Some more odd English translations of JR freight car classes.

ben_issacs

Folks, 

Hobby Search's mechanical translations of Japanese text into English can give some odd results.

Often one comes across a car type 'Wham'. This is obviously WaMu.

Then there is car type 'Tiger'.

The ordinary four wheeled open wagon is usually a ToRa, but the mech. translator picks this up as one word, 'Tora' which means 'Tiger'.

But a couple of recent goodies that I came across were 'Armpit 5000' and 'Jobs 5000'.

These were quoted as part of a train for an EF70-1000 elec. loco model.

Any thoughts on 'armpits' and 'jobs' would be welcome!

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

I find some translations related to KoKi that translate to NSFW things that we can't mention here.  This is on Amazon JP with language set to English, so it is their auto translate.

• Haha 1
48 minutes ago, ben_issacs said:

Any thoughts on 'armpits' and 'jobs' would be welcome!

"Armpits" would be "WaKi".

Koki come out as Jobs fairly often. 

I have wondered whether the Hokey Kokey is actually a reference to an unreliable container flat.

Folks, 

So, 'Armpits' is WaKi, the bogie vans, and 'Jobs' is KoKi, the container bogie flats.

Thanks for that info.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

I can't for the life of me imagine how "KoKi" gets translated into "jobs", can you provide a link to the page where you got that?

1 minute ago, railsquid said:

I can't for the life of me imagine how "KoKi" gets translated into "jobs", can you provide a link to the page where you got that?

Hmm, though actually thinking about it "job(s)" could be the second word in the 2 word NSFW phrase alluded to by chadbag.

3 minutes ago, railsquid said:

Not just jobs, but somewhat NSFW jobs.   Do a search on amazonco.jp for

KATO Koki 107

or similar and look at some of the descriptions. 

Oddly enough I just saw a KoKi 50000 listed as an, ahem "manual assistance" 50000 on Amazon UK...

Need to find another source for a Tomix HO KoKi 106, as the ebay seller emailed this morning to say they'd dropped it and therefore didn't have stock, and would I like a refund or to wait. Having waited for months for things before now I took the refund.

If you can wait a little, Tomix are releasing some more Koki 107s in the coming months. Also the Koki 104 and Seino containers are due out sometime this month. 

11 hours ago, chadbag said:

Not just jobs, but somewhat NSFW jobs.   Do a search on amazonco.jp for

KATO Koki 107

or similar and look at some of the descriptions. 

At least it says in the description, that JR Freight approved this application.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Kamome said:

If you can wait a little, Tomix are releasing some more Koki 107s in the coming months. Also the Koki 104 and Seino containers are due out sometime this month. 

Yep, pre-ordered a couple of 107s and a pack of the green 50th anniversary containers from Hobbysearch. Hopefully all will reach them at the same time rather than being split. I had previously ordered packs of JRF and JOT containers from eBay which made it out of the warehouse without being dropped!

Now to work out how to make the KoKi loading look unplanned, and also swap one or both of my 20' containers over to the KoKi 200 (freeing space on the KoKi 106 for some of the incoming nine 12' ones).

• Like 1

Google Translate also occasionally translates KuMoYa as Spider Uni, Clouds, or most memorably Spiderman. Which does bring thoughts of a surreal anime series about your friendly neighbourhood tractor unit.

• Haha 2