Lots of Questions - Sorry

kenjidm

I want to apologize in advance for all the questions..My excitement level went from 0-60 after finding this forum. Also the fact that living in the states I don't have access to seeing a lot of this stuff in person, I admit, I am relying on a book i bought and everyone here. I hope that once I gain all this knowledge, i can be a contributor to someone just like me in the future.  I do try to read a bunch of topics in this forum before asking my dumb questions and also trying to do web searches...unfortunately since i can't read Japanese, it's all about looking at pictures.

But with that said, staying on my topic of my E259 train.  A few questions some of you experts may be able to help me on.

1. Is there a website or somewhere i can find specific replacement parts for each model train, obviously right now I want to find one for my E259 Tomix?
    1. Looking for things like motor, trucks, worm gear, shafts, etc.....I have the 2015-16 book but so many options and the numbers on these parts don't align to what's in the book
  2. Are there different levels of replacement parts?  Meaning, replacing with the same vs higher grade level replacement parts?
  3. How come the numbers on the parts don't translate to the actual part number to buy?  Example coupler says 0512 but it's replacement is JC6325?
  4. I see in some pictures in my book that there is a specific type of track that makes the train go up a tiny bit after leaving a station (only seeing this in a picture).  What piece of track is that?
  5. I noticed in my book that if you buy like a 3 or 6 car set, it comes with a case.  on the left side of the case it looks like a parts list or some type of chart..What is that?  Looks like a grey chart
  6. With $200 (not including shipping cost), what things would you recommend this newbie to buy? Tools? Tracks? More Trains? Replacement parts? Buildings?
  • Like 1

Kenji,

That’s cool let’s take it one step at a time! Exciting getting going and lots of folks here to help and also start looking at some of the older topics as many newbies have gone down the same path and some good info there put forward and also dos and donts some newbies have run across!

For Kato and Tomix, there is usually a list and digram of replacement parts that comes with each train in the box. I think his is what you are seeing in the catalog (sounds like maybe you have a Tomix catalog). Get the google translate app on your phone as it allows you to take picts of bits of a diagram and translate small bits at a time. Make a xerox of the diagram and you can mark it up as you translate bits.

There are only one grade of parts. Finding the specific parts can be a challenge at times if they are out of production and out stock at most places. We can point you to the usual places to look for them once you start getting part numbers needed

The part number on some diagrams have different part order numbers, it can be confusing. Ask if you have questions. It’s ok to post a bit of the diagram or table with stiff hilighted if you have questions, just don’t scan the whole doc and post.

Are there things broken on your E259 train? If not you don’t need to get spare parts as unless something bad happens you rarely need the spare parts and Murphy will make make it so any parts you do buy as spares you will never need and something you don’t have will break! I would wait until you needed something to buy.

if you don’t have much track yet I would get some more track and points and such to start playing with it. For buildings you can start for free and print many out and assemble to just have some shapes and ideas in place to then get better buildings later. Playing a lot early on is really good to learn what you like and don’t like. You can do little scenery bits/islands as well to start some ideas going and play with scenery techniques. Here is a great article on this idea of temp setups and scenery islands.

http://japanrailmodelers.org/pages/modelingjapan/tempoary.html

play a lot it really helps!

jeff

• Like 2

Sorry I cannot help you with most of you questions.  I just don't understand most of them.  Best to use actual pictures instead of the typed world if you are trying to describe something.

But I did pick up a common vibe about parts throughout your questioning.  My advice for any newbie would be to buy only new products.  So you don't need to worry about spare parts early on in the piece.

I’m sure that everyone will have advice about what to spend $200 on. 

I would look out for 1-car or 2-car EMU/DMU passenger trains, or a small loco, a few Koki wagons and a handful of shipping containers. As far as trains go, these will give lots fun for the money. 

kenjidam,

No need to worry about spare parts at this stage.

There are Starter sets available in both Kato and Tomix, these companies are the larger Japanese N scale model train manufacturers.

These sets comprise an oval of track, a train, perhaps a 'Bullet' train (Shinkansen) or a suburban electric train, and a controller, (essential!), and sometimes a set of points (switch)' . so you can hold another train there.

Start with one of these and see how you go.

There are several Japanese mail order houses which have great ranges of models, yes, you have to pay for the postage, but they have stuff that is not easy to get in your home town or state.

I'm in Australia, not much in the way of shops selling N gauge Japanese trains here, so get all my stuff by mail order.

I use a firm Hobbysearch, stick this in Google and see what turns  up. 

Model trains are only one of the lines that they handle.

Note that between Aug 10th and 20th., they cannot do business as their office is being renovated, but their website should still be available and give you plenty of info.

You mentioned a book that you have, is it in English or Japanese, and what is its title?

Of course, you've started on a path that could consume you in the future!

But, best of luck!

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Keep an eye open for the Kato "Kokuden" 103 Series units which should be back in stock in the next few weeks.

These are cheap 3-car EMUs using older tooling and a modern Kato chassis. So they look a little bit chunky but run superbly. No lights, but given I paid £20 including post from Japan for my orange one a few years ago I'm quite happy! The 103 Series have had a long service life, with some units still operating today. The Kokudens are models of the earliest type of 103 Series from the 60s, before they gained aircon.

They're also perfect if you want to get into detailing your trains later on. It's easy to add air conditioning pods and the various aerials and roof details the real things acquired as the years went by. Look up the Tsurumi Line, you can convert a Kokuden into one of the units used on this line with parts from Kato and GreenMax.

If you want to spend more the main range Kato 103 Series are fairly easy to find and good value. They offered six car units and four car add-on sets. The cab cars on these do have directional lighting.

• Like 1

Hobby Search has them for ~3600 yen. They look like a great project for someone with some slushing gundam markers or rust pens who’s looking for a low cost train to improve 

I just used plain acrylic paints and some very fine brushes on mine. And a piece of ultra thin wire to dot the tail lights with red paint. I didn't bother trying to do anything with the windscreen surrounds but may go back and do so later, as I've now worked out how to get the unpowered vehicles apart.

My Tsurumi Line conversion still needs the headlights converting to the twin type, nobody seems to make an overlay to fill in the original single headlight housing and I've yet to summon the enthusiasm to try. My orange one needs a bit of work on the aircon pod fitment followed by a quick dust of paint on the roofs. Other than that they look the part, and I want to grab blue and emerald green versions this time for similar treatment.

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:02 AM, kenjidm said:

1. Is there a website or somewhere i can find specific replacement parts for each model train, obviously right now I want to find one for my E259 Tomix?
    1. Looking for things like motor, trucks, worm gear, shafts, etc.....I have the 2015-16 book but so many options and the numbers on these parts don't align to what's in the book

Unfortunately, the only help you can get that is most accurate would be on Tomix actual site although I doubt it can help much... Kato is much more helpful in terms of parts finding as they usually come with a full part list for the train set, like so for example

1. Are there different levels of replacement parts?  Meaning, replacing with the same vs higher grade level replacement parts?
  2. How come the numbers on the parts don't translate to the actual part number to buy?  Example coupler says 0512 but it's replacement is JC6325?

I think there isn't exactly different levels of replacement parts, but rather, newer vs older models of the same parts... sort of an upgrade of sorts when a set gets re-release in the future to have certain upgrades to it although it is basically still the same set... 

As for the numbers, that is the tough part... I am still figuring out a lot of my own parts, but the parts catalogue certainly does help 

1. I see in some pictures in my book that there is a specific type of track that makes the train go up a tiny bit after leaving a station (only seeing this in a picture).  What piece of track is that?

Cant say I've seen a track much like this... the closest I can relate to is maybe the rerailer track?

1. I noticed in my book that if you buy like a 3 or 6 car set, it comes with a case.  on the left side of the case it looks like a parts list or some type of chart..What is that?  Looks like a grey chart

Depending on the model, some sets come with the book case, some don't... sometimes it's the basic set with the book case, sometimes it's the add-on... I am thinking the chart you are referring to is the train Formation chart, like this prehaps?

1. With $200 (not including shipping cost), what things would you recommend this newbie to buy? Tools? Tracks? More Trains? Replacement parts? Buildings?

I would say a basic track. You need a controller, tracks and a basic train set that you really like. From there, you can run the train and gauge how much you like running it, and maybe expanding it... From there, I would say building up the layout goes next... This moves into the planning phrase, where tracks and buildings come in... Of course, along the way, we certainly will grab some train sets that we like... 

And well, I guess parts is about the last thing to worry about... that is until some trains start breaking down... 

One other thing about train sets, if it's a multiple unit or a Shinkansen then there will be add-on packs to bring it to a prototypical length. Check you can still get them before buying. Also decide which track system you want to use, as they can't be mixed freely. There are adapter sections but it's easier if you standardise on Kato or Tomix. Kato Unitrack seems easier to come by outside Japan, but Tomix offer a wider range.

Incidentally, if you buy a set with an MU or part of a passenger train then the first add-on set usually includes a book style case with empty slots to hold the stock from the train set. You can buy empty cases from Kato, Tomix and Casco to make up your own boxed sets too, like my Tomix Asakaze set in this Casco case:

Folks, 

One item that kenjidm will need is a re-railer.

Nothing is more annoying than trying to get all the wheels of a train, even a three or four car set onto the rails.

I suspect that a Starter set would include a re-railer.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

2 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Folks, 

One item that kenjidm will need is a re-railer.

Nothing is more annoying than trying to get all the wheels of a train, even a three or four car set onto the rails.

I suspect that a Starter set would include a re-railer.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Bill yes my starter set did come with it. Thanks for looking out.  It would be a pain without it.

Hopefully most of your questions have been answered but here are my answers to your questions.

1. Replacement parts are vast. Each model has specific parts for the model as well as some generic parts which are shared over numerous models. (Such as motors, pantographs, bogies) The generic spares are easier to find but model specific spares don’t appear on manufacturers websites. Hobbysearch carry spares when models are released but this can be difficult for noobs to navigate. 

2.Spares are standard for the model in question. Some models have specific features and maybe updated with re-releases. Headlights upgraded to using LEDs instead of filament bulbs as an example. 

3. Not too sure on this one. Perhaps the manufacturer part code and retail code for the coupler pack.

4. Try and be specific with questions about  pictures you have. (In Tomix catalogue 2018-2019 page 205) This will help the people on the forum assist you far better with your question. It’s difficult to know in your question whether you’re looking at track parts or a diorama image.

5. A lot of the longer trains are bought across 2 or 3 sets. One of these sets usually comes with a hard case to keep the entire train in. Many of the “starter” or short consist trains come in a polystyrene case with a cardboard sleeves instead.

Some of the Tokyo commuter trains are 15 cars long and from Kato, as example, you buy 4 different packs to create the entire 15 car train. (4 car, 4 car, 2 car, 5 car) 2 of these packs have hard cases, 8 cars in one, 7 in the other. You can, as already mentioned buy.

6. I’m sure everyone will give you a different answer here. Like some have already said, play and see what you enjoy. I see you already have a Tomix NEX. Maybe you’ll find you’ll want another train first, perhaps a commuter train so you have something different to your express. Maybe you’ll want to buy a station first or perhaps get some double track.  

Tools I always find you build up as you need them.

Hope these answers help.

• Like 1