Japanese N scale rail fans.

Folks, 

In my travels in Japan, I notice the very frequent groups of camera carrying rail fans on many station platforms, usually grouped at the end, awaiting that special shot.

Also, even for ordinary passengers, sometimes when watching people alighting from just a local train, one or two of them will stop and take a shot or two of the train.

It'd be nice to stick a few groups of fans on the ends of our model platforms, Tomytec do a group of photographers, one could even do a lineside group.

Indeed, it seems that many of the model stations shown on this forum aren't anywhere as crowded as a real-life station.

Yes, I know that there is a cost in putting a number of bods on a platform, or in the street, but it could add to the scene.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne

Yep Tomytec makes a figure pack of photographers that works great for this. We have a small group at the end of one of the platforms on our club layout. I’ll look for a pict.

The main reason folks don’t do prototypical figure density is the cost. Figures can get expensive from $0.50-3.00 each for good ones. The cheap architectural figures at a couple cents each are nice to fill in crowds but start to not look so nice when you get below a foot or in closer photos. I’ve usually just split the difference and tried to use the Chinese architectural figures for the background crowd and the nicer figures along the edge and places the eye goes to more. But it’s a trade off. When you start placing figures you start to realize how many you need even for more sparse scenes.

there are also a limited number of individual figures as well, important when you need hundreds for a big full platform. Repainting some helps, but that can be tedious.

jeff

you also need to find that crossing or hillside where there is a good view of the trains on your layout for a few!

jeff

Folks, 

Not suggesting a Yamanote Loop platform at peak hours, but perhaps twenty bods distributed about two platforms.

Yes, there's a cost involved, but one spends a lot more on one train set or loco.

For a country or small local line station, two or three bods plus the obligatory rail fan.

Most Japanese station foot bridges are closed in, so no possibilities there, maybe a small road overbridge, or a rail overbridge, with fans in the valley below.

Regards, 

Bill,

Melbourne.