marknewton

Kato EF81 in HO

marknewton

Hobby Search have advised that Kato’s EF81 models in the general and Hokutosei liveries will be available for pre-order from September 2019.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

Kamome

I’m tempted by both

marknewton

So am I! Well, at least the one in normal livery.

Mark.

Kamome

Yes that would be my first choice but if they’re the usual Kato price point I might be tempted to start a Hokutosei.

Welshbloke

Any word on pricing yet? I have to say I'd be very tempted to undercut the Tomix one by having a few sprues of detail for the owner to fit, if I were in Kato's shoes. That is their standard approach anyway.

Also, reruns of the Hokutosei coaches and the R370 coupler bits (and the ones for the EF510) please!

Kamome

Not as yet but I’d expect it to be in the EF65 price point (¥18500 + tax) or there abouts rather than that of the EF510. I’d prefer a reasonably well-detailed model rather than something that omits certain things to keep costs lower.

The usual online retailers will I’m sure have their regular discounts.

catcliffedemon

Competition is no bad thing and the EF81 is a fantastic looking locomotive... However, as Tomix have run the EF81 in HO quite a few times would have been nice to see something a little different from Kato, maybe an EMU (would that be their first for them in HO?). If you're going to duplicate something I'd have much preferred a 115 series as the Tomix are well out of my price range 🙂

marknewton

It wouldn’t be a first for them in HO. They’ve recently produced KuMoHa12 and KuMoHa40 series EMUs. Before that they made 165 series trains and Kintetsu’s Urban Liner. 

Cheers,

Mark.

catcliffedemon

Thanks, I've been following Japanese HO for a while and I'd never come across the Kato HO 165 before... the KuMoHa12 and KuMoHa40 I'll admit I glossed over because that era doesn't interest me. The 165 is pretty cool and is adaptable, but when was the last time they released this? They have made run after run of the KiHa 58/28.

Kamome
6 hours ago, catcliffedemon said:

I've been following Japanese HO for a while and I'd never come across the Kato HO 165 before...

They pop up on auction from time to time but Kato hasn’t done a run of these for some time. I see a lot of the add-on coaches around though.

I guess the decision to produce the EF81 is that it fits easily into their range and they’ve already produced rolling stock that can be prototypically paired with it.  As their HO range is a lot smaller, it’s a much safer bet to produce something that compliments their other items.

If you take the recent Kiha 81 release as an example, they’ve already produced all the others Kiha 80 type coaches before so they’re not having to design and create molds for lots of new things which is a lot of investment.

Welshbloke

I am a little surprised that Kato haven't re-released the 165 Series recently, what with Tomix offering the 153 Series and KuMoNi 83s. I've seen diagrams for sets mixing the types, such as a 153 Series with an extra KuMoHa/MoHa 165 Series pair on the front or pure 165 Series sets with a KuMoNi 83 or two.

marknewton
On 8/11/2019 at 6:37 AM, catcliffedemon said:

Thanks, I've been following Japanese HO for a while and I'd never come across the Kato HO 165 before...The 165 is pretty cool and is adaptable, but when was the last time they released this?

I’ve had my 165s for about 10 years. 

Cheers,

Mark.

Kamome

Preordered the standard colour EF 81 and the upgrade parts set.