Seibu's 'Laview' express

bikkuri bahn

Apparently the response to his design has been positive from foreign observers, according to some youtube posts.  If the design generates interest/buzz from the general public, rather than railfans (who are a tiny minority of the paying public), that's a win for the marketing department, and ultimately, the bottom line (especially if this gets more visitors to Chichibu).

Seibu more interested in foreign observers than domestic riders?  I don't think so.

And yes it has generated buzz.  But for all the wrong reasons.

Did you miss the posts on the first page?  And I've seen other rail fan webpages suggesting it look like male anatomy.

Seibu in general has very little appeal to foreign visitors to Japan.  Most don't know it as a railway exists.  Many this train is to generate some sex appeal for the railway.  What is next though?  Bushes covering their tunnel portals?

bikkuri bahn

First of all, it's a conceptual design, emphasis on "conceptual".  Seibu even mentioned in their press release that the design is not final.  Typically railway designs are very conservative as the designers tend to be in-house.  Only recently have railways gone outside for new ideas (in this case a pritzker award winning architect).  To make an easy comparison- look at automobile conceptual designs- they rarely make it in the exact same form to production, but often elements are kept.

As for the sexual angle (or whatever)- trains tend to have pointy, bulbous ends, so you can say almost all of them are the ultimate phallic symbols. 

Re. foreigners- where is your proof that the area Seibu serves has little interest to foreign visitors (and by foreign I mean not merely from western countries, who are a minority btw)- recently visitors from Asia (particularly Taiwan and Thailand) are ranging farther and to more obscure places off the tourist beaten track.  For all we know a destination like Chichibu may have appeal to them, and such an unusual design may prompt them to take the train rather than say, a cheap bus.  If you may remember, only a few years ago the Chichibu Line was being threatened with closure.  If more people ride the trains, that's a win-win for the railway, the locals, and railfans, even if the trains that helped that aren't what they will buy for their n-scale collections :)

• Like 1

Of course it is a conceptual design.  And for that reason any disagreement of opinion or asking for proof after that fact is just plain old semantics.  Opinions will differ.

Here's an article in English posted by toc36: http://www.spoon-tamago.com/2016/03/14/kazuyo-sejima-to-design-next-generation-bullet-train-that-melds-into-the-environment/

I don't have any figures available, but the majority of Red Arrow services are commuter-orientated, though no bad thing if they can develop the Chichibu end of things a bit - despite being much closer to Tokyo than say the Hakone area, it's much less well-known. I haven't ever seen much in the way of foreign tourists in the area (personally I hope it doesn't come too overrun either).

I didn't even know the Chichibu Railway existed before this thread.  Looks like some interesting riding.  Add that to the long list of to-do's.  Paleo Express is an option since it has unreserved cars.  If only for a small leg of the line.

Lots of freight too. If you go to the far terminus (Mitsumineguchi) there's a small, free open-air museum of old Chichibu stock, free to climb about in (except for the cars which are too dilapidated to be safe).

med_gallery_1206_177_71115.jpg

Yeah that open air museum is near the turntable isn't it?  Plan would be Red Arrow Ikebukuro to Sebi-Chichibu.  Then regular commuter to Mitsumineguichi.  Then ride the SL from Mitsumineguichi to either Yorii or Kumagaya.

Yup, but you need to go out of the station and up the street and over a foor crossing beyond the end of the station to get to it. Also watch out for the connection at Kagemori, not always optimal (though there's a freight yard and a small stabling point, so something to see if you need to wait).

Davo Dentetsu

Can I be brutal?  Not really sure why they've pressed ahead, since it doesn't look particularly reflective...

Edited by Azumanga Davo

I was waiting for someone to make that comment haha! I feel like either the Seibu marketing department or the media exaggerated the talk on reflection. I never really took it seriously.

I also find the design to look better than it did in the artist impression! Although the final verdict has to wait until the front is completely revealed.

I wonder has Seibu mentioned what is the first route for this new train? My guess: Seibu Ikebukuro to Seibu Chichibu.

Davo Dentetsu
19 hours ago, ayokoi said:

I uploaded two videos.

Extraordinarily clumsy disconnect there.  Few red faces, I imagine.