Rugby world cup 2019

Grant_T

Not sure if there are too many fans here, but I feel obligated to start a thread being a Kiwi. My second team of course is Japan. Go the Cherry Blossoms!

Japan has a team?  The reason I ask is not because I think the Japanese can't play Rugby, but rather, on all the posters I saw in Japan for this, I never once saw a Japanese flag in the lists of teams being promoted for the Rugby World Cup that was fast approaching, and in Kobe there were posters everywhere in the subway and train stations.  (And probably elsewhere but that is where I noticed them).

It was mostly Commonwealth, Pacific Island type countries, the US, and Russia listed on the posters.

12 hours ago, chadbag said:

Japan has a team?

Yup, and in the last world cup they achieved the greatest upset ever by beating South Africa.

• Like 2

Good weekend of Rugby. NZ, South Africa and Ireland looked very impressive. A lot of the other teams were scratchy. I think it's on for the threepeat for the All Blacks. 😐

And Japan beat world #2 Ireland! Amazing game and Japan look like a Tier 1 team suddenly. Fantastic world cup after only one week.

Japan have done it again, this time against the team ranked No 1 in the world two weeks ago. The World Cup hosts came from nine points down to win after playing with pace, skill and fervour that the humidity and time could not dim.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/28/japan-ireland-rugby-world-cup-match-report

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/28/high-fives-and-cheeky-guinness-as-japan-celebrates-rugby-biggest-shock

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1

Japan predictably lost to South Africa in the quarter final. Great performance overall although. Go the All Blacks!

First semi tonight! All Blacks vs England in Yokohama. Fizzing but a little nervous. Wish I could be there. 😀

All Blacks v England was a bit of a stunner. Haven't seen the All Blacks look so average in a long, long time. Kudos to England. Well played. 

1 hour ago, tossedman said:

All Blacks v England was a bit of a stunner. Haven't seen the All Blacks look so average in a long, long time. Kudos to England. Well played. 

Yeah, lacking a lot of experience in the forwards I think. They lost so much ball to the stronger England side. It's going to be a very different All Blacks side next year. End of a glorious era.

• Thanks 1