Trains in China! Just wow! But what about the Maglev?

poloking

After having spent a few months in Sri Lanka and India travelling on around 100 hours of trains, my wife and I were starting to think that we were getting bored of trains... 😲 

We just finished a month in China and wow this is something else. We took a 14 hour bullet train from Shanghai to Chengdu and it was so comfortable that the time flew by! Even the "Slow" trains are pretty comfortable, clean, air-conditioned and very cheap.

I think China is really an exciting place to explore train travel! Can't wait to see if the mag-lev will actually get built! I want to get on that as soon as it's ready! Do we think they will actually build it? Or is it just showing off?

If you are going to Shanghai you can take the maglev out to the airport, only about 20miles but gets up to 430kph.

jeff

• Like 1

Yeah! We saw this, but our arrivals into Shanghai were much too late after the Mag-Lev stopped running 😞 Next time I will plan the flights better! 🙂 

China is massively investing in maglevs. They have a prototype fast train that will be going at 600 km/h speeds, and Changsha and Beijing area already using their first generation medium-speed maglevs on their airport / metro lines. Current top speed of these are 100 to 120 km/h, second gen: 160 km/h, third gen: 200 km/h. Can't wait to see the progress this decade.