Tokyo Trip - Shopping Success

Tony Galiani

Tony Galiani

Just returned from Tokyo and my first visit to Japan.  With the help of this forum I did locate the model railway shop at Yodobashi Camera in Shinjuku.  I had been hoping to find a Tomytec Collection DMU set I had missed but no luck there.

On the last day of the trip, we did go to Akihabara and while my wife went to Bic Camera, I managed to get to Imon Models and to the Popondetta shop.  Neither shop had the DMU set but I did purchase some items at both.  Imon Models made the tax-free process very easy which was nice and the shop did have a good selection of Tomix and Kato models.  I enjoyed my visit there and could certainly recommend them as a (relatively) easy place to find and shop at.

I also picked up some magazines during my travels around Tokyo including Japan Railfan Magazine 2019-11, TMS #933 and Nine Scale World October 2019.  I admit I am living in the past a bit but I really enjoy a real magazine and am impressed with the quality of these.

Thanks,

Tony

• Like 7
On 10/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, Tony Galiani said:

I also picked up some magazines during my travels around Tokyo including Japan Railfan Magazine 2019-11, TMS #933 and Nine Scale World October 2019.  I admit I am living in the past a bit but I really enjoy a real magazine and am impressed with the quality of these.

Your are not the only one, I also like reading these magazines especially on a cold winter evening.

I forgot to mention that we noticed some shops had older modeling magazines for as little as 300 yen.  Had I been a bit more savvy, I would have picked up more magazines for my small collection.

Maybe next time ....

We did not want to make our visit about shopping but we did have two shopping goals - my wife wanted to go to Nippori Fabric Town and I wanted to visit Bass Japan Direct to check out some bass guitars.  We were both successful in those projects!

Tony

On 10/8/2019 at 1:09 PM, Tony Galiani said:

Imon Models made the tax-free process very easy which was nice....

Can someone explain what this tax-free process is / means?

Cheers!

This is my experience:

Consumption tax in Japan is 10%. As a foreigner, you are exempt (you don't have to pay that tax) if you buy goods that you will take out of Japan, that are valued at least 5,000 yens in a single receipt, from any shop that offers tax-free shopping.

The process is simple. At the cashier, you just give your passport (don't forget to bring it). They will fill and attach a form (that you will have to sign) along with a copy of the receipt to your passport. If you do that, you don't have to pay the 10% tax at all. (That's much better than in many other countries (like Europe) where you first have to pay the tax, then may partially get it back at the airport).

At the airport, after the security check but before immigration, go to the tax free counter, show your passport and hand them all the tax free forms. That's all.

At that point, you are supposed to have all the tax free goods with you and show them that they are leaving Japan, but I have never been asked. Anyway, I always bring my treasured purchases along with me and never check them in with my baggage.

One last thing: Pay attention to the fact that most stores (like Imon, Popondetta or Tam Tam) display the price tax excluded. Others like Yodobashi display the price tax included.

This is a photo taken at Popondetta. It shows that the list price of the Kato 3061-3 is 7,300 yens. They sell it at 5,840 yens plus 10% tax (+税 means plus tax), so you will pay 6,424 yens. If Popondetta were selling tax free, you would only pay 5,840 yens.

IMG_8429.thumb.jpg.8bb2e332a6d7ab3d8f304f41adadd2ac.jpg

This is a photo taken at Yodobashi. They list the total price, tax included. Since the shop is tax-free, you would actually pay 6,170 yens minus 10% minus a few extra percents discount if you pay with a VISA card.

IMG_0850.thumb.jpg.e92204dcd88a5c6348400a993e8c5397.jpg

Edited by Madsing
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Madsing said:

This is my experience:

Once again thank you! This will save me some money so maybe I can buy more trains. 😁

Cheers!