Getting started in modeling again

Kenji

I am living in the US.  I lived in Japan about 18 years ago and I am digging out my old Kato N scale trains.  I don't need as much as I purchased so I'm thinking of selling some.  I have some items that may not be made anymore and they are in excellent shape.  Where is the best to sell them and to someone that will not just resell but give them a nice home and appreciate them?  Also, can some of the old Kato trains be converted easily to DCC?

• Like 1

Hi Kenji!

This is a great place to find a good home for any surplus trains (or other items) ... having said that, my understanding is that our buy/sell forums are open to people who have been members for a number of months. I can tell you from first hand experience that it feels like forever 

Welcome kenji,

you found the place with others like you! 

We have a classified sale forum here, but you need to be a member for 3 months and have 50 posts before you can get access to it (this is for folks to get to know you and not have folks only use the forum to sell trains). Listings are free and other members can pm you to set up sales. Ebay is an option as well. Not many resellers here in the us for Japanese trains.

most Japanese trains can get converted to dcc, some are easier than others, but trains that are not dcc ready (Kato has been making a lot dcc ready with drop in decoder slots the last few years) require you to go in and isolate the motor and wire in the decoder between power and motor with the usual methods for non dcc ready trains. We have a forum for electronics and dcc so you can see some of the trains folks have done and post questions there. A number of avid dcc folks in the community.

cheers

jeff

Welcome to the forum Kenji!  Older kato models usually aren't too difficult to convert to dcc, I've done so on a few models.  If you need any help plenty of us here have experience in doing such installations. 

Welcome Kenji.If you go through the process of converting your trains to dcc, take plenty of pictures and post them up. We're always here to help figure out any troubles as well.

To semi answer the question, almost every single train, locomotive, railcar, or train related accessory I own (save some track and one F3b unit I own) were all bought from eBay. That’s where your best place to sell is IMO. 

Edited by Onizukachan
Shinkansen54

I own one train at the moment and I bought that at a train show, so can't help with the where's and how's, but welcome and I look forward to your next 49 posts 🙂