Japanese Trains in the U.S by a Brit...

Shinkansen54

Shinkansen54

Hi all,

I joined a few weeks back but never did a Welcome Thread entry, I wasn't sure what to say and didn't really have much to show but things are coming on a pace so here I am.

Shinkansen because why not, and 54 was my jersey number when I played American Football in the UK.

So yeah, this UK ex-pat plans to create a little bit of Japan in his Midwest basement.

Father in law is deeply into his trains with a app 8ft x 20ft O gauge layout, my step-son has a smaller O gauge layout too and therefore it was never going to be long before I got into the hobby too.

I have 2 4ftx4ft tables with an app 1 ft gap splitting them which has an inconvenient post within the gap but I have already literally gotten around that (see pics)

I have been watching a lot of train videos, generally guys from the UK (Everard Junction, Elvenhome, New Junction, Ntrains), (if anyone has any recommendations for Japanese N gauge channels that would be great, I do watch a few Japanese rail-fanning channels too) and I have been learning a lot while I gather funds and start buying a few pieces here and there.  

I own 1 train at the moment Kato E5 Hayabusa, I have most of my track Peco Code 80 and enough cork, some electrical bits etc. I currently waiting for an August train show where I will be looking out for Peco Electrofrog turnouts and Tortoise motors and an NCE Power Cab (not all at once though unless they are SUUUUUPER cheap lol)

As you look at the second pic I plan to put a mountain and tunnel in the bottom right corner, with some traditional style buildings and maybe a shrine area at it's base, this will transition into a more modern city-like area in the centre of the space, the triple tracks to the centre left will have a platform, and the other side of the post has 3 sidings that will be home to a what I hope to be rather unique industrial area...the plans are big but my enthusiasm is bigger ( I just wish the wallet was equal to either of them 😉 ) 

Anyway pics are below...also I posted in the DCC Area about PECO turnouts...if anyone could help me over there that would be awesome.

Happy Modelling everyone

Arigato!!

20190720_161053.jpg

20190702_215515.jpg

• Like 5

Looks very nice!

(This expat is in NC rather than the Midwest, but that's where mah wahf is from.)

I look forward to seeing you around 🙂

Shinkansen54
On 8/12/2019 at 9:48 PM, Chuo said:

Looks like it's coming along! Is the metal framing for control panels and electrical? 👍

No Chuo, I inherited the table, where you can see the sheets up the back of the picture, that is my sons O gauge layout. That used to be the lower deck on his Grandpa's O gauge layout. we bought the house off my wife's parents, Grandpa took his trains, now an enormous layout in their new house. Son uses the old lower deck and I cleared his old table to make my N gauge layout. The metal parts are just framing material that was laying around and was used by Grandpa to make the tables, they were square and solid so I just cracked on.

P.s I will post in appropriate place also but Mid America Toy and Train Show is in KC - 25th August  - KCI EXPO CENTER 11728 Ambassador Dr.
Kansas City, Missouri, 64153 $5 to get in for adults.

Let me know if you might be going.

Shinkansen54
13 hours ago, Onizukachan said:

I envy you having that much room for a permanent layout! 

I am very lucky, my houses in UK had been mostly 4 x 13ft x 13ft terrace housing. I have lived here just over three years and the house still feels huge to me.