take my small layout to model train shows.  This layout will eventually be over 8 feet wide across the T and about 9 feet tall.  Right now I have all the modules built and am laying track at the moment.  I keep running into that old supply problem but I need to practibe patience.

I will try to post a pic of what my plan is to look like, just to give you an idea where my problems are and my questions.

gerryoca

SMALL 3 WAY.jpg

• Like 3

I think I will have a problem with the power on that inner track where it crosses over to itself on the opposite side.  The power is fed to that inner loop where the letter P is.  My question is.  Can I run that loop as either a small loop or a big loop by opening or closing both switches at the same time or will there be a short circuit?  

I know how it works with the double crossover at the top of the layout, but this seems different.

Any suggestions???

gerryoca

Gerry, 

you are fine on that inner loop fed the way you have it, the two options are basically just a passing siding setup, so no Loop back or Y going on that needs special working. I would add another feeder on N5 for that inner loop. You want the feeds on the outside of the points and not on either of the option route tracks. Points will properly route the power for you. You can always store a train on the route not in use and just trade off between the two trains using the points like it’s a passing siding.

on the outer Two loops I would look at putting feeders on N5 and N10 to get two feeders as far apart as possible. Or keep the current N6 feeders and add unijoiner feeders in the middle of the curves on N9. Best to have a feeder every 6 or 8 modules as the end unijoiners take more abuse than usual on the table setups and it can create voltage drops, also scenery and ballast can muck up connections in nailed down track and hard to repair (well soldering can do the trick). I put in feeders in many of my modules, at least the wires to the tracks, so if I need them later they are there to use. Im a fan of just cutting a slot thru the roadbed under the rails with the dremel and soldering 18g wire to the bottom of the track. Then just wire this to a screw euro terminal block under the module so you can add a power feed cable with appropriate connector for want ever setup. 

going to shows means being ready to fiddle with things that may not work right after you setup and having the drops in a lot of places potentially makes life easier to dance when you have to and the pressure is on. Also potentially playing with others at shows may mean dancing with connectors and power busses.

cheers

jeff

Thanx Jeff and Roger for your comments.

Roger.  I use the Masterpiece modules and don't agree with his need for small track pieces.  I have used 45 degree pieces using R315 for the outer and R282 for the inner and it works just fine.

I have one more question and so I will have to include a pic of the complete set.  I will be including an Airport in this which is on 1238mm long modules to prevent having splits in the runway.                        what length should a runway be in N scale?

I guess the proper pic will have to wait....I seem to have messed up again.  I'll be back.

Gerry 

SMALL 3 WAY.jpg

OK.  Now I've got it.  This is the whole Plan.  So, how long should that main runway be, down the middle?

I give up.  The whole file is too big.  I have the main runway the full length of that module.  Is that too long?

Gerry

N-T-TRACK AIRPORT.jpg

Gerry,

on the inside loop you should really have feeders just outside the points with that long run down the peninsula as you can put feeders on the sidings if you want your points to do power routing and store any trains on the non running siding. The power feed you now have on the short siding is in the wrong place on N2 if you want power routing by the points. You need to move it up to N3 just north of the point there.

airport looks to be surrounded by buildings there.

the inside curves have been done with the small track sections all the way back to the establishment of 33mm ttrak, it keeps the geometry perfect as it’s designed to keep module and track spacing standard so all standard modules can be used to with inside corners with multiple contributors ar a show. Ttrak track specs are all designed to play well with others, While you can bend the 282s and 315s to fit it’s going to kink the joints a bit. It looks like you spread the deformation out across your N1 and N4 end caps some and N11 looks to have smaller track spacing on the left. This may cause a change in location of your module track joints and junction track spacing so may not make it good for standard expansion with playing with others, but you may not be planning on that.

jeff

As for how long a prototypical runway ought to be... forget it. 

Just like railway slopes and curves, we cannot hope to make an exact scale replica in a reasonable amount of space. We just do the best we can. 

Prototypical runways may be 1800m to 2400m long, possibly more depending on the aircraft type and altitude. Nobody has enough space for that. 

gerryoca

I really like your layout concept. Per Wikipedia, the shortest GA runway is about 800 ft (sounds scary). 800/160 = 5 ft, so you're credible with 4 ft.

I also contemplated a T shape t-trak layout with an airport. The runways would be used to cover the gaps at the back of the modules for the wiring. Unfortunately, my search for general aviation aircraft somewhat close to N scale was not very successful and I gave up on the idea. If you found a source, please let us know.

Here was my initial plan which used 3 - 6 ft banquet tables as the base.

2056396232_tmodulepic.thumb.jpg.8a58d9580c4ea113e4867c7bbb8ce1a8.jpg

About the inside corners ...  using the 282/315 tracks disrupts the t-trak geometry. This simple track plan illustrates the problem.

replypic.thumb.jpg.2bae5e0de12d3f9342ca597e88091f44.jpg

If your layout is standalone, this is obviously not a problem since you don't have maintain the set back distance at the front of the module. Incidentally, the 45.5mm (20070) tracks fit the gap at the bottom.

Looking forward to following your progress ...

Roger

No Roger, I could not find anything close to N scale in aircraft.  So I decided to stick to 1/200 scale...If you look back at my previous efforts, you will find I was working in Z scale and this 1/200 was close enough for that.  With them being fairly expensive I decided to keep them for this.  It'll have to do, in other words.

As for alignment of track.  I use all Masterpiece modules so I assume his cutter will drill holes close enough so that the track joints will fit...….approximately.  I just received N10 & N11 today so haven't had a chance to look at them yet to see how they fit.

Yes, I am planning to take them out to the shows, but we don't have SHOWS up here in THE NORTH the way you guys do.

Gerry

Just a few words about shows..

Over a year ago I attempted to start a small club to model in Z-Scale, but I have never had any inquiries about it.  So this year I switched myself to N-Track and hope to take this layout to our small shows aroubd here.  There is an N-Track club about 100 miles north of me, but I don't suppose they will be interested in as large of an addition as this one.

There are a few shows close around here and I will try to get in on them

Gerry

I can see z being harder to find followers as our local z club is always moaning about how hard getting new members. Nice thing about n Ttrak is it’s the most universal and good to pick up newbies. I see it as the best hope to bring younger folks into the hobbies and also retirees looking for hobbies but have down sized living spaces. Young ones want small places so no room for a layout, but working on individual Ttrak modules you can do at the kitchen table or desk easily and display on shelves. Do temp set up on the kitchen tables or folding table or floor if you have a loop. Best thing is younger generations like the concepts of meetups to do various activities so getting together to work on modules (you can transport all you need in a bankers box on public transport) or run trains for an evening at a home or public spot is attractive “group” thing to do! 

once you have this think past shows and maybe the local public library for a day or the senior center to get fresh eyeballs.

wish there were a solution to module building as it’s still a hump to get folks to spend $35-45 for just the base with shipping. Roger’s new setup with the insulation is on the path to the minimal and now looking at using something like dowel pins to make it uber easy to assemble. Sadly shipping these type things just gets more and more as time goes on here.

The holes will line up on the large radiuses on the inside modules, you will need to drill new ones. You also need to spread the deformation out across some of the other modules and loose doing standard expansions at those joints. You will need modules right the track closer to the front of the module or sticking out some. Also you will need an odd length module at the top of the t to bring standard 180 back on spacing. Rogers diagram illustrates the problem. But again you can just go off standard and make it fit across your modules but many may come out not being standard track placement so it becomes a sectional layout (ie modules have set places they go which is the way our are talking here for scenery) vs modular layout where you can use any corner or straight module anywhere in the layout track placement wise.

cheers,

jeff

I think you are probably right, Jeff, about the "fresh eyeballs".  And I think, for now I will concentrate on the small T layout and take my time with the airport.  I did Libraries and 

Senior Centers back in the days when I had a portable Z scale layout, and I had my wife to lend a hand as well.

Yes, I am getting very old.

Thanx Jeff.

Gerry

Hi Guys.  I am putting together the above layout and am wondering aboit the surface finish.  On my Z scale modules I just used a nice green paint, which was very resilient and there was no need for Woodlamd Scenics "GRASS"/

Would this paint be OK an my N-Track modules?

Gerry

Gerry,

I don’t think that will work at n scale well, probably look like green painted wood. Maybe paint an earth brown and then cover with ground foams and other paint for cement and roads. Earth color is always a good base as any peaking thur is dirt... A little texture and randomness goes a long way. Some larger ground foam or lichen bushes. Really is quite fast and easy to do. Just paint on some matte medium (Basically clear acrylic paint base you can get it in the craft store as mod podge) where you want to put down ground foam. Matte medium dries to a nicer invisible finish than white glue does and is softer to scrape up later if you need to modify something (basically woodland scenic scenery glue but that’s like twice the price). 

Now sprinkle on the ground foam onto the wet matte medium. Mix up the colors some and don’t do it all one color (only see this on a very well manicured lawn or freshly tilled field). You can use a fine kitchen strainer to dust it on and also spoon and just pinch in the fingers. You can use a light paint brush to move extra around as you like before the matte medium dries. Once the matte medium is dry you can the knock off or brush off excess you may not want and then spray it with matte medium diluted 1:3 or 4 with water from a spray bottle. This will fix any loose stuff on the top. If there is still loose bits after drying you can hit it again with a spritz. of corse best to cover your rails with tape while spritzing.

tons of videos on this on youtube, but uber simple and fast and will really give you something nice and much much nicer than the green paint.

cheers

jeff

I will be reducing my layout by shortening the airport to an air relics field.  This means I will not have the long runways.  Hopefully I will a small landing strip to land my relics on.

I have added a 12 inch extension ro all 3 legs of the T.

Thanx for the comments,Jeff, om the use of painted modules.  I'll have a go at planting grass.

The attached pic will describe what I am doing.  This layout will be 9 feet long by 5.5 feet deep.

I am also trying to find a place to attach a rail yard that would hold about 6 trains 3 of which are my shinkhansens.  Where would you put it?????

Gerryo502977415_SMALL3WAY.thumb.jpg.6a971c485b200cc778f41d904b627c33.jpg

• Like 1

Have you actually laid out all the teack to see if this plan will work. T-Trak doesnt have much wiggle room for error.

Sine you have a complex plan. You might be better of with modules of your choosing and varible pieces to connect tracks. Even you track pieces dont line up on your computerized track layout program.

Thanx for the comments, Katoftw.

This pic will show what I mean about size anv nowhere to put a small yard.  All my modules are from Masterpiece in Texas, so they are really very stable in size and the drilling of track mounting holes.  I initially ordered 2 of their /quad modules for the runways which I have decided not to include, so I could use one of them for a yard.

This pic will show what I mean.

Gerryo

EXTENDED SMALL T.jpg

something I have been forgetting to say is that the interior loops are meant to be for a Tram line from the station to industrial, residential and fo the Airport, which is now a small Museum type place.  I got the Idea from a small local airport in Nanton, Alberta, Canada.

Gerryo