Jump to content
Grant_T

Tokyo, Hakone and Kyoto August 2019

Recommended Posts

Grant_T

At the end of this month I'm attending a conference in Kyoto, so my wife and I decided to make a trip of it. Ten days starting in Tokyo and ending in Kyoto. We have our JR passes, a couple of days in a fancy hotel in Hakone booked, and (as stipulated by my wife) tickets for Universal Studios Japan. It can't come soon enough because work has been a real drag recently. Of course I'll also do some train-related shopping and photography.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
bikkuri bahn

You can even make the trip to USJ a bit of a railfan event, as the JR station before the USJ stop, Ajikawaguchi, is right alongside a freight yard.  You may see electric locos or a hybrid shunter.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Yavianice
4 hours ago, Grant_T said:

At the end of this month I'm attending a conference in Kyoto, so my wife and I decided to make a trip of it. Ten days starting in Tokyo and ending in Kyoto. We have our JR passes, a couple of days in a fancy hotel in Hakone booked, and (as stipulated by my wife) tickets for Universal Studios Japan. It can't come soon enough because work has been a real drag recently. Of course I'll also do some train-related shopping and photography.

in my signature you can find a map of train shops I visited in japan, that might be useful.

 

There is also a burger joint with model train diorama's that you could visit. One is across the Ponpondetta in the Aeon Mall just south of Kyoto Station. https://www.chouchou-popon.jp/burger/?fbclid=IwAR1eBONo7zlRnF6Du64OSjkQ8IGr3bxeN_TSNJKdFWNjqsooJqihV_XV_Tg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
paolo

Hakone is a truly beautiful place, I've been there last year. So many interesting places to visit around the lake, and the train route to get to Gora is so nice, through the woods, with a couple of switchbacks.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw

Do you need a rail pass for Tokyo to Odawara to Kyoto?

Share this post


Link to post
Grant_T
6 hours ago, katoftw said:

Do you need a rail pass for Tokyo to Odawara to Kyoto?

 

Yes, we did the sums. We are also going back to Tokyo for our flight out of Narita and will likely make a day trip south on the Shinkansen from Kyoto. BTW, are you aware how rude you come across on this site? 

Share this post


Link to post
katoftw
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Grant_T said:

 

Yes, we did the sums. We are also going back to Tokyo for our flight out of Narita and will likely make a day trip south on the Shinkansen from Kyoto. BTW, are you aware how rude you come across on this site? 

It is not rude for asking a legit question.

 

Your first post did say starting Tokyo, ending Kyoto. Hence my question.

 

Apologies if it seemed rude.

Edited by katoftw

Share this post


Link to post
ben_issacs

Grant-T'

There are previous posts on things to do around Kyoto, the Sagano Romantic Rly., the trip over Mt Hei and beyond,  the Keifuku (Renden) light rail system and the Umekoji Railway Museum are amongst the attractions around this city..

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Grant_T
20 hours ago, ben_issacs said:

Grant-T'

There are previous posts on things to do around Kyoto, the Sagano Romantic Rly., the trip over Mt Hei and beyond,  the Keifuku (Renden) light rail system and the Umekoji Railway Museum are amongst the attractions around this city..

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

 

 

 Hi Bill,

thanks. I've been to Kyoto a couple of times before. We went to the railway museum last time. I'll check out your other suggestions though. Most of my time will probably be spent attending conference presentations. Which reminds me that I still need to write my powerpoints. 😐

 

Grant

Share this post


Link to post
Grant_T

I'm not a big one for taking tourist photos, but it has been an amazing trip so far. A couple of bad pics of the Hakone line, our fancy hotel private onsen (recommended) and view, and some of the local tourist attractions. It has been brutally hot and humid though, especially coming from mid-winter Christchurch.

 

 

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

 

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×