Sign in to follow this  
Tony Galiani

Tokyo Trip - Shopping Success

Tony Galiani

Just returned from Tokyo and my first visit to Japan.  With the help of this forum I did locate the model railway shop at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku.  I had been hoping to find a Tomytec Collection DMU set I had missed but no luck there.

On the last day of the trip, we did go to Akihabara and while my wife went to Bic Camera, I managed to get to Imon Models and to the Popondetta shop.  Neither shop had the DMU set but I did purchase some items at both.  Imon Models made the tax-free process very easy which was nice and the shop did have a good selection of Tomix and Kato models.  I enjoyed my visit there and could certainly recommend them as a (relatively) easy place to find and shop at.

I also picked up some magazines during my travels around Tokyo including Japan Railfan Magazine 2019-11, TMS #933 and Nine Scale World October 2019.  I admit I am living in the past a bit but I really enjoy a real magazine and am impressed with the quality of these.

Thanks,

Tony

• Like 7

IST
On 10/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, Tony Galiani said:

I also picked up some magazines during my travels around Tokyo including Japan Railfan Magazine 2019-11, TMS #933 and Nine Scale World October 2019.  I admit I am living in the past a bit but I really enjoy a real magazine and am impressed with the quality of these.

Your are not the only one, I also like reading these magazines especially on a cold winter evening.

Tony Galiani

I forgot to mention that we noticed some shops had older modeling magazines for as little as 300 yen.  Had I been a bit more savvy, I would have picked up more magazines for my small collection.

Maybe next time ....

We did not want to make our visit about shopping but we did have two shopping goals - my wife wanted to go to Nippori Fabric Town and I wanted to visit Bass Japan Direct to check out some bass guitars.  We were both successful in those projects!

Tony