Warm Lighting For Kato

Namba5

Anyone have any tricks to make the Kato 11-212 light kit have a yellow tint? 

I've figured out a few ways but mostly not perfect ways: 

1) thin paper colored with yellowish brown mark double sided taped to the underside of the clear lens plate

2) color the clear lens plate with a yellowish brown marker

3) color tape with yellowish brown marker and tape it to the underside of the clear lens plate

Anyone else have better ideas? Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Ochanomizu said:

Hello,

Did you try the orange lens provided in the light kit?

Yes but it didn't really make it warm. I thought it wasn't very useful. 

Perhaps a good idea to give us an idea of what you’re trying to create. 

You could swap out for the incandescent version 11-213/214. The clear ones are better for modern commuter trains and recreate the harsh fluorescent type lighting you find in these.

The incandescent ones give a much warmer tone, rather than the cool white/blue tint of the clear lights. You also get an orange filter to make them even more yellow. I’ve used these in some of my trains and are a still quite bright.

Edited by Kamome
Just now, Kamome said:

Perhaps a good idea to give us an idea of what you’re trying to create. 

You could swap out for the incandescent version 11-213/214. The clear ear ones are better for modern commuter trains and recreate the harsh fluorescent type lighting you find in these.

The incandescent ones give a much warmer tone, rather than the cool white/blue tint of the clear lights. You also get an orange filter to make them even more yellow. I’ve used these in some of my trains and are a still quite bright.

Ahh perfect thank you so much I'll give them a try. And the 885 series Kamome is exactly the train I'm lighting up 🙂 

Martijn Meerts

You can also try transparent paint and colour the LED directly. Using orange for example will give it a bit of a yellow hue, and multiple coats will add more yellow.

Just need to make sure the paint is somewhat heat resistant. LEDs don't get that hot, but still hot enough for the cheaper hobby paints to have issues.

• Like 1

The yellow filter doesn't do anything for the white lights. But it does help make the "indirect" color much more yellow. I only use the yellow filter to replicate old lights in steam trains. 

• Like 1
On 8/27/2019 at 3:58 AM, Martijn Meerts said:

You can also try transparent paint and colour the LED directly. Using orange for example will give it a bit of a yellow hue, and multiple coats will add more yellow.

Just need to make sure the paint is somewhat heat resistant. LEDs don't get that hot, but still hot enough for the cheaper hobby paints to have issues.

I'll give this a try thanks! 

Might try “gallery glass” paint. You can get it at the craft store. It’s like a thick translucent paint you can paint on wax paper to make a plastic stained glass. I put it over some smd leds to look at it for lenses on streetlights and it seemed to work fine. I did not coma super long torture test, I meant to leave it on for like a month to see if there was any issues. I do turn my smd leds down to like 2-4ma so they do run cooler than interior lighting might where they may be up more like 10-20ma range when running fast.

jeff

• Like 1

Look for some car tail light/indicator repair tape. I've been using it to convert white light torches into night vision-friendly red ones for astronomy, the yellow/amber variety might work well on train lighting.