Exchange student from Japan

marknewton

My son’s school has an annual exchange program with a school in Hitachiomiya, which he signed us up for. Our student arrived today, a young bloke named Akira. He’s only a couple of months older than Harry. I can’t I imagine being this far away from home, family and friends at his age, so I hope we can make him feel as welcome and as comfortable as possible. It will be an interesting experience for us all, I think.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 3

Very good on ya mark! I’m sure you will be the perfect host and harry’s Exposure to Japanese trains and culture will make it an easy transition and great experience!

jeff

• Like 1

Should be fun, just be prepared for the oddest things to cause culture shock from both sides. I've been involved with French and German exchanges in the school I work at, and also with the town twinning group here (although those are generally adults, where you're allowed to say "the town centre is that way, meet back at the coach for 3pm"!)

• Like 1

Just give him an Opal card. He’ll be fine. And we’ve got the best Kinokuniya in Sydney, with all the latest stuff in Japanese, and a decent  teishoku restaurant next door if he feels nostalgic. You can get him to try that concoction called “kombucha” and look at his face when notices it is not tea made of kombu.

• Like 1

So far so good. For their first day together the school organised an excursion to Symbio wildlife park so our kids could get to know the visitors, and the visitors could meet some animals.

After school today we took Akira to the school disco, which was the big event in Waterfall this evening. It never ceases to amaze me that no matter where people come from, no matter what age they are or what their background is, they all know the dance moves for “Nutbush”.  And Akira didn’t disappoint - he danced with the best of them.

Tomorrow we’re off to Olly Park and Newington for a picnic lunch and some sightseeing. 

Khaul: He already has an Opal card that the school provided, but I don’t think I’m up for letting an unaccompanied 13 year-old roam the the network. He and Harry caught the train to school this morning, but as my boy knew the crew they travelled in the cab. Which impressed Akira a lot, according to Harry.

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by marknewton
  • Like 2

No mate, don’t worry. Ask any schoolkid from around here and they’ll teach you! 😂

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1

Has he seen your Japanese trains? Any expression of interest or surprise at seein Japanese models "far" from home?

Cheers NB

• Like 1