New Layout build

TD6239

Good Morning/Afternoon,

Thought I’d share some progress in making on my as yet un-named layout.

Nothing too complex just a double track loop with a 4 track platform, no real prototype.

Thanks, Tom 

5DC81F94-77F9-4B55-A50E-76B694A1543C.jpeg

A2B36327-94B5-4B48-8ECD-1C45FBA24273.jpeg

• Like 8
Martijn Meerts

What clutter? I don't see any 😄

I like the bit with the hill / tunnel. Adds quite a lot of character.

Yeah I agree, what clutter? It looks pretty nice! I especially like the shot with the tram, the buildings and a train moving on the viaduct... 

Just a suggestion though, those buildings are pretty nice by themselves but I guess some colour would really add more spice to the city landscape! 

Thanks for sharing! 

Managed to find the only pictures without clutter in hindsight 😂

The room is only 240cm (8ft) by 170cm (5ft 8 ish) 

Shelving is IKEA 30cm (12 inch deep) with brackets every foot or so.

Quite abit of detailing to do on the buildings but straight out the box from Outland models I think they don’t look too bad for the price!

Just wondering has anyone got any experience with Woodland Scenics water?

I’ve got a little seafront section next to the mountains and just wondering how difficult the product is to use?

0901799A-23B9-40FA-89BD-BBB20235DDC4.thumb.jpeg.eb62502771ea8882905262b09d0eff05.jpeg

• Like 2
Martijn Meerts

I seem to remember someone on the forum having posted recently about using Woodland Scenics water (Grant_T perhaps). 

Not sure about the Woodland Scenics stuff, but if you use the 2-component resin to make water, you'll need to make sure to cover the foam with something like plaster or sculptamold. Resin gets really hot while it's setting and can melt the foam. No idea if the Woodland scenics stuff get hot when setting as well.

You can also have a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRkUtHQ774mTg1vrQ6uA5A for some tutorials for using water. I believe he uses resin most of the time, but he also has lots of info on how to paint the base board under the water, and various other details like small waves and the like. His 'Realistic Scenery Series' is a joy to watch.

• Like 1

It was Grant, I forget the name of his layout but it’s his only thread in this forum, so it should be easy to find 

• Like 1

I have used the Woodland Scenics Realistic Water (C1211) and it's a fantastic product. As advertised, you can pour it directly from the bottle (no mixing!), it does not crack or shrink. It does not generate any heat at all.

Things to pay attention to:

- Seal the area very carefully to avoid leaks. I used their Flex Paste (C1205).

- Pour thin layers (2~3 mm max) and allow each layer to dry completely before going on. In my case it took about 48 hours per layer!

The surface is completely flat (like a mirror). They have other products to model the surface. I have not used any of them (yet).

As can be seen on these photos, I had some problems near the vertical walls. Due to capillarity, the water appeared to "raise" against the wall. I do not know how to avoid that.

IMG_8832.thumb.jpg.86224abcb0e172d0093f54fe73d1ff05.jpgIMG_8828.thumb.jpg.e81be574ed875248758dd6be1f5cf629.jpgIMG_8827.thumb.jpg.2b08b20490e3b2a688358bc8dde9a7e5.jpg

• Like 6

Finally an update, sadly work has impacted on ‘play time’ but a few updates including my other hobby 😁

Got some more of the fascia done and tidied up the drop feeder wires and got round to making some brackets to hold the take out section when not in use.

Thanks, Tom

455A47AE-1FC2-4BFC-A0C6-1CDF50451A1C.jpeg

B67243B0-9010-4F70-BC98-A1B4FA381111.jpeg