Kato 200 Shinkansen (10-129) running problem

Pauljag900

7E64C027-B1EB-455E-826F-827B5C30024A.thumb.jpeg.3d1c66191f542a83d25e0cbecbdba97d.jpeg

3D2BB1C0-7261-4951-8DD9-15C20DA4FDDC.thumb.jpeg.202dd8d39ffc99eb362aa8248706ffee.jpeg

Gents,

i have an issue with my 200 Shinkansen,the motor is running but it does not move or very very slowly,I m guessing it’s worn gears in the bogies or the drive shafts.

can anyone help me identify the part no s from this tech sheet please as I can t read Japanese.

or if anyone knows what they are would be great.👍😀

Paul,

one thing to try is the google translate slate app on your iPad. You can take a photo and run your finger over bits to get translations. Works great for this sort of thing. I use it on instructions all the time.

i think it’s the drive shafts that are the problem. Have you removed the trucks at all on this yet? If you have sometimes when putting it back in the drive shaft end does not get into the motor coupling. Alternative the little nibs on the end of the drive shaft which engage inside the motor or truck coupler will get stripped off and thus just spin in the coupler. When one goes the other takes all the stress and can then strip as well. I’ve fixed a dozen or two in the club over the years like this.

cheers,

jeff

• Like 1

As this particular set is almost 25 years old, the part numbers are probably obsolete now. I have a slightly newer release of the 200 series, (10-1156) released in 2012.

I will check what the new part numbers are when I finish work and post, unless other members do before then.

As @cteno4 mentioned, it sounds like it could be a drive shaft issue. Maybe be worth taking it apart to check out damage, or build-up of fuzz preventing it running properly.  The bogies , once removed from chassis, should come apart easily. The botttom drops out (secured by a clip front and back.) Check the gears for crud, fuzz. I give mine a clean with Kato Uniclean and toothbrush. Best to check all avenues first before getting new parts.

Here’s the updated parts list. Bogie and driveshaft is in the center.

Part number 4071-2D1     ¥735

A new motor chassis will set you back ¥2310 but you’d still need to buy bogies separately.

I’ve also seen just drive shafts on their own but not sure if the lengths differ between EMUs

C7BF8FC3-A279-40EB-BD97-D44D87D2381C.thumb.jpeg.66228395a896566a350d1b40c1958d3a.jpeg

Edited by Kamome

Unfortunately with Kato at times you can’t get the drive shafts by themselves and have to buy the whole bogie and shaft.

Then shafts are out of stock at hs. 10 for 500¥. Part Z04-0866

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10183814

full bogie/shaft oos as well for 700¥.

over the years i have picked up a pack or two of available drive shafts as many are a couple hundred yen for 2 (10 pack is odd) just to put aside for when needed later as they can be hard to get when you need them. I’ve also frankensteined a couple of very close Tomix into kato units successfully. 

Tomix even has some shafts that are adjustable in length and just glue them to the right length.

its funny I’ve not had to repair any in the club the last 3 or 4 years. Before that is was like every few months. One member did do most of them, but he would make these wild temp layouts at home with lots of crazy grades, tight curves, and run his trains very fast all recipes for stripping a drive shaft. I even found one snapped in half.

jeff