Krackel Hopper's Progress

Krackel Hopper

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

This is the official start of my first permanent Japanese layout.

The goal of this layout is to work on scenery building.  I want a fun, simple layout to showcase smaller (1-3 car) trains.  While it will not have the track length of my Kato V11 or K3 sets, I feel like I should have a layout done right.  I do enjoy running Dr. Yellow on my V11 on the floor of the living room, but I want more.  Living in an apartment, I cannot create a room sized layout to run bullet trains.. but I did manage to find a shelf (2' x 4') for such a thing.  Having an actual scene, watching my train pull into station, cross streets, go between buildings.. it provides a world for me to get lost in.  Watching Dr. Yellow pass the kitchen table leg before banking left around my girlfriends stack of knitting magazines just doesn't provide that same feeling..

Some basic specs -

600mm x 1200mm (2'x4')

Kato Unitrack R216

Concept -

The scene is not designed to be prototypical or mimic any specific region/area of Japan.  It will be a transition from rural farmland to suburban/city.  The primary dividing line will be a small river/stream with homes and businesses backing up to the bank on one side and rural farmland on the other.

Trackwork -

The track should be rather simple.  A modified oval using Kato R216.  The front will be a straightaway.  On the back, instead of going straight after the 180°, I'm adding an additional 45° and then another 45° to straighten it back out.  So if you can imagine, after the 180° bend, there will be a R216 "S" curve on both sides.  Also, the back half of the layout will be elevated 1" by using woodland scenics 4% inclines.  The incline will start after the front 90° of the curve.  Clear as mud?  I'll post a diagram later.  I have temporarily laid out this track design and tested it.  My Micro-Ace KIHA 40 (fox/crab/squid) run the R216 and the R216 "S" curves with 0 issues.. so I feel good about this radius.

Structures -

Currently, Greenmax will make up the majority of the buildings on this layout.  I have a couple Sankei kits that will probably be used as well.  I am still playing with building arrangements, so this area is subject for major change.  The one building that I know for sure will be on the layout is the Greenmax Small Station (No. 27) along with 2 Greenmax single-sided platforms (No. 28)..

Miscellaneous -

I would love to hear opinions/criticisms of my project.  It is my first, so maybe some folks on here will have some good words of wisdom or key pieces of information that a first time builder might overlook.. 

I have a big pile of Greenmax structures to work on, so it will be some time before I actually start the "layout".. but in the meantime I'll be posting my Greenmax kit projects in here as I go.

Jon

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Production is underway of my Greenmax 803 (small station economy kit) http://www.hwjapan.com/sh/GMX803.aspx

It's not exactly "kit bashing" but, I am doing some station/platform modification.

I'm having trouble finding a decent picture.. but here's the front of the box..

GMX803.jpg

The station is designed to go in-line with the platform (as seen on the box).  The staircase at the end of the station is designed to fit the width of the platform.  The straightaway on the front of my layout is a mere 744mm.. if I were to position the station (135mm) and 2 platforms (200mm each), I am taking up darn near 75% of the front of my layout.  I considered dropping to 1 platform, but then I only have room for single car trains.  End result, I flipped the station.  Instead of running in-line with the platforms it will now "T" into them.  To make this work I had to trim off a little "ledge" on the end of the stairs that was designed to make the platform end.  Then I needed to trim the platform itself.

28.jpg

As you can see, the single-sided platform is molded with one side being a wall with windows.  I had to cut through the wall (with the appropriate spacing) to allow for the stairway of the station to come onto the platform.  Easier said than done.

Currently I am working on cutting the roof to size.  I plan on having 1 platform completely covered, and the other one going half way and finishing with a fence.  Much like you see in the stock photo.

I'll have photos of the progress later tonight, once all the platform pieces finish getting cut.

If this is unclear, hopefully the pictures later will give a better idea of what I'm doing..

Jon

Krackel Hopper

Jon - What material is your 2x4 shelf made of and how will you display the layout?

The shelf is an industrial style steel frame with particleboard shelves.

AAAADAIkCe0AAAAAAFPs9A.jpg

The layout will be using insulation foam board as the base.  So the layout will not actually be attached to the shelf.  It is just being made to fit the space.  The shelf is in a corner, so there will be 2 viewing sides (front & left) while the back and right will be against a wall making it easy to have a backdrop.

Krackel Hopper

Greenmax 803 Update with Pictures

A shot of the modified platform parts:

Greenmax803-1.jpg

Here you can see how the station will "T" into the platform:

Greenmax803-2.jpg

Another shot of how the station/platform will work, this time showing the roof of the platform:

Greenmax803-3.jpg

Finally, here is a (messy) shot of where my layout will be located.  Don't mind all the assorted junk lying around.  You can see the modified oval of track.  The buildings and extra track are just piled on there.  Those have nothing to do with what will be going down on this layout.

Greenmax803-4.jpg

With my station/platform modifications done, it will be time for them to go into the painting and assembling stage.  I should have some updates on that mid/late this week.

Jon

Jon - This is a nice way to display a layout and your trains. Are you planning a yard in the layout? This also a nice way to display your roster.

Krackel Hopper

Jon - This is a nice way to display a layout and your trains. Are you planning a yard in the layout? This also a nice way to display your roster.

I considered it.. and I played around with some track ideas.. but there is simply not enough room.  If I create a yard, it would have to go into the middle of the layout and would take up what is already very tight real estate.

Once this project is done (and if I can make the space) I have considered taking over another shelf for something like that.  We'll see how this project goes first..

Ooh, I like your approach on the use of the GM kit! I've not had this kit in my hands before, but from the GM catalogue and from finished models I could already tell this is a great model for altering and modifying tricks.

Is there a possibility for you to create a small loop in the back of the layout? Maybe with one or two staging tracks, so one could exchange trains to entertain oneself and the viewer with a variation of rolling stock? A backdrop would then hide the loop from the viewers point and create 'surprise' feeling when a new trains emerges. This could be incorporated with switches in the curves I think, as there should be enough space for such a thing. This will provide a guaranteed new perspective on the layout and operating the thing.

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

Just an update.  Nothing major for my layout.  I acquired and have cut the foam board base of the layout now.  So I've been playing around with that.. but moreover..

I decided to do some painting this evening.  These are some of the first greenmax kits I ever put together.  So they're not assembled quite as nice as I would like.. but I decided I should still paint them.  they are certainly not prize winning.. but I'm feeling like I could sneak these in the back of a layout.. get them outside of that microscope view and all the little blemishes start to disappear.. heh..

Greenmax Station 24 & Greenmax Signal Tower 12

Greenmax804-1.jpg

Greenmax Station 24

I can't seem to get a great picture of the station.  Without the flash everything ends up too dark.  With the flash, it's reflecting some odd shadows/light that you don't see with the naked eye.  Either way.. here it is..

Greenmax804-2.jpg

Krackel Hopper

Jon - I think your work looks very good! How do you like working with the Greenmax kits?

I love Greenmax kits.

When I look at a Greenmax kit beside that of a Walthers/Atlas/Bachmann/Model Power/Pola/Faller kit, the attention to detail seems far superior.  I've heard wonderful things about Vollmer kits, but never used one myself.  It seems like most other brands of plastic kits are very blocky, overly thick windows/doors.. things just don't look completely to scale.  Greenmax seems to have much finer details in that area.  Some of their accessories are so fine it's almost impossible to remove them from the sprue.

Also, I know painting can be an issue.. but I love the idea of creating my own color sets for my buildings.  This adds that additional element of uniqueness to your layout.  Sure, somebody might have the same station as you.. but if theirs is brown/cream and yours is blue/white.. you still maintain that unique look..

Greenmax = Win

I'd like to see them start releasing some new kits (besides the latest modular one)

Jon

Martijn Meerts

Vollmer generally have very high quality kits. Some of the newer Faller are also quite decent. But, like any other European model train / model train accesories manufacturer, they all need to cut corners in order to stay in business.

I have a few Greenmax kits as well, but haven't started on them yet. From what I can tell from the parts is that they look very decent. Then again, most building kits I have from Japanese manufacturers are quite amazing (Tamiya, Bandai, Aoshima, Doyusha)

Krackel Hopper

hey hey,

It's been a little while since I've updated.  With the holidays quickly approaching, my obligations elsewhere have kept me from working as much as I would like.. hopefully tomorrow or in a couple days I'll have a few new pictures up.. but here's the verbal update..

Base foam has been cut and a little incline is in place.  The track is temporarily down, but I haven't committed to gluing it yet, just in case..  As far as the actual layout goes.. that is it..

For structures, I've been fairly swamped.. for those who may have missed it, I posted a couple pictures of the station I'll be using on the layout here - http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,1998.0.html -

I am still working on finishing touches for the platform.  Once that is done, pics will be posted.  I also have Greenmax 44 (2 3-story apartments), Greenmax 34 (6 houses), Greenmax 33 (6 2-story shops), and Greenmax 46-4 (4 3-story shops) ALL assembled and primed.  There is a lot of painting to be done in the near future for me..

Unrelated, I was hoping to work on the platform tonight, but instead I will be giving the local railroad club a look.  Their monthly meeting is tonight.  I do not know too much about them, except that they are primarily HO.. maybe an excuse to try and get my hands on a HO scale shinkansen???  heh.. but I do know some of the club models N.. so this could be a good opportunity.. or I just wasted another night that I could/should have been working on my own layout.. ???  I guess we'll find out in about 30 minutes..

Look for an update with pictures later this week!

Jon